• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Carry (Picture Edition)

Boognish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
I dont like getting my hands dirty.

tumblr_lhgcqf2J9m1qf5nv8.gif

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never carry a gun around with me. Seems too bulky.

MajorWinter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gingahbman

On a side note, I'm surprised at how many of you walk around with knives. I have no problem with it, but have any of you actual had to use it before? I am making the assumption that the main purpose of these knives are self defense.

I carry a knife every single day, I use it more than I use my phone and would never consider using it for self defence.

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Except people don't make ****** excuses about how they buy beautiful $3500 handguns and carry them around for "self-defense." This is such a dumbass comparison. If you want to buy a beautiful gun for target shooting or display, cool. But self-defence? What a load of horseshit.

What a moronic comment. People appreciate the finer things in life, be it a nice suit, leather jacket, watch or even a nice firearm.

I own many firearms, I carry one daily at work (Browning or a Sig). And I am no kind of "red neck".

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
How about you can flame anyone you want as long as you include an actual non-trolling picture of your EDC items with it? Work with me.

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
^ Orange Spyderco is awesome. I keep considering getting something like that but it would look silly with the rest of my carry.

EDIT: What's the knife at the bottom of the work pic? Looks like a nice non-threatening blade to carry around.

MajorWinter

Reaction score
The orange Spyderco is the FRN UKPK rescue, I really like it. I often use it for normal tasks and it holds up really well for a serrated blade. The bottom knife is a custom friction folder which is made from an old file. Indeed it is nice and non threatening, that is why I asked for the wharnie blade shap. Living in the UK it quite a non permissive environment and the little friction folder doesn't really draw much attention.
241qzuo.jpg
2hoclk4.jpg

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
uh, what's the downside to conscription? our country would probably function better if we took 18 year olds out of the general population for a year.

Late on this, but ask Korean men their opinion of having to serve 21 months of their lives serving in the military. That's two years not attending college or earning money. There is no getting even an undergraduate degree before you turn 24. Voluntary conscription sounds great, but in practice has serious and long-lasting downsides.

I carry keys, cell phone, and wallet. I was thinking carrying a gun in my back pocket sounds terribly uncomfortable, and on top of that I'd be scared that I'd pop the safety and shoot myself **********. Yes, I know if I had even a minute of training this wouldn't happen, but knowing myself even after hours of training I would still shoot ******* off.

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe E Taleo
Late on this, but...
'Sorry, late on the entirely irrelevant conversation. Here's a bit more.' Seriously, you're not going to solve any philosophical problems in this thread so pics or GTFO.

Boognish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MajorWinter
The orange Spyderco is the FRN UKPK rescue, I really like it. I often use it for normal tasks and it holds up really well for a serrated blade.

The bottom knife is a custom friction folder which is made from an old file. Indeed it is nice and non threatening, that is why I asked for the wharnie blade shap. Living in the UK it quite a non permissive environment and the little friction folder doesn't really draw much attention.

241qzuo.jpg

2hoclk4.jpg

Cool knife. Very unique. What kind of micarta did you use for the scales?

edit- It looks like micarta, but it could be the grainy photo?

nineohtoo

Reaction score
5598799090_4ce917e625_z.jpg
Copied from my flickr:
Over the years I realized I really don't need much on me. Hell, I don't need much in general. But in terms of EDC, there was only a few things I've ever really needed, and anything else wasn't hard to find when I did. I think I've got this down to as small and useful as I can make it. -Oakley Plank eyeglasses with transition lenses. I replace these with a pair of Oakley Straight Jackets in matte black with RX transitions if I'm going to be active or if I'm going to work. -Keys on an S-Biner. i have the hated Swiss-Tech Utili-Key, a 16GB LaCie iamaKey, along with my room and house keys. -Titanium money clip with only the essentials(ID, BART ticket, debit card, credit card, and some cash). -Lum-Tech Combat B3 with a modified TAD Gear five ring divers strap(I cut off the tail with the other two rings). -Hair tie. -iPhone 4. I throw a black bumper on this when I'm doing something physical or when I'm at work. So a couple things. If you look through my stream for EDC stuff, you'll see I used to carry a **** ton of stuff at one point. Here's what i learned from living in an urban environment where I mostly walk and take public transit through all sorts of neighborhoods: -While a knife can make a great pry tool as well as a screw driver, the only times I really needed a knife was to cut open packaging or loose thread. The blade on the Utili-Key does that just fine. I also think being aware of your surroundings, being strong/fit and having basic self defense skills are more useful than a folder in most instances. -When do you really need to burn or light something in the city if you don't smoke? I no longer carry a zippo or a split pea lighter. -I'll admit that at least a basic light is a must. I used to carry small Fenix lights, and even larger Surefire lights. The LEDs on most of our phones is plenty for finding something you dropped, lighting a small path, or even picking combo locks. I know people factor in lights into self defense, but again it's like the knife. There are other factors that will be more useful than blinding someone with 7865478 lumens. -I can see why people may want a small notepad and pen. I really do. However I feel like Simple Note works just fine for me, and if I ever need to sign something or fill up a document, there's a writing tool available. Of course YMMV. I understand the concept of preparedness. I can see why people need more than this and I can even justify the costs of some of it. I just feel a lot of people who are into EDC are more caught up in showing off their toys than actually using them. I think it's a lot like people with high end cameras and lenses that don't know how to use them well or people with overpowered computers who just talk **** on message boards and blogs all day. Don't get me wrong, it's not always like this, but I seriously think a lot of this is just showing off your status and knowledge of the unimportant, plain and simple. But then again, the same can be said about many other hobbies/interests. I just find it humorous that some well off suburban kids might feel the need to be "prepared" for anything and go home and share this with their online buddies. Plus, wouldn't preparedness involve you not letting people know what you have up your sleeve?

esswhykay

Reaction score
Explain your rationale for wearing a watch when you have a phone. Also, transition lenses.

nineohtoo

Reaction score
^I wear a watch because it's a show of status and an appreciation for finer things. Just like how some here are with particular clothes. I wear transitions because I'm in the sun a lot and find it easier than carrying around some sunglasses.

I don't know if you're taking offense to my last post, but I hope you read the part where I said:

I understand the concept of preparedness. I can see why people need more than this and I can even justify the costs of some of it.
I'm not against the fascination of EDC. I just question how people try to justify their need to have things for the sake of being ready for anything.

Take this for instance. I worked in eastern Montana last year, and got to meet some really nice people. The communities were so tight knit that people would do things like leave their car running in grocery lots and not worry about someone taking off with their car. Yet several of these families looked like they had enough firearms and ammo to out do their local PD. Aside from hunting, the big reason most had these was for self defense. Self defense from what exactly? They live amongst some of the nicest people in the country whom they greatly trust. Some of these guys were former LEOs and soldiers, so I get the nostalgia and the hobby part of it. You're into guns. That's cool. I'm into comics. Probably not as cool. But passing off your Zombie Invasion kit as protection from your neighbors who look after your kids when you're out with the Mrs. and help you with your car on the weekends is a joke.

So if you're into fine knives, awesome. I think Striders are bad ass too. If you appreciate the tech in modern flash lights, especially what's coming from overseas, sweet. I do too. Just don't fool yourself into thinking your preparing yourself for the worst at your cushy IT job or the short drive to the local Wal-Mart. Those who actually make use of their tools and don't just log into USN and EDC forums to upload new pics won't take offense because this doesn't apply to them.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by esswhykay
Explain your rationale for wearing a watch when you have a phone. Also, transition lenses.

This some ******* logic right here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads