• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Job Interview: Rolex, Patek or cell phone?

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEARTLESS-531
Prime Bullshit. Just classic SF.

+1. I know how to dress. I know a lot about watches. I own a Patek (though it's a steel Aquanaut on rubber). My daily wear watch, whether in a suit or jeans, is a Rolex Explorer II. Why? Because I really like the watch, two timezones are useful and it's one of the most worry-free, durable pieces out there.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEARTLESS-531
Prime Bullshit. Just classic SF.

How do you figure? What is this claim based on? That is my opinion that I did not gather from the SF. I don't know what you are calling BS on?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
How would you judge someone who showed up to an interview with a nice suit and sneakers? A sport watch is just that--a sport watch, much like sneakers are sports shoes. It is a nice, rugged watch for diving, sailing, racing or general wear. It is NOT a dress watch and to wear it in a formal setting shows that the person wearing it does not know the difference.
Let me introduce you to the former President William Jefferson Clinton and Henry Merritt Paulson, the current Treasury Secretary and the former Chairman and CEO of Goldman Sachs. A watch is just a watch -- heaven forbid we judge someone on the basis of their skill and personality.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Let me introduce you to the former President William Jefferson Clinton and Henry Merritt Paulson, the current Treasury Secretary and the former Chairman and CEO of Goldman Sachs.

A watch is just a watch -- heaven forbid we judge someone on the basis of their skill and personality.

Aren't they digital Timex guys? Well, since entering the lecture circuit Clinton seems to have upgraded, but I remember the old photos well.

Some people do not, and will not ever, care.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Aren't they digital Timex guys? Well, since entering the lecture circuit Clinton seems to have upgraded, but I remember the old photos well.

Some people do not, and will not ever, care.

This is true for most people. Most people also say "shoes are just shoes" or "a suit is just a suit". However, this forum is for people who know the difference and care enough to know.

No everyone cares nor should they. The OP is one who cares enough to own a Patek and to post this question on the forum. I'm guessing that he is one of those that care so my response is appropriate to someone who cares.

For those who say it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter to them. However, it matters to the OP and probably to the people that he is looking to work for.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
This is true for most people. Most people also say "shoes are just shoes" or "a suit is just a suit". However, this forum is for people who know the difference and care enough to know.

Yes, but even among those with sartorially-superior taste in clothes, not all consider the watch part of the outfit, which is the distinguishing factor. Take my grandfather for example: nothing but MTM Oxxford suits and A/C shirts in his closet, but always a digital Cassio.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Patek seems like it might be a little overboard. If someone showed up in my office with a $20,000+ watch, I'd wounder why he was looking for a job! You never know the background of those with whom you interview, so I wouldn't risk any possible negative impressions.

joegrec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter
I will be seeing some people Wednesday afternoon for a "maybe I could work for you full time" kind of meeting, which will be followed by dinner later in the evening. I don't necessarily need the job, but if they like me and I like them, and their number and my number overlap, then I probably will go to work for them. (Unfortunately, I suspect that their number will probably be much lower than mine.)

I have two watches. One is Rolex Datejust. It is similar to this one. The gold and silver watch and bracelet pretty much mark it as a Rolex, although not as a flashy one.

The second is a Patek, which some folks could dismiss as a relatively understated gold watch, but folks who pay attention to watches might see it as something more than the average timepiece. Because we will start talks in the afternoon and have dinner sometime later, I do expect that I will be glacing at the time occasionally during the day.

Any thoughts on which of these, if either would be best? I could go watchless and use my cellphone.

Bic

Why take a job that you don't need?

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
When I see a Rolex I think: "Here is some one who does not know much about watches but he thinks that his watch is really fancy. He is probably just as flashy as his watch without any real substance."

Despite the sort who tend to gravitate toward Rolex, they really do make a quality timepiece and are a real manufacture. Thus, they have quite a bit of substance, unlike some other "haute" brands that just use a modified ETA movement.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who hires professional-class employees...nothing is a bigger turn off than pretentiousness. If you even THINK that glancing at a gold Rolex or flaunting a PP could come off that way, then you're right. Just don't worry about the time, keep your cellphone on "silent" and don't be a d-bag...also, don't sweat the $$ part...wait till there's a formal offer on the table.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You haven't told us what cell phone you are going to use. There is a big difference between
nokia2100.jpg
and
10431324-goldvish-luxury-cell-phone.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads