1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. obeserabbit

obeserabbit Senior member

i read that the boots might take awhile to wear in, but after two all-day wears, my ankles were rubbed raw and bloody...anyone else experience this? i'm hesitant to continue wearing them only because of the pain in my ankles. aside from that, i love the way they look though...

2. Seel1138

Seel1138 Member

i read that the boots might take awhile to wear in, but after two all-day wears, my ankles were rubbed raw and bloody...anyone else experience this? i'm hesitant to continue wearing them only because of the pain in my ankles. aside from that, i love the way they look though...

Mine did the same thing, although not to the point where my ankles were bleeding. I wore them 5 hours a day for about a week and they stopped hurting. Any longer than that, there would have been blood. So take it slow, ease into it (keep another pair of shoes in your car so you can switch them out when it gets to be unbearable), and after a week they are wearable. After 2 weeks they feel amazing.

3. heylook

heylook New Member

new poster.
    this thread has been a huge help and these are the first decent boots purchased by me - basically ever, just ordered this morning will arrive at the end of the week i assume.

one thing I am unsure of still, is whether i should get obenauf's LP or just the oil? i do want to darken the boots a fair amount.

or should i get both? and earlier in this thread people were bringing up sno-seal like every other post but it's been basically forgotten about in the last 10 pages. is this stuff necessary, reccd?

someone want to just lay out the best thing to do once i get the boots?

thanks a bunch - look forward to contributing.

4. masterllama

masterllama Senior member

I'm trying to order the boots in a size 10.5 regular width D.

Unfortunately they're sold out and when I called to ask ll bean when they'd restock, they said if they do restock, then it'd be in a few months...

Does anyone know alternative places to order the boots?

5. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

hmm ok bobm not persuaded but thank you for taking the time to answering my questions.

i'll assert a $160 full retail price is not expensive for quality boots. we can agree to disagree on that.

i think they look better after LP. before LP the leather looks thirsty to me. i don't like how they look right out of the box or beat to hell with no oiling at all. oiled leather wants more oil. that's my sense.

yes the LP makes them darker. me i like that but really, i don't care much since for me they are king in a small army of beater boots.

6. Ahriman4891

Ahriman4891 Senior member

Has anybody ordered them in EE width, and does it affect the shape in such a way that they look kinda weird ?
    I would really like to know as well. I'm wearing 8.5 EEE AE lasts 5/8, so I'm guessing I need 8.5 Wide (EE) Katahdins? Whether they run TTS or 1/2 size large, this seems my safest bet...

7. bobm

bobm Senior member

hmm ok bobm not persuaded but thank you for taking the time to answering my questions.

i'll assert a $160 full retail price is not expensive for quality boots. we can agree to disagree on that.

i think they look better after LP. before LP the leather looks thirsty to me. i don't like how they look right out of the box or beat to hell with no oiling at all. oiled leather wants more oil. that's my sense.

yes the LP makes them darker. me i like that but really, i don't care much since for me they are king in a small army of beater boots.

Dewey,

You had asked about where it said OB is not suitable for leathers as in the leather for the Katahdins. The answer stated was directly from OB, not from me. But by suitable, I am assumming they mean that they will markedly change the look and feel of the leather. And it sure did, not to my liking. However, the OB does offer protection and for some/most, that's the only thing that matters. They are still a muddy brownish black, that I think looks awful. Yep, these are work boots and I used them as such, but could also look nice with a pair of decent jeans. Not no mo'. BUT, that is my opinion, others (like yourself) like the darker, oiled look. No universal right or wrong here; just a matter of taste.
    IMHO $160.00 is not terribly expensive for a good workboot, but at that price it ain't a Walmart through-away either. They happen to be, again, IMHO, a well made, mid to high quality boot at a fair to good price. I guess that's "value".

Bob

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Has anybody ordered them in EE width, and does it affect the shape in such a way that they look kinda weird ?
    I would really like to know as well. I'm wearing 8.5 EEE AE lasts 5/8, so I'm guessing I need 8.5 Wide (EE) Katahdins? Whether they run TTS or 1/2 size large, this seems my safest bet...
    I wear the EE and picked up my normal size. I originally sized up because I thought that the EE would be too narrow for my EEE feet. Ended up TTS. As for the width affecting the shape, I couldn't tell you because a) I've never seen a non-width model, and b)All my boots are wide so they all look the same to me.

9. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I've been looking for a winter boot for a couple weeks now...came upon this thread. Just ordered a pair, woohoo! [​IMG]

10. Ahriman4891

Ahriman4891 Senior member

I wear the EE and picked up my normal size. I originally sized up because I thought that the EE would be too narrow for my EEE feet. Ended up TTS. As for the width affecting the shape, I couldn't tell you because a) I've never seen a non-width model, and b)All my boots are wide so they all look the same to me.
    Thanks Rambo! I'm going to order them.

11. otc

otc Senior member

or should i get both? and earlier in this thread people were bringing up sno-seal like every other post but it's been basically forgotten about in the last 10 pages. is this stuff necessary, reccd?

sno-seal does about the same thing as the LP...

I plan to reapply sno-seal when I go home for thanksgiving as I seem to want once yearly applications and my parents have a tub of it.

12. G0079

G0079 Senior member

Mine just arrived, and I'm impressed with the quailty overall. No issues with split grain leather. Real shitkicker boots for sure.

13. jobg

jobg Member

Has anyone got some type of LL Bean discount coupon they be willing to give out ?

14. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Senior member

Has anyone got some type of LL Bean discount coupon they be willing to give out ?

I think the best you'll get is free shipping every now and then.

15. robbz9206

robbz9206 Senior member

16. indy116

indy116 Senior member

Yea, the first time I wore mine my ankles were pretty raw. I tried to wear them again the next day and couldn't stand to lace em due to the pain. I waited a week before wearing them again, and the second time was a little better but still not encouraging. Another time or two and things really improved. Now I've worn them a lot the past few weeks and they're feeling great.

17. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Thanks Rambo! I'm going to order them.
    No problem. Post your impressions when you get them. I'm curious to see how the width sizing runs for other people.

18. robbz9206

robbz9206 Senior member

19. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

Mine should be coming in the mail anytime this week, i ordered a half size down since most people say they run large, so i hope they fit.

20. acl1

acl1 Senior member

general consensus has been either tts or half-size smaller, so i think it really depends on the width of your foot. i'm a 10.5 D width and tried on a 10 and it fit perfectly.