• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you go to the doctor for regular checkups?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just finished lecturing both of my parents that they're way overdue for a routine checkup (plus they're now at an age where it's colonoscopy time!!) and I was just wondering how many of you go to the doctor routinely i.e. besides when you're actually sick.

I've actually recently been thinking about this for myself as well. I came to the realization that while I still think of myself as quite a young man at 28 years old that the reality is that I'm not a teenager any more and should also get some routine bloodwork done. Despite studying this crap for the last 3 years, it's never really occurred to me that I need to actually put it into practice for myself. I guess I still have that "I'm invincible" mentality because I hardly ever get sick and feel quite well yet I could possibly be walking around right now with ****** cholesterol, pre-hypertension and high blood sugar.

PS Thought about adding a poll. Don't really think it's necessary.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm 46 and haven't had a regular checkup since college. Probably should. Although I recently read that the theory on this is changing. Some recent studies (generic enough for ya?) have suggested that for most folks, getting regular medical advice when you go to the doctor for other ailments is as effective in detecting and preventing illness as scheduling annual checkups.

Myself, I've had various procedures done when I've been to the doc for specific complaints that give me indication that things are in pretty good shape.

For example, my blood pressure, blood sugar, etc. are fine. I've had skin cancer screenings and have no real chronic issues...so...

Still, I should probably go.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Why would they need a colonoscopy? Wouldn't an FOBT be enough?

Cause it doesn't usually pick up polyps and also, in my limited experience, I haven't seen it done correctly. 2-3 stool samples collected from home are needed and usually the doctor only does a digital rectal exam yielding only 1.

Sensitivity and specificity are also low for a fecal occult blood test. Plus, you still need a flexible sigmoidoscopy periodically. You are correct that it's alternative screening method however, I'm recommending that my parents undergo a colonoscopy. Their insurance covers it so why not.

For low-risk individuals, you're good for 10 years with a colonoscopy.

rxcats

Reaction score
I have a "minor check-up" every 2-3 years. He checks my BP and does a little P&A. I have blood work done every year (or so) since I take Lipitor.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Hmm. I thought everyone eventually got polyps.

I don't know if everyone gets them although they certainly are common but there are polyps and then there are polyps. Some types are precancerous lesions.

but routine colonsocopies just for polyps?
It's not just for polyps. It will pick up cancer as well. From my studies, it's the better test (although there is also the option of annual fecal occult blood tests). It does have its shortcomings in that it may not always visualize the entire colon but it has less shortcomings than a gFOBT.

As their first screening, I'd rather they get the better (in my opinion) test.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
once a year GP, once a year (since 40) urologist.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Annually, best to catch things as early as possible.
2 of my college roomates are dead. One at 20 from a bad heart the other at 27 from cancer. You can never been too preventive or precautionary. It's a bit of a myth that somehow if you're young you shouldn't do this or that, life has taught me otherwise.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No. Haven't seen a doctor since I saw a cardiologist before my first marathon. In-laws are on me about going, but they have this fear-based mentality that I just don't subscribe to. Once kids are in the house I may think otherwise, though.

Dentist - every 6 months religiously.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads