• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Carry (Picture Edition)

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ I had the same Gerber and got rid of it, the locking mechanism on those is mediocre at best and downright dangerous at worst.

I'm thinking I might pick up a Spyderco or something similar (short blade) for work. I usually carry a multi-tool but 90% of the time I only need a blade and trying to get the blade out of a multi-tool is a pain.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
jet would it make you feel better if someone made a baller edc threak?

Nah point is people like globetwatter are ******** up this thread with their moronic views that have nothing to do with this thread. I'm going to have a mod clean up this thread if there's anymore garbage posted.

MaxK

Reaction score
JohnH, I'm definitely not sold on the Gerber. I have much nicer knives but can't carry them due to the laws. I've been having trouble finding something that fits the bill. As soon as you get into nicer options it seems you start to get the thumb studs and "fast action".

Anyone have suggestions?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Nah point is people like globetwatter are ******** up this thread with their moronic views that have nothing to do with this thread. I'm going to have a mod clean up this thread if there's anymore garbage posted.

good luck with that

ramp

Reaction score
JzgnR.jpg
[/IMG] Nothing too exciting, but this is all I need. Keytool is just used for opening bottles.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I'm going to have a mod clean up this thread if there's anymore garbage posted.

"Guys, I'm a really big deal on the internet. No seriously, I'm a big deal. The mods know me"

laugh.gif

Go back to harassing 'noobs' in WAYWT.

EDIT: Actually, *******. I'm going to start reporting you whenever you thread-****.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MaxK
JohnH, I'm definitely not sold on the Gerber. I have much nicer knives but can't carry them due to the laws. I've been having trouble finding something that fits the bill. As soon as you get into nicer options it seems you start to get the thumb studs and "fast action". Anyone have suggestions?
How does your area define "fast action"? If you're not allowed to have spring loaded locking blades I'd probably suggest a fixed blade knife (like a 'boot knife'). They usually have a plastic sheath that can be clipped to the belt (worn inside or outside pants) or in a pocket etc. The blade will obviously have to be pretty short (i.e. not beyond 3 inches) to avoid being hard to carry. I hate that gerber (and any non-fixed blade without a proper locking mechanism) because I've almost taken my fingers off a few times when the 'lock' on that POS gave out.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

hBlIj.jpg

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MaxK
JohnH, I'm definitely not sold on the Gerber. I have much nicer knives but can't carry them due to the laws. I've been having trouble finding something that fits the bill. As soon as you get into nicer options it seems you start to get the thumb studs and "fast action".

Anyone have suggestions?

Not sure why the thumb studs are a problem, though I've never been able to operate them very well. If you want a high-quality folder without a tactical look (drawing less 'Why do you carry that?' comments) then in the lower price range you might consider a doctor's knife (Frost makes a good one) or, on the more expensive end, a Laguiole.

Here's mine:
11snmkz.jpg

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Questions from the EDC blog that have been answered:

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One brand I forgot about but makes excellent, long lasting knives is Kershaw. I believe they make some 'non-tactical' models as well. Also, try Grohmann if you're looking for something a little less EDC and more for general utility (hunting, camping, outdoorsy stuff etc). http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r3s.html

funkdoobi

Reaction score
this is from a few days ago, but figured i'd try move the thread along from people bitching like whiney fucktards.

edc040211.jpg

Balicomb, coin purse, card holder, money clip, t-mobile htc desire z w/ otter box case, spyderco dragonfly v2, breitling superocean steelfish, lens cap from my sony nex-5, quark mini AA, chapstick, cologne, sennheiser ie8

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some lighthearted(lol) EDC-ness Light beezy:
Last night I arrived home from work to discover my building’s power was out. I decided to make lemons into lemonade and try out photos with my flashlight. I then sat in bed with my flashlight and read a book while the rain fell outside my window. It was pleasant.​

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I love how you have me on ignore yet read all my posts johnny
lol8[1].gif
WhoknewI, sup who's mad? I defecate on fools like that all day erryday.

MaxK

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've avoided fixed blades because those are generally looked down upon by NYC law enforcement from what I hear, no matter what the length. I also wear suits a lot and it would feel odd to tuck a knife in my waistband! I'm more a pocket carry guy. Same with thumb studs. I've always been able to open any thumb stud knife very fast, and assumed any interested office would be able to do the same. I actually hadn't looked at spyderco in a long time, and this thread got my off my butt. I just ordered an Ambitious, which seems to fit the bill: 2.25" blade, solid locking mechanism, usual spyderco "hole" opening that in my experience is less "tactical" looking/feeling, and a nice non-scary blade shape.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
probotanico