• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you go to the doctor for regular checkups?

JammieDodger

Reaction score
I've never even been for a check-up, let alone a regular one. And we get "free" health care here.

I'm 21, last time I went to see a doctor was twice about two and a half years ago. Before then I hadn't been for about six years. I had an ingrown toenail for about five years and kept trying to fix it myself with a sharp penknife (which I'd managed on my other foot), eventually I gave up and saw my GP.

It's not that I dislike seeing a doctor, but if there is something terribly wrong I really don't mind. Plus I know my biggest problem right now is my level of fitness and surplus fat, that's something I need to fix myself.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that some in this thread visit a dentist regularly but never go to a doctor.

@JammieDodger:

That's kind of my point. I also feel fine. I'm 7 years older than you are but I have the same mentality (which I've had for all of my life) that I'm perfectly healthy. I don't get sick often except for a very occasional cold. I don't even have any seasonal allergies which plague so many people. However, the fact is that sometimes there's something asymptomatic going on below the surface. Many people don't even know they have high blood pressure or very poor cholesterol until they go to the doctor for some other reason and need to get it checked. For example, my mother was having a simple cyst removed from the back of her hand. It's an office procedure done with just local anesthetic but the doctor ordered blood work beforehand. Otherwise, she wouldn't even have gone to the doc to get it done since she doesn't go for regular checkups unless she's sick.

One of the ways to diagnose diabetes mellitus II, for example, is fasting (you don't eat for at least 8 hours) blood sugar of 126 or greater on two occasions. However, once you're between 100-125 you are at risk for developing it and if you know this you can take steps to try and prevent it.

[edit]

I just wanted to add that the last time I went to the doctor for anything was 3 years ago before starting school only because I needed to get a physical and vaccinations. Otherwise I wouldn't have gone because I wasn't sick. I am just as guilty of this as anyone else.

[/edit]

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started getting an annual physical when I was 45 (I'm nearing 48 now). I want my GP to understand my body when it's functioning well, so that I have an extra chance at early detection when something goes wrong.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Every year, doctor runs about 4 pages worth of bloodwork (everything from lipids to hormones to iron and PSA), and the usual physical stuff.

Dentist every 6 months. Dermatologist once a year for him to look over my skin.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
they have this fear-based mentality that I just don't subscribe to.

Originally Posted by Jumbie
I have the same mentality (which I've had for all of my life) that I'm perfectly healthy.

I don't know, guys- when you hit your 40's you should go to a doctor and find out about colonoscopies and when to get one. Colon cancer is one of the more treatable cancers but the treatment is a hell of a lousy way to lose weight. (Tony Snow just died, I note.) Finding cancers early is by far the best, and ignoring the issue just isn't going to help you or your family.

Once kids are in the house I may think otherwise, though.
Exactly. Having kids clears the mind. About this, anyway.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
I don't know, guys- when you hit your 40's.

If you read my original post, you'll see that I'm thinking that I've been kind of negligent in ignoring getting checked up.

Seven

Reaction score
I find myself at the doctor's every year to get some sort shot, for all the traveling that I do. While I'm there, they do a check up.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you read my original post, you'll see that I'm thinking that I've been kind of negligent in ignoring getting checked up.
Yes. After all, you started the thread, which is a good one. Just- in your 40's it is probably time to learn what sodium phosphate tastes like.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
Just- in your 40's it is probably time to learn what sodium phosphate tastes like.

Technically, unless you have higher risk factors for colon cancer, screening isn't recommended until 50.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads