• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

MattB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ls1dreams
Has anyone found a shirt as slim as the Brooks Brothers extra-slim fit shirt? I need something narrow in all areas - shoulders/chest/waist.

I'm trying to find some alternatives that are a little cheaper ( < $40 )

The BB regular slim-fit shirts are pretty huge on me for the neck size I need.

I have the 16-35 BB Extra Slim Fit and found that the "Nordstrom Smartcareâ„¢ Trim Fit Dress Shirt" in a 15.5-34/35 fits exactly the same for $49. The Nordstrom shirt is also non-iron which is a plus. Unfortunately it is only available in white.

Batini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anderalex
I can say that today it become a huge trend of wearing slim fit t-shirts, as they looks cool and trendy. I had seen so many men wearing them but I think it suites to some men only. I love the t-shirt you had given they looks nice. Slim fit doesn't cost too much then it also depends upon the brand you prefer.
What do mean today, this fashion is around forever from 70s if not early.

bma

Reaction score
does anyone know a brand that has a similar cut to zara's slim fit shirts (the one with the green tags) in medium? it's too bad that zara's shirts are so guido-y because they fit me pretty much perfectly

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bma
does anyone know a brand that has a similar cut to zara's slim fit shirts (the one with the green tags) in medium? it's too bad that zara's shirts are so guido-y because they fit me pretty much perfectly

Since you're already shopping cheap, I'm gonna throw out Murano fitted and Express fitted. I own all three and they are the only off the rack shirts that I don't get tailored. Good sleeves, shoulders and fit in both the front and back. Murano is on sale for $20 right now at most Dillards. Not sure about their quality, however.

SD1

Reaction score
For the budget conscious- Macy's is having a BOGO sale of Alfani modern and slim fit polos- $24.99. I picked up a few the other day for work. really good slimmer fit and light fabric- perfect for summer in Florida.

Ossington

Reaction score
For small size people like myself, maybe trying a Brooks Brothers size 18 would be a good call. On paper I am in the range of every dimension except for height. They are also much cheaper (3/100, 45) online. I expect prices to be found cheaper in stores or at sale times. I haven't tried in them in person and my fairly broad shoulders may not make them an option. I'm not complaining, but it seems to make sense to have a size (or two) smaller for many retailers. An old navy small is like a european large.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ossington
For small size people like myself, maybe trying a Brooks Brothers size 18 would be a good call. .

puzzled.gif

Valproate

Reaction score
Don't do this. The collars are too small. I posted a pic on this a while back.

Get the extra slim fit shirt in 14.5/32 if you fit. There's a 2 for $99 sale that expires today.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
size 20 is the largest boys size.
I found a size chart, but it's, I believe, meant for the person's measurements, and not the real measurements of the shirt--no way the shirt goes down to 29 1/2 at the waist and then back to 38 at the hips. here are those measurements:

neck: 15 1/8
chest: 35 1/2
waist: 29 1/2
hip/seat: 38
sleeve length: 32 1/4

original source for measurements (go 2/3rds down):
http://membership.brooksbrothers.com...rt.tem?popup=1

yeah so should I get the pinpoint or the forward point?

Capita

Reaction score
Hey, big noob here who just started dressing himself recently, 19 years old and just finished my first year at college

After reading a lot in this thread and lurking through a lot of styleforum threads I wanted to share what worked with me

Express mx1 fit nice but the stores atmosphere was a bit effeminate for my tastes and the price was a bit steap for my $9 an hour job... (I know, to everyone else here they are way cheap!)

but...

Picked up a slim fitting blue (oxford?) in Medium at H&M for 15 bucks and it has to be the best fitting shirt i have ever worn and even if the materials are crappy and fade / wear out relatively quickly I will not be too disappointed for the price I paid.

A lot of talk scared me about the quality but I think for any college students who are just beginning to change out of their cargo shorts / dunks / and baggy t-shirts, H & M is a great starting point with a cheap buy in

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny how the first several pages are all Finamore, Fray, Barba.. and now all we can see is Express and H&M...

Just saying

GQ1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Capita
Hey, big noob here who just started dressing himself recently, 19 years old and just finished my first year at college

After reading a lot in this thread and lurking through a lot of styleforum threads I wanted to share what worked with me

Express mx1 fit nice but the stores atmosphere was a bit effeminate for my tastes and the price was a bit steap for my $9 an hour job... (I know, to everyone else here they are way cheap!)

but...

Picked up a slim fitting blue (oxford?) in Medium at H&M for 15 bucks and it has to be the best fitting shirt i have ever worn and even if the materials are crappy and fade / wear out relatively quickly I will not be too disappointed for the price I paid.

A lot of talk scared me about the quality but I think for any college students who are just beginning to change out of their cargo shorts / dunks / and baggy t-shirts, H & M is a great starting point with a cheap buy in

+1

Valproate

Reaction score
The problem is that the collars are really short (2 inches) and the cuffs are too. Otherwise, the Brooks Brothers boys size 18 is just a tad trimmer than the Extra Slim Fit 14.5/32.

I sent back all the Size 18's and stocked up on 14.5/32's.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maurice Blake