• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats goss Aus gents?
Any good sales in Syd/online?

Really need a few new jackets (38R) and a overcoat

truevision

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
Whats goss Aus gents?
Any good sales in Syd/online?

Really need a few new jackets (38R) and a overcoat

most places now having their end of financial year sale, including david jones and myer

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
most places now having their end of financial year sale, including david jones and myer

I am thinking of having a mosey on down to DJ's and Myers sometime this week I think, looking mainly for some new dress shoes. Since discovering SF I have realised that I have some serious issues in the dress shoe department, and I am looking to correct this asap! What brands that are available locally (Melbourne) would the Australian SF members suggest? Also what can I expect to pay?

I'm thinking to begin a pair of black cap toes, maybe if the price is right a second pair in brown. Ideally I would like a pair that if looked after properly, will last me a good deal of time and provide a solid foundation in my wardrobe.

__PG__

Reaction score
Myer - Florshiem Royal Imperial - about $250 - $300.

David Jones - Loake and Lloyd for about $380- $400.

Those are full retail prices. Will be interesting to see what they are on sale.

No-one here will recommend Lloyd. Some will recommend Florshiem Royal Imperial as nice cheap shoes for work. People here will recommend that you buy Loake off the Internet for $200.

staralfur

Reaction score
I wandered into DJs today - their half yearly sale is on. I.e. 30% off most brands.

Myer - Florshiem Royal Imperial - about $250 - $300.
Florsheim have really gone downhill, I think even more so in the last couple of years.

I was quite unimpressed with even the Royal Imperial line. Clearly they are all made in China, despite the sign DJs have which suggests the Royal Imperial line is made in Italy. I was tempted to query this with the staff but they were a bit busy being sale time and all that.

The last pair I owned, a few years back, was made in India and I remember the quality seemed a bit better even then.

DJs do have a limited range of Loakes, and my suggestion is to find your size then order from Pediwear in the UK.

They also have RMs on sale at the moment - worth a look for anyone wanting a pair.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by staralfur
I was quite unimpressed with even the Royal Imperial line. Clearly they are all made in China, despite the sign DJs have which suggests the Royal Imperial line is made in Italy. I was tempted to query this with the staff but they were a bit busy being sale time and all that. .
(Unfortunatly) I have a pair of Royal Imperial cap toes that were definitely made in Italy, they're doing okay, but they will be replaced as soon as I finish a neat rotation.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Myer - Florshiem Royal Imperial - about $250 - $300. David Jones - Loake and Lloyd for about $380- $400.Those are full retail prices. Will be interesting to see what they are on sale. No-one here will recommend Lloyd. Some will recommend Florshiem Royal Imperial as nice cheap shoes for work. People here will recommend that you buy Loake off the Internet for $200.
I think the Florshiem own shops are on sale now. Some of the top line Florshiems look ok - I don't know how they wear. Don't bother with Myers - it's gone all seedy and scrappy. DJs city has about 3 Loakes models in a limited range of sizes. For some reason DJs in Doncaster had about 10 or even more models. Louisa's in the city - off Collins in a plaza near Ralph Laurens and Zegna etc has a big range of italian shoes - some of which even look ok - most look bloody awful- but at pretty steep prices - they have sales sometimes. I confess to having a pair of Lloyds - they are at least 10 years old, have worn well and I like 'em ok. If you measure your feet up properly on a bit of paper as per on net guides and send the measurements to Herring or Pediwear they will recommend a size and be pretty bloody reliable. McLouds are a real shoe shop and fit a foot well but they aren't cheap. If you are just starting out getting more dressy you might consider the local option of RMs instead of shoes. I'm not a huge fan but I've softened a bit - others here have more experience with RMs as dressy. And you can always still use yr RMs for a variety of uses - up and down - when you get more shoed up. I do know that RMs will last forever and ever. edit: I notice RMs had full page adverts for their new non metal airport friendly boots. Certainly 'lastic sides with pulls would be convenient if you have pull them on and off at airports - specially if you are dark and swarthy like me

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
edit: I notice RMs had full page adverts for their new non metal airport friendly boots. Certainly 'lastic sides with pulls would be convenient if you have pull them on and off at airports - specially if you are dark and swarthy like me
In twenty years of travelling throughout Australia and overseas, I have never had to remove my shoes. Some of my colleagues have had to do so, because the shoes have metal shanks in the soles, but that is because they are usually wearing shoes by Colorado or something similar. I've never had a problem when wearing shoes Barkers, Loake, Sargent, C&J, Ferragamo Tramezza, Edward Green, or a few other brands. Do RM Williams typically give their shoes metal shanks? If so, why? Why do most leading manufacturers in England and Italy not use shanks, but RM Williams does (if it indeed does)?

mrbig

Reaction score
As far as my buying/handling experience goes; I've never seen or heard of a welted shoe without a shank. The leading English and Italian manufacturers don't really need to sell their quality and don't mention it; whereas RMW has to compete with them, and well, any features are good selling points.

(just definitively answering the question, RMW does use metal shanks)

I know sports shoes use carbon-fibre shanks and i suppose (a shoemaker could probably correct me) a thick piece of leather could be used instead.

I've always had to remove my shoes as an airport requirement...

__PG__

Reaction score
Some nice specials at David Jones today. Zegna and Canali especially.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbig
As far as my buying/handling experience goes; I've never seen or heard of a welted shoe without a shank. The leading English and Italian manufacturers don't really need to sell their quality and don't mention it; whereas RMW has to compete with them, and well, any features are good selling points.

(just definitively answering the question, RMW does use metal shanks)

I know sports shoes use carbon-fibre shanks and i suppose (a shoemaker could probably correct me) a thick piece of leather could be used instead.

I've always had to remove my shoes as an airport requirement...

Thanks for that.

I know that most shoes (excepting sneakers, of course) have shanks - although I believe that Allen-Edmonds does not use them and makes the resulting flexibility of their soles a selling point - but the shank does not necessarily have to be metal. As you note, they could be leather, or also wood, plastic, fibreglass, carbon fibre or many other things, I suppose, as long as the resulting shank is reasonably stiff and strong.

I suppose that I was mainly curious about why shoemakers would use metal shanks, particularly when they have a tendency to set off airport metal detectors, which is quite inconvenient for travellers.

Have you had to remove your shoes because they set off the metal detector, or simply because the security staff want to make sure that you're not smuggling drugs or explosives in your shoes? (You don't wear platform shoes, do you?
smile.gif
)

Curiously, despite making an extensive overseas trip at least once a year, with a few domestic trips each year as well, I've never been asked to remove my shoes.

jobro

Reaction score
I think the fact that RMW are supposed to last a lifetime they don't want to be seen as skimping on quality, especially by farmers etc who are old school in that they don't belive anything can be stronger than 'good ol'' metal.

mrbig

Reaction score
In the past 3 years i've been travelling reasonably frequently; All passengers were asked to remove their shoes... even at Perth airport. I'm sure you know its been a requirement at Heathrow for a while now.

I would make the educated guess that shoemakers use metal shanks because they, well, are metal. They last longer and don't deform under stress whereas, for example, leather, if you had the shoe soaked, would deform or after extensive wear, would deform and need to be replaced.

Look at it this way; you don't pay $1000+ for Lobbs or EG's because they don't set off metal detectors at airports...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members