• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was planning on getting a pair of Ande Whall jeans tapered (streaky grifter), and was curious how high up the leg can be tapered, without making the jeans look horrible? I wanted to taper the knee about 1/2", and the hem about 3/4" to 1".

The current measurements of the jeans are:
Knee 8 1/2"
Hem: 8 1/2"

I would like the measurements to come out around:
Knee: 8"
Hem: 7.5"

Any reason to think this will throw off the look of the jeans?

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just got my first raw denim (Levi's STF 501xx) and heard it was unsanforized. Is it okay to wear them unwashed ? Because I love the greyish blue tone of them, and know they turn a deep rich blue if you soak them. Unless someone knows a washing method to preserving that color.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
anyone know where i can get a pair that fits like this (taken from sufu) below?

this is my preference in jean fit , and below is perhaps the epitome in what i want in a fit (my preference in jean fit is more aligned with sufu ok guys?)

sometfit008.jpg

low rise,
not antifit seat,
very slim thigh,
tapered leg not skinny but slim
36~ inch inseam
heavy 14oz or more japanese selvage denim.

those above are somet 008 which i did return for an exchange for the 003 due to the silly darts that run way past my knees. if it werent for the darts, i would have kept them

what resembles the 008 the most? what is out there? the 003 somet i have are slim but are baggy from the knee down compared to the above. my pure blue xx007 alhtough very slim are almost bootcut. i would think dior, but i heard they are antifit and unfortunately non selvege.

anybody have any idea? the above fit has been always elusive to me yet far and i am still searching searching.

matsuya

Reaction score
I want to get some regular Levis 514's. I have a 31" waist but my thighs are a little larger than average. I went to Kohl's but they only have 32", I'm wondering how the 31" would fit. Do people normally get these in their normal waist size?

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received my 5EP LDB in raw from revolve. Awesome jeans. The color itself is very complex and hard for other brands to replicate. The materials and hardware appear top notch. A size 32 seems to fit my size 33.5" waist fine. I was a little apprehensive when ordering because of the relatively high rise (due to my short torso) but the fit turned out exactly what I wanted in the jeans.

I just wanted to know what weights the denims are so I can plan my next purchases. I probably need a lighter one and one heavier one. Are the 5EP's a 14.5oz?

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a stain on my raw's, checked the SuFu list, and this one ain't on it.

Last night at dinner some grease from garlic bread dripped onto my lap, causing one big, and two smaller dark spots on the crotch. I tried cold washing only the affected areas, but got up this morning and found them still there.

I really don't want to walk around looking like I pissed myself, and these are only 1 month old (one hot soak to set creases) so I don't fancy washing them yet. Should I try using small amounts of soap or detergent?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I just wanted to know what weights the denims are so I can plan my next purchases. I probably need a lighter one and one heavier one. Are the 5EP's a 14.5oz?
I think 5ep uses the same weight for all their jeans (prove me wrong, people) in which case the 5epxSF is 13.5oz.

Originally Posted by heyheyhey
Hey guys, I've got a stain on my raw's, checked the SuFu list, and this one ain't on it.
There's two ways of looking at it. One is that you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Not sure which "raws" you have but typically if you try spot cleaning dry denim you end up making that particular area lighter than the rest of the jean because you'll need some friction to get the oil out. Washing the jeans with just water isn't going to help here since if I remember my jr high science class... oil repels water. So spot clean it and you'll live with jeans that have lighter areas than others; don't clean it and you've got oil stains.

The other way to look at it is my preferred method: anything that happens in the course of breaking in a pair of jeans is fair game and trying to clean up bits here and there is like trying to rewrite history.

We've all got stains somehow or another. Eventually they'll fade away and become part of the denim.

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
if I remember my jr high science class... oil repels water.

Being a chemistry student, i really should have remember that.
smile.gif

So either wash them in the machine, or just leave it until it goes naturallly. I think I'll leave it, who knows, might add some lovely character after 6 months.

Cheers.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is the KMW 1980 slimmer in most respects than the Rag and Bone RB11 eventho they are straight legs?

junkyard dog

Reaction score
hey guys
i'd like some help on another pair of jeans to get. I'm not a skinny jeans kinda guy, so those are out right off the bat.

i'm only 5'8, so usually have to get the bottom hemmed. i weigh 175lbs so not skinny, but not fat.

i like low rise, darker denim, either straight or bootcut

as example something that works for my body that ive been wearing are: 7's "montana style", 34" waist, dark soft denim, boot cut.

What would work for me?

junkyard dog

Reaction score
i'd say up to $200 would fit my budget

oh and i know this is getting picky and its not a deal breaker, but i prefer zip up fly to buttom fly. oh and if age matters, i'm 28

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads