• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

toffeenkoko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cjones118
Yellow labs can vary in color from almost white to fox red. Labradors are one if not the most popular breed in the world, I think its very easy for someone to say that a mutt is a lab-mix.

John_Willson_Labrador_Retriever.jpg

For the food issue, you can try placing a rubber toy inside the food bowl (we use a Kong this) or you can try speading the food out on a cookie sheet. Labradors have a tendency to eat their food really fast and always seem like they are starving. From your description, he very well could be a lab
lol8[1].gif

thank you for all the info! yes, that's exactly how my other pup looks like! ok, i will try your suggestions about his food. lol, we're always running out of dog food because we always have to feed him! thanks again
smile.gif

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Some people will say that larger dogs subject to bloat should eat slowly to avoid ingesting too much air, but that seems silly to me. I've know people who put a chain in with their dog's food to slow down eating. I wouldn't worry about it. lefty
Putting a tin can on top of the food works as well, since it forces the dog to eat around and under the can rather than just scarfing it all down Saw a commercial today for one of those ultrasonic bark controllers and it actually advocated using it to quiet neighbor's dogs. I don't see how those things aren't illegal, if someone used one on my dog I'd go over and destroy it myself.

cjones118

Reaction score
Originally Posted by toffeenkoko
^^cjones118, thanks so much for your suggestions regarding the food. it worked with my pup.
smile.gif
tc!

You're welcome!! I have done the same thing with my lab and it only seems to slow her down a little bit...

NorCal

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I'm in the market for an Airedale. I decided that despite the potential trouble of a dog and a child I wanted a dog and the Airedale seems right. Mid-size, trainable, hardy, smart, and of decent health. So my question is first, does anyone know of a good breeder in CA? I have contacted the breeders listed below, found randomly via google, and am willing to look in the shelters as well. Is the latter a poor idea? Any particular reason not to get a rescue Airedale? Anything I should be looking for in particular as concerns breeders, pups, or Airedales in general? The other I had considered is the Malinois. Any thoughts as how they would compare to the Airedale as a family dog? The fact that there is a local (n.CAL) breeder is a bonus. Breeders found: http://www.huntingairedales.com/huntingcompanions.htm http://www.webspawner.com/users/airedaleny/index.html http://www3.telus.net/airedales/index.htm http://www.moonlighterairedales.com/ http://www.pets4you.com/pages/fortsage.html

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Lefty can probably answer your questions better than I can, but I suspect the Airedale would make a better choice for a family companion dog than a Malinois. Malinois are extremely high-drive, high-energy dogs. They are excellent for police and similar work but too much dog for most families. (However, I have never owned a specimen of either breed.)

NorCal

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
^Lefty can probably answer your questions better than I can, but I suspect the Airedale would make a better choice for a family companion dog than a Malinois. Malinois are extremely high-drive, high-energy dogs. They are excellent for police and similar work but too much dog for most families. (However, I have never owned a specimen of either breed.)

Thanks, Jan I had kind of come to that same conclusion. As a Cal dog man do you have any insights into breeders or resources for finding breeders?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Malinois is not quite the terror everyone believes it to be - they can and do make good house dogs - but it needs a job, otherwise it will destroy your home. The same could be said for the Dale.

That first breeder, Turnipseed, is well regarded and runs a great info board: http://workingairedale.proboards.com/index.cgi? I would spend some time there. The third breeder in BC has some nice dogs and he is not that far away from you.

The Airedale is a very cool dog and a great overall companion. As to a rescue . . . a good dog is where you find him. You may be getting a crapper or a great dog that someone just couldn't handle. Keep your options open and start researching. In a month you will know a hell of a lot about the breed and begin to narrow your choices which will make your life a little easier.

Good luck.
lefty

NorCal

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks Lefty, I think I found my new obsession to research for a while, 'Dales and hunting dogs. I'm glad to hear Turnipseed is well respected as he got right back to me and seems like a great guy. As for Airy Breeders, those dogs do look great, here is a video from their site: http://s677.photobucket.com/albums/v...=0206-2010.flv And a nice looking Deer Hound from Turnipseed's board:
deergrx2.jpg

toffeenkoko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
The Malinois is not quite the terror everyone believes it to be - they can and do make good house dogs - but it needs a job, otherwise it will destroy your home. The same could be said for the Dale.

lefty

yes, i agree. my dog chewed everything up when he was younger. he ate up his food bowl, his leash, his rubber toys, our chair, my cellphone's charger, my sister's bra, our lan cable and everything else he can find chewable at home. and he's not even pure bred. but he's a very nice dog, he never growl at us everytime we touch him while he's eating, unlike our lab mixed, he gets angry when someone goes near him during meal times. he's very smart too and we've never had a hard time housebreaking him.
smile.gif
our lab still poops everywhere!! \t
uhoh.gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We always described our dog's favorite game as "what was this?" Come home to an indistinguishable item, try and figure out what it used to be.

Only took her 3 years or so to grow out of it.

Also, when dog trainers tell you not to give your dog things like shoes to chew onbecuase it encourgages them, ignore them. We solved shoe chewing issues by giving our dog a pair of old sneakers, and her library book facination by grabbing assorted books from the free books pile at the local used book store and keeping her toybox stocked with them. She goes through a couple per month, but sticks to the ones we give her.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Thanks Lefty, I think I found my new obsession to research for a while, 'Dales and hunting dogs.[/IMG]

There's a lot to research - wait until you start looking into earth dogs.

I'm glad to hear Turnipseed is well respected as he got right back to me and seems like a great guy.

Very good reputation as a straight shooter. One of those links you provided mentioned Oorang Airedales. Be a little careful there and do the research. The working dale board should have a few threads on Oorangs. Interesting history: http://baron-von-aliff.home.att.net/...an-oorang.html

And a nice looking Deer Hound from Turnipseed's board:

Nice looking dog. I have a little fascination with lurchers.

Originally Posted by cptjeff

Also, when dog trainers tell you not to give your dog things like shoes to chew onbecuase it encourgages them, ignore them. We solved shoe chewing issues by giving our dog a pair of old sneakers, and her library book facination by grabbing assorted books from the free books pile at the local used book store and keeping her toybox stocked with them. She goes through a couple per month, but sticks to the ones we give her.

As someone who owns many shoes and books, I don't think I would encourage my dog to chew either. But if it works for you.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I can out run most Neos, but this guy on his property would be tough to beat.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
lefty

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks like a healthier, less "typey" neo.. The type of dogs that are a joy to watch going to work
smile.gif

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to have an Airedale and he was a wonderfull dog. Very sociable, good around kids and very playfull up to a high age. I really bonded with this dog. Took the dog for long long walks and have great memories of his fun character. But one warning I must give you, Airedales have to be trained to listen and obey your commands more than your average dog.
Mine was also quite tempted to go out and explore the world more than we liked. He was often able to get out of the backyard using some trickery. Airedales are active dogs that like to go on long walks. You have to like that. I find it weird to see that people like owning a dog but not going for a reasonably long enough walk with the dog on a daily basis.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerafenupdate