Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

The Savation Army, Goodwill or the card table I'll set up on my lawn come June. Few things are as ubiquitous at thrifts as navy blazers with gold buttons.

I'm always on the prowl for vintage goods. However my size is very hard to come by (36) so I end up buying things new much of the time.

2. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

O'Connells is supposed to be pretty good, retails for $350.00. I do not own this model, but the clothing I do have from them is quality stuff.

http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/blazers.php

The Anderson-Little model at $150 is worth it at that price point, but it is a wool blend, so if you can afford at least the Oconnells go with that.

http://www.andersonlittle.com/

Thanks for the recommendations. I've got a few options now. [​IMG]

3. either/or

either/or Senior member

ups, missed this (things get lost easy in this thread): single cuffs & protrusion of sleeves:

1. Your shirt sleeves are SUPPOSED to protrude [...]

2. YES, although not very popular. [..]

@1, I ment more than they're supposed to [​IMG]
    @2, figured it out, been doing a lot of reading lately, thanks for replying though [​IMG]

4. rahjiggah

rahjiggah Member

Hi all... New to this forum... just got a job that demands I wear suits... I got a BB but am slowly building up a collection of suits better than the OTR suits I have... im gleaning alot of info from this site its amazing... any way I can "easily" learn to tie a windsor? Ive gone to some sites but my eyes just glaze over after the 3rd or so step [​IMG] edit: DOH! just went back a page and saw a picture guide...Ill try that first. nice meeting yall anyways... -rah

5. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Which is worse on a blazer: the length on the bottom is (just a bit) too short, or the neck is (just a bit) too wide?

(Buying an OTR not-quite-right blazer). Thanks for your input!

6. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Hi all...

New to this forum... just got a job that demands I wear suits... I got a BB but am slowly building up a collection of suits better than the OTR suits I have... im gleaning alot of info from this site its amazing... any way I can "easily" learn to tie a windsor? Ive gone to some sites but my eyes just glaze over after the 3rd or so step [​IMG]

edit: DOH! just went back a page and saw a picture guide...Ill try that first. nice meeting yall anyways...

-rah

FYI, a 4-in-hand knot is easy to tie and looks very nice... try here: http://www.tie-a-tie.net/fourinhand.html

7. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

[​IMG]

Can a tailor make this fit correctly or is it beyond hope?

It looks too big in the shoulders to me, so no. What is your concern with the fit?

8. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

Anyone know if this Mont Blanc wallet also has room for Credit cards, the seller has written

"Interior Organization: 2 hidden pockets + 1 bank note section, rings for 6 keys
    Dimensions: 7 x 10.5 cm"

But he has disabled receiving messages, and Mont Blanc has not replied to my Email yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Which is worse on a blazer: the length on the bottom is (just a bit) too short, or the neck is (just a bit) too wide?

(Buying an OTR not-quite-right blazer). Thanks for your input!

In my experience neither can be fixed, so it depends on your comfort level. I would rather have it a bit too short as long as the sleeves fit. Keep looking as different jackets will be cut differently and you could find the right fit elsewhere.

10. officeboy

officeboy Senior member

[​IMG]

Can a tailor make this fit correctly or is it beyond hope?

It just looks big everywhere...

11. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

It looks too big in the shoulders to me, so no. What is your concern with the fit?

That was the concern.

12. rahjiggah

rahjiggah Member

FYI, a 4-in-hand knot is easy to tie and looks very nice... try here: http://www.tie-a-tie.net/fourinhand.html

Awesome... thx man... that one I can do...

13. svd

svd Senior member

I asked before and no one bothered to give an answer (as perhaps everyone wants to keep their secrets...) but where, other than goodwill, are places to find some nice donated used items in NYC?

I just started looking around recently, and my early experience hasn't brought me anything. I know some of the shops around here are savvier than most - the good stuff isn't making it out to the floor, or it is priced out of bargain territory. Other shops, I don't know, get worked over quickly, maybe? I would think some of the higher end "vintage" shops are scouring the charity shops for anything good.

Maybe it is a numbers game and you have to hit the shops regularly, I don't have time for that.

I haven't come across much I'd buy even in a different size. Maybe two items total. I see a lot of nice names but the style is clearly dated and 10-20 years old. Or a great bespoke suit that is equally old but done so well that the style holds up - and it's been worn to death, and still carries a $90 price tag.

City Opera carries some nice clothes, but they price them so that Ebay looks attractive. I suppose the occasional piece might slip through there.

14. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

I picked this sports coat up for $50 (from $500) and it looks good but I noticed it has a funny wrinkle at the shoulder. Any idea what would cause this and is it something a tailor could fix (or press out?) I'll be going to get the roll taken out anyway. Also hows the fit? My first time to size down to a 38R (i'm a 39 chest and usually get a 40R)

yes this can be taken care of by a tailor. the back must be shortened at the top.
    avoid the nice lady at the cleaners.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just bought barker harrisson in cedar calf and i wonder what kind of leather products i should use?
    I will use them all year except for the summer, so there will be salt, snow and rain involved.

Lexol leather condition, wax polish (lincoln, or angelus). Try your very best not to get salt on them. Salt kills leather. If you get it on them, use 50% water 50% vinegar solution and rub the hell out of it. Let it dry then condition the hell out of them and polish.