• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been to the US twice (through LAX Airport) and have had to take my shoes off both times going through on the way home to Australia. Haven't had to do it going through Sydney, though.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
thisdoesnthappen1.jpg

This is an ad campaign that your Office of Tourism is running in America this spring and summer (your fall and winter.)

Thoughts?

Thank you.

- B

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
thisdoesnthappen1.jpg

This is an ad campaign that your Office of Tourism is running in America this spring and summer (your fall and winter.)

Thoughts?

Thank you.

- B

Yes - the bloke on the roo seems bit too formally dressed and thin to be an average USA tourist.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Thanks for that.
Have you had to remove your shoes because they set off the metal detector, or simply because the security staff want to make sure that you're not smuggling drugs or explosives in your shoes? (You don't wear platform shoes, do you?
smile.gif
)
Curiously, despite making an extensive overseas trip at least once a year, with a few domestic trips each year as well, I've never been asked to remove my shoes.

Last year I traveled a bit.

On only one changeover in Heathrow - a bloody nightmare- I estimate I removed my shoes at least 3 times in front of surly poms in uniforms.

Removed them 3 or 4 times at Schipol going through there twice.

Strolled through Aberdeen all shoed up although going over another country - Ireland.

From Ireland to Netherlands - stayed shoed up.

Had nothing to do with alarms going off.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Thoughts?
It's a lie. That is a picture of me on my daily commute to work. You can tell by the blue shoes.

Vinnie Vegas

Reaction score
I don't see the point... There are undoubtedly some dumb tourists who now won't come here... Why turn down the "dumb" money?

Oleg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Last year I traveled a bit. On only one changeover in Heathrow - a bloody nightmare- I estimate I removed my shoes at least 3 times in front of surly poms in uniforms. Removed them 3 or 4 times at Schipol going through there twice. Strolled through Aberdeen all shoed up although going over another country - Ireland. From Ireland to Netherlands - stayed shoed up. Had nothing to do with alarms going off.
Indeed - all pretty random. Strode through Sydney and Heathrow without much hassle at Easter but the scary birds on security at Edinburgh virtually had me in nothing but my socks and kecks (before one of them asked for my phone number. Was so scared of the hatchet faced boiler I almost gave did as I was told
blush.gif
'Shoes aff, noo yer belt, scarf aff, jaicket aff. Noo gi'us yer number')

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sydneycentric
What are your thoughts on the shoe brand 'Milana' being sold in DJs??

Overpriced, like most shoes in Australia, and lower end quality. Though made in Italy, I find the lasts to be mostly unattractive and the leather is usually quite yucky. Milana is a DJ's house brand - some of their accessories such as gloves and socks are actually good quality for the price and very good value when on sale, but I would stay away from the shoes.

One particular gripe I have with the shoes is that on many of the models the toes 'turn up', making them look like you've worn them every day for 10 years and stored them without shoetrees (makes them less comfortable as well I might add).

CHECKstar

Reaction score
For those in Melbourne, Goodwin Charli is having a sale.

3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th of June - 25% off 1 suit, 30% off two.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, another Herringbone factory sale. Has anyone been lately? Any new stock coming in worth checking out?

I purchased a Arthur Galan trench at DJs yesterday at a reasonable discount. It's damn warm.

I went with the intentions of purchasing the Hugo Boss 'Sting' wool/cashmere blend but it wasn’t discount at all. I'll try and source it online as I’m not down with the $1400 price tag.

Also a few work shirts. I was impressed with a few of the Zegna shoes on sale from $700-800 down to $250-300!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Yes - the bloke on the roo seems bit too formally dressed and thin to be an average USA tourist.

Tourists? Did they recently open Australia for tourism?

confused.gif

This is a good move. Australia's magnificent fjords will draw Scandinavians because they prefer familiar vistas, and their more Neanderthal bloodlines will minimize susceptibility to the anthrax endemic in most your centers of population (like Darwin-town and that really big rock where your version of Indians fall asleep.)

- B

Vinnie Vegas

Reaction score
Tourists? Did they recently open Australia for tourism?

confused.gif

This is a good move. Australia's magnificent fjords will draw Scandinavians because they prefer familiar vistas, and their more Neanderthal bloodlines will minimize susceptibility to the anthrax endemic in most your centers of population (like Darwin-town and that really big rock where your version of Indians fall asleep.)

- B

I can't tell if you're mentally ill, or privy to some kind of superior world history protected by a secret society.

I'm inclined to believe it's the latter, but there's no real reason that it can't be both.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vinnie Vegas
I'm inclined to believe it's the latter, but there's no real reason that it can't be both.

I admire the hardiness of your people, living in land covered in an ice sheet three miles thick and facing nearly six months of continuous winter nocturnal darkness.

Colonization of the South Pole and the only island that is a continent is not a trivial accomplishment, especially since penguins are so ill tempered. Those Emperor ones are really big.

- B

Vinnie Vegas

Reaction score
I admire the hardiness of your people, living in land covered in an ice sheet three miles thick and facing nearly six months of continuous winter nocturnal darkness.

Colonization of the South Pole and the only island that is a continent is not a trivial accomplishment, especially since penguins are so ill tempered. Those Emperor ones are really big.

You're forgetting that the average height of the Australian population is 9 feet 7 inches, or 2.6 kilometres in the metric system.

I stuff my pillow with whole Emperor penguins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads