Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

So I bought my first pair of pleated trousers. They are truly wonderful. They fit me pretty near perfect all though from the side it makes my legs look twice there size(I have chicken legs) and its pretty sad looking. Would it be fairly easy for a tailor to taper them to look better factoring in the pleats?

2. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

So I bought my first pair of pleated trousers. They are truly wonderful. They fit me pretty near perfect although from the side it makes my legs look twice their size (I have chicken legs) and it's pretty sad looking. Would it be fairly easy for a tailor to taper them to look better factoring in the pleats?

It depends on the particular tailor and trousers. However, before you look into it, consider that pleated trousers are not supposed to have a slim fit like flat-front slacks; that you may need to get used to how your first pair looks and feels; and that doubling the apparent size of "chicken legs" (with which I am also "blessed") is not necessarily a bad thing.

If you have a tailor you know and trust, you might ask him if he thinks your new trousers fit as they should. You could also post pics here, so that we might opine as to whether they're truly problematic or merely foreign to you.

3. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

It might be that I am used to Dior Homme jeans with a 17.5cm hem but its just bugging me. Here is the best I could do as I dont have a large mirror or camera. [​IMG] V This is what bothers me V [​IMG]

4. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

you're used to wearing jeans.

5. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

It might be that I am used to Dior Homme jeans with a 17.5cm hem but it's just bugging me.

I'd say you're right that you're used to skinny jeans. As pleated trousers go, that's a pretty slim fit. If you can't make the adjustment after a while of wearing them, then I think you'll be happier if you stick with flat-front pants in the future.

6. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

I asked before and no one bothered to give an answer (as perhaps everyone wants to keep their secrets...) but where, other than goodwill, are places to find some nice donated used items in NYC?

7. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    Two questions: 1) Is this pattern considered glen plaid? 2) What on earth would go with these black and cream trousers? [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. mrtef3

mrtef3 Active Member

you're married in college? 99 problems...
    Fo' shizzle.

9. cromulated

cromulated Senior member

I asked before and no one bothered to give an answer (as perhaps everyone wants to keep their secrets...) but where, other than goodwill, are places to find some nice donated used items in NYC?

try tokio 7

10. robert in LA

robert in LA Well-Known Member

Two questions:

1) Is this pattern considered glen plaid?
    2) What on earth would go with these black and cream trousers?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1) I think of that as a houndstooth check.

2) Overalls?

11. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    ^ ??? They are PRL trousers. I am specifically wondering what kind of top to wear with them.

12. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

1) I think of that as a houndstooth check.

2) Overalls?

I would say more like a POW.

Don't be a dick, he is asking for real advice.

I would try a blue or grey SC and see how it works.

Mike

13. robert in LA

^ ??? They are PRL trousers. I am specifically wondering what kind of top to wear with them.
    The pattern is a very busy, active one, and it is a strong pattern that embeds itself as an afterimage in the eye. Wearing such an active pattern below the waist is always a bit problematic in that it draws the viewers eye down, which is generally not where you want people to look. Still, if you were wearing these in an out-door indoor-reception in cool weather, perhaps with a pair of calfskin chukka boots, and a charcoal grey sweater knitted with a tight stitch to echo the weave of the pants, you would do all right. When you are dressing for out of doors, people view you from further away, and so busier patterns seem more muted. Also they tend to see the whole figure at once, so directing the eye up or down is less important. If you are going to wear them indoors. You might do all right with a bright white OBD shirt, no tie, cuffs turned up once or twice, and a pair of loafers. The bright white shirt provides a neutral back ground for the after-image which the pattern leaves on the viewers eye. And the brilliance of the white will lift the viewers gaze without fighting with the pattern. The informality of the turned up cuffs, provides some relief to the earnestness of this busy black and white check. You may well find that these pants, however nicely made, do not get a lot of use . . . sometimes you can do something interesting with a pattern like this, but basically, this really is the kind of garment which tends to look better on the rack of a clothiers shelves than it does on the body of any living person. Oh. Sorry for suggesting over-alls. Have i redeemed myself . . .

14. robert in LA

I would say more like a POW. Don't be a dick, he is asking for real advice. I would try a blue or grey SC and see how it works. Mike
    What's a POW? Oh, Prince of Wales . . . I wonder when that came into common use . . . ?

15. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I have not been on an airplane in a while. I am going to Paris next month. Will my collar stays and tie clip be confiscaded on boarding?

No. They let my collar stays go.