• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
I need to get some cheap beater boots this fall, but I don't particularly want light brown. Obenauf's seems to darken them a bit, but I'm wondering if black polish would darken them further.

I don't know about Obenauf's but sno-seal darkens them quite a lot...more than I wanted it to for sure.

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
A few facts:

-These are leather workboots.
-Leather is not waterproof but can be made water resistant if treated with Sno-seal, mink oil, etc.

-These have flat soles.
-Most hikers want a lug sole for traction.

-These are nice looking boots.
-Blundstones are fugly.

A1+

Bob

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fungz0r
Anybody got a comparison between the Katahdins and Wolverine 1000 Mile boots? I've tried on the 1000 mile boots and they felt really good and fit fine for me, but are they as durable and reliable?

I have the Katahdins for about a year and the 1000 Mile boots for 2 weeks. Both are comfortable, the KD's were available in the E width and that suits me better than the 1000 mile boot in D width, but with some shoe trees and padding, they fit fine. I wore the 1000 in NYC for a few miles of walking the other day and were very comfortable...as would have been the KD's. But understand, both these boots have plainer soles and no extra padding and as such are not going to be as "cushy" as Rockports or some such other shoe so designed for walking.
But they are both comfortable and give lots of support in the ankle/arch area. What they both have is a certain old fashioned look and "charm" and are USA made of quality materials.
The KD's are more of a truer workboot than the 1000 mile boot, the 1000 boot a bit dressier.

Both recommended.

Bob

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
Personally, I think the 2 boots serve different purposes. I use the LL Bean boot for every possible work activity from the occasional boiler room visits to the garden to going out to bars. It's versatile enough for me. I wouldn't even think about putting the Addison through all that ****, it's just way to pretty.

If you're talking purely wearing the boots for vanity purposes, yeah i suppose the addison is "better" in term of looks and leather quality.

Agree 100%.

Bob

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandamonium
+1 They already come oiled, just wait a few days or weeks until you can order some Obenauf's.

Unless you want to lose that "old brown" patina on the KD's do not use Obenaufs. I used it and my boots are now a very muddy black. Hopefully, in time it will wear off. Unless you like that muddy, black look, stear clear. Check out my thread on it.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=197596

Bob

Altulus

Reaction score
Got my boots in yesterday, went fast to get them from Usa to Sweden. Felt great, if not the leather is a bit stiff. But I just see that as a thing to like as I will break in these shoes, and by the look of them keep them for some time to come.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
I need to get some cheap beater boots this fall, but I don't particularly want light brown. Obenauf's seems to darken them a bit, but I'm wondering if black polish would darken them further.

Found a MC thread about this. Someone should try it, so I don't have to.
smile.gif

There was a photo floating around here awhile ago of a pair of old pumpkin-colored Alden Indys that had been polished with a combination of black, brown and navy polish. The result was fantastic.

I've used black polish on medium brown shoes before. It didn't cover the shoes uniformly, but looked like streaks with some darker patches near the stitching. It isn't for everyone, but I thought it developed a great patina.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just got my boots in and I'm going to have to send them back. They're about 1 1/2 sizes too big and scuffed to ****. I mean scuffed everywhere. I have to imagine it was a return.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Just got my boots in and I'm going to have to send them back. They're about 1 1/2 sizes too big and scuffed to ****. I mean scuffed everywhere. I have to imagine it was a return.

Srsly?

They look REALLY scuffed when they arrive...that's just how the leather is.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
Srsly? They look REALLY scuffed when they arrive...that's just how the leather is.
Yep. I'll find out if that's the norm when my new pairs arrive. Hopefully it won't be as bad.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
Does anybody know if the waterproof version is goodyear welted also?

I would guess it still is...but my normal version is perfectly waterproof after I sno-sealed it (including letting it seep into the welt)

dinogj

Reaction score
My katahdins have worn in really well after half a year of wear, I gave them a coat of mink oil when I got them and that was enough to waterproof them. After using mix of black/brown polish on them for half a year...they really have developed a beautiful patina. These are true workboots so they only get better looking the more you beat them up. I recommend them wholeheartedly. they run half a size big though =/

Edit: Be careful when you first get them. They make them in both full grain and half grain leather, you wont know until you get them what leather they are. If you get the half grain at first make sure to return them for the full grain version.

changed

Reaction score
Just popping in to say that I've gotten multiple compliments from girls saying, 'I like your boots; where did you get them?'

About time to break them out again too!

PS. I only wear them tucked

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members