• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
How much material is needed to make an ascot or cravat? Does anyone know or own one and can check? Thank you.

The standard size of an ascot is 6" x 48", and is often consisted of 2 pieces sewed together face to face. So given an inch for sewing -> 7" x 49". At the bottom line, you need two pieces of 7" x 49".

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got a white linen shirt with faint blue stripes. If I soaked it in a bowl of wine, could I end up with a pink and blue, RLPL-ish colored linen shirt, or just a ruined one?

(This always seems to work on TV
laugh.gif
).

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two questions on Allen Edmonds shoes before I pull the trigger here:

1. AE mcallisters in walnut for 240. Is this a good deal or can I get them cheaper new?

2. This will be my second pair of shoes for my second suit. I already own a charcoal suit and black park aves. I am buyimg a navy suit soon and need a brown/tan pair. really like the walnut mcallisters but also have the option of brown strands. Can I make the walnut mcallisters work or are the brown strands safer?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A slightly stupid q, but here goes ... If you had to guess the collar height and length of the collar (at point) what would it be ?
imn1oO.jpg

DonOllie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt
2. This will be my second pair of shoes for my second suit. I already own a charcoal suit and black park aves. I am buyimg a navy suit soon and need a brown/tan pair. really like the walnut mcallisters but also have the option of brown strands. Can I make the walnut mcallisters work or are the brown strands safer?

Walnut will look great with the navy suit, but for my taste the McAllisters have just too much broguing to be worn with a suit. I would go for walnut Strands, or even a cleaner model like FA or PA.

beatific

Reaction score
First time poster, but long time lurker here.

I have one question regarding the shirt Brooks Brothers sell.

What exactly is the difference between their Dress Shirts and Sport Shirts?

They seem to have the same cutting

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agriff
Ok, so I'm generally not someone who enjoys to spend a ton of time or money on fashion, but I do love to spruce up my wardrobe with some H&M every once in a while. Yesterday I went shopping and two of the things I picked up were a plaid patterned shirt- a mix of light greens, white, and red; and a pair of watermelon pants. Not thinking too heavily and eager to throw on some color, I combined the two. Sure it's a loud statement, but the pants matched perfect with the colors on the shirt, even if the pants did reinforce the watermelon vibe that the shirt already going for it.

My girlfriend saw the outfit later in the day and her reaction was to ask me if I had gone outside yet. According to her, waaay too much going on, and the garish colors make me look like a golfer. Of course I stubbornly defended myself, but inside I felt ashamed and could easily see her point.

Was this a huge fashion mishap as I'm starting to think it was, or do I have allies here on SF that can give me permission to let my quasi-obnoxious hipster flag fly??

I'm in the GF's camp but hey it's only my opinion.

I'd do the shirt by itself with other separates in subdued colors - say under a navy V neck sweater and with a pair of khakis.

I'd approve of the combination only if you're auditioning for a Bollywood part.
lol8[1].gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt
Two questions on Allen Edmonds shoes before I pull the trigger here:

1. AE mcallisters in walnut for 240. Is this a good deal or can I get them cheaper new?

The Mcallister and the Strands are equally acceptable styles. If the Strand is dark brown, I would go with it because dark brown is more versatile than walnut for the darker suit colors that you have.

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
i think i've seen it before, and i can't seem to find it despite multiple forum searches. is there a graphic or image with instructions on how to tie multiple different tie knots? grassy-ass

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohdannyboy
i think i've seen it before, and i can't seem to find it despite multiple forum searches. is there a graphic or image with instructions on how to tie multiple different tie knots? grassy-ass

tie%20a%20tie.gif

Thrifter

Reaction score
Can anyone help me find a megathread that describes different suit/SC brands and models and their general cuts or aesthetic (RLBL - very slim, Kiton - more full cut, etc) ?

I guess I'm not using the right search terms.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix