1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. KimboIsLegit

KimboIsLegit Member

I'm looking to move up from Levis 514s into some premium raw jeans, which has a fit similar to 514s?

2. BYucko

BYucko Senior Member

Ok, I wear boxers, they bunch up, I'm starting to notice crazy underwear fades. And it's annoying to flatten my underwear out in the morning.

Change to briefs, maybe...? Thoughts?

3. 8bpc

8bpc Senior Member

Ok, I wear boxers, they bunch up, I'm starting to notice crazy underwear fades. And it's annoying to flatten my underwear out in the morning.

Change to briefs, maybe...? Thoughts?

I think this has been covered many times... yes, briefs or boxer-briefs are commonly suggested for tight fitting jeans so you are correct.

4. morse9443

morse9443 Senior Member

haha, I've reverted back to wearing only whitey tighties when wearing my SD103's cuz everything else bunches up, And now they're all blue too......

5. SilentEdge

SilentEdge Active Member

6. BYucko

BYucko Senior Member

I really hope the boxer damage then is reversable.

Time to get back to Sears for some underwear shopping...

7. phobs

phobs Active Member

did your new pair of black APC ns smell kinda funky when you got them?

8. noorotic

noorotic Active Member

Just picked up my first pair of selvage denim...settled on some KMW 1950's....Not as stiff as I was expecting after reading replies from people...They're pretty incredible though....sized down one and it was painful to wear for the first day but they stretched out perfectly pretty quickly...Thoughts on the fit? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. DocHunter

DocHunter Senior Member

Looking for a fit pic and/or a rise measurement for the Earnest Sewn Hutch. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

bump

10. shade449

shade449 Well-Known Member

Crossposting this from the ask a question thread:

Ok, so I decided that I want a pair of jeans with a lower rise. My favorite fit atm is my Rag & Bone RB16. Here are the measurements (sz 31):

Actual waist: 32"
    Actual inseam: 31"
    Front rise: 10"
    Approx thigh: 10.5"
    Knee: 8"
    Leg opening: 7"

Doesn't matter if inseam is longer but I'd like for all the other measurements to be pretty close to this (except with a lower rise obviously). Any suggestions? I was thinking DH 19cm's myself since I love the black raw but I don't really know any accurate measurements for them.

11. machochino

machochino Senior Member

I am fairly new to raw denim and this forum, but I do love SF! I have done a good amount of reading on here but I couldn't find a straight answer to my raw denim question.

I purchased a pair of used RRDS and new Black Imperial Kings thanks to opinions of SF members. I know you're suppose to "wear in" your raw jeans and companies often say do the first wash after 6 months to a year. Does this mean after the first wash/rinse the raw denim will no longer fade or distress as much as when brand new/unwashed? I know when you wash/rinse the dye will fade but does it also mean the dye gets more "sealed" in the denim?

The reason for this is, I bought a pair of used RRDS, which the denim is very soft and not rigid anymore. But the jeans barely have any whiskering/distressing. The color is also a very blue indigo, no longer the dark rich dye. So these jeans probably have been washed contrary to what the seller told me? Will I still be able to wear in the jeans with my own "imprints"? Should I just find a brand new pair of RRDS?

12. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I purchased a pair of used RRDS and new Black Imperial Kings thanks to opinions of SF members. I know you're suppose to "wear in" your raw jeans and companies often say do the first wash after 6 months to a year. Does this mean after the first wash/rinse the raw denim will no longer fade or distress as much as when brand new/unwashed? I know when you wash/rinse the dye will fade but does it also mean the dye gets more "sealed" in the denim?
    Jeans will fade regardless if you wash them once a month or biannually (AS LONG AS YOU WEAR THEM.) The "six month" rule has been popularized by Nudie because people tend to see more dramatic contrasting post-wash when the jeans have been given time to be broken in.
    The reason for this is, I bought a pair of used RRDS, which the denim is very soft and not rigid anymore. But the jeans barely have any whiskering/distressing. The color is also a very blue indigo, no longer the dark rich dye. So these jeans probably have been washed contrary to what the seller told me? Will I still be able to wear in the jeans with my own "imprints"? Should I just find a brand new pair of RRDS?
    How familiar are you with RRDS? Have you seen a pair in a store so that you have some basis to compare what you have now? My SSDS wasn't very stiff to begin with but it still faded. Softer jeans tend to be slightly more of a challenge to break in and fade since they tend to not set and hold creases that well. Still, as long as you wear them ALL JEANS WILL FADE.

13. DSSK

DSSK New Member

This is my first time visiting and posting this forum. I have a question about jeans. I have a few pairs of random brand jeans but I like express x2 m42 bootcut the best.

I know the jeans most people talk about on here are expensive and designer and now that I can afford a little bit more on the jeans, I have a few questions.

How do I find out what will fit me? How do I know if I order a pair of jeans online, they'll fit comfortably. I am a total n00b at this.....thanks for all help in advance.

14. Johnny Amiga

Johnny Amiga Senior Member

If I want something that'd be about as slim as sized down 2 APC NS's, should I go with Skulls "Traditional Slim Straight" cut (5507) or the "Super Slim" cut (5510)?

A friend of mine is currently in Japan and I'm asking him to get me a pair of Skull 6x6's, but I dunno how slim the different cuts actually fit.

*crosses his fingers that the Yen starts going down soonish*

15. james nicolas

james nicolas Senior Member

If I want something that'd be about as slim as sized down 2 APC NS's, should I go with Skulls "Traditional Slim Straight" cut (5507) or the "Super Slim" cut (5510)?

A friend of mine is currently in Japan and I'm asking him to get me a pair of Skull 6x6's, but I dunno how slim the different cuts actually fit.

*crosses his fingers that the Yen starts going down soonish*

assuming you have a pair of sized down two apc ns's,
    just measure them and compare them to self edge's size charts for the 5510 and 5507
    5510 http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=204
    5507http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=203