• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jean Shop NYC

Racove

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
Skinnys might fit the bill for you. You'd probably need a size 30 or 31. They are a slim straight jean. but tighter than the 1980.

Thanks sounds like good advice. Any knowledge on how rockers compare to rockers? The JS seem to taper less. Thanks for advice on sizing too

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racove
Thanks sounds like good advice. Any knowledge on how rockers compare to rockers? The JS seem to taper less. Thanks for advice on sizing too
They seem to be completely different. JS Rockers look like a semi-straight cut (ever so slight taper past the knee) while KMW Rockers are downright skinny (about 1" taper down to a small hem). If anything it looks like the KMW 1980s are slightly more tapered than the JS Rockers. ----- My turn for a question: where can I find measurements for JS Skinnys?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do Jean shops fit compared to KMW? I have KMW 1980s and KMW Rockers for reference. Both are size 32. Would like a cut that this is in between these two styles. The 1980s are too loose in the seat and have a high back rise. The Rockers fit much better in this department, but they taper too much for my liking.

thanks!

Originally Posted by tigerFormula
Skinnys might fit the bill for you. You'd probably need a size 30 or 31. They are a slim straight jean. but tighter than the 1980.

Tiger's right. Jean Shop 'Rockers' are in between the 1980 and the KMW 'Rocker'...but closer to the 1980 fit with a slightly wider leg opening.

The Jean Shop 'Skinny' is a better interpretation of a skinny fit, I think than KMW offers. The KMW Rocker is exacly the 1980 cut, just tapered more, which felt like an afterthought to me.

Try them both on, if you can, because I personally wasn't deeply impressed with either 'skinny' version. Bought both, got rid of both (yes, Tiger...I know ;-)

You may find the Skull 5010 or 5507 much better to your liking, especially the 5010, which I find to be the ideal 'skinny-er' jean (but not 'emo' skinny).

Racove

Reaction score
I picked up some JS black-on-black rockers sz 31 from gilt.
Thanks for sizing advice. It's a great cut!

I noticed they are hand dated 10/17/2006. Talk about NOS!
Just curious, any noticeable changes to the model over that time? Quality up down or same?

I was surprised that it's not selvage. Not like it really matters, but that would be my prefernce. Stacks better and cuffs better.

This is also my first pair of black jeans. Seems much harder to notice the quality than with indigo, where it's pretty obvious. Do normal rules apply? Hard to expect any fades from wear when weft is black too. Maybe just general color loss from washing? Am I mistaken?

puddin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Tiger's right. Jean Shop 'Rockers' are in between the 1980 and the KMW 'Rocker'...but closer to the 1980 fit with a slightly wider leg opening.
Not from my experience. My JS Rockers in size 28 are almost identical to my APC Rescues in size 28, except that the JS have a lower rise and a roomier cut to the top block (maybe JS has a slightly slimmer cut, but not really noticeably). They are a very straight leg cut, no taper at all. I'm not as familiar with KMW 1980 cause I've never owned them, but I'd say that based on the measurements I've seen they are a very similar cut to both of these models. Also, as far as sizing advice, my JS were vanity sized like APC and stretched like APC.

kalanigee

Reaction score
I picked up some JS black-on-black rockers sz 31 from gilt. Thanks for sizing advice. It's a great cut! I noticed they are hand dated 10/17/2006. Talk about NOS! Just curious, any noticeable changes to the model over that time? Quality up down or same? I was surprised that it's not selvage. Not like it really matters, but that would be my prefernce. Stacks better and cuffs better. This is also my first pair of black jeans. Seems much harder to notice the quality than with indigo, where it's pretty obvious. Do normal rules apply? Hard to expect any fades from wear when weft is black too. Maybe just general color loss from washing? Am I mistaken?
I picked up a pair as well and was also surprised they were from '06 considering they've been around since only '05. I thought they weren't selvedge at first too, but I emailed the shop and Eric kindly explained the details to me. First, they are selvedge. There might not be an orange selvedge line like the Rocker Black X's but if you look closely you'll notice there are no frayed edges or overlocked stitching. The difference between the one's we purchased and the Black X's are that ours are garment dyed black vs. fabric dyed black on the X's. The X is stiffer for that reason. I'm assuming ours will lose color quicker for that same reason also. I asked if they ever in the history of their existence made their jeans with non-selvedge denim to which Eric replied "No, since the first day everything has been selvedge. All of our fabric is exclusive to JS and it is 100% selvedge since day 1". He also mentioned the weight is 13.5oz. and is 100% cotton made in japan. And they will stretch like the indigos as well. Super happy with the purchase. Thought I'd share the info.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Damn, that's pretty cool that Eric would be that helpful with something he wasn't selling directly.

When we go to NYC, we can try to interview him, and settle this "western or not" thing once and for all. At least one of Shoreman or Magician will be there as witnesses.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
When we go to NYC, we can try to interview him, and settle this "western or not" thing once and for all. At least one of Shoreman or Magician will be there as witnesses.
Absolutely. I can't wait to find out why or even if orange is associated with the Wild, Wild West. Will Smith wasn't dressed like a goddamn Valencia, that's for sure.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy

Word. I'd love to hear more about his philosophy on the branding too.

Originally Posted by kalanigee
I picked up a pair as well and was also surprised they were from '06 considering they've been around since only '05.

He also mentioned the weight is 13.5oz. and is 100% cotton made in japan. And they will stretch like the indigos as well.

I've gotten a piar that were a year old directly from JS, but that's pretty impressive.

The denim weight was something I'd always been cutious about. No data on it I've been able to find. I reckoned it was abt. 13oz. or so, but feels so much lighter because of it's smooth hand.

Originally Posted by whodini
Absolutely. I can't wait to find out why or even if orange is associated with the Wild, Wild West. Will Smith wasn't dressed like a goddamn Valencia, that's for sure.

Heheh.

Racove

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kalanigee
I picked up a pair as well and was also surprised they were from '06 considering they've been around since only '05. I thought they weren't selvedge at first too, but I emailed the shop and Eric kindly explained the details to me.

First, they are selvedge. There might not be an orange selvedge line like the Rocker Black X's but if you look closely you'll notice there are no frayed edges or overlocked stitching. The difference between the one's we purchased and the Black X's are that ours are garment dyed black vs. fabric dyed black on the X's. The X is stiffer for that reason. I'm assuming ours will lose color quicker for that same reason also.

I asked if they ever in the history of their existence made their jeans with non-selvedge denim to which Eric replied "No, since the first day everything has been selvedge. All of our fabric is exclusive to JS and it is 100% selvedge since day 1".

He also mentioned the weight is 13.5oz. and is 100% cotton made in japan. And they will stretch like the indigos as well.

Super happy with the purchase. Thought I'd share the info.

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like these stretch as much as any other denim out there. Is the general advice to size down as much as possible a la APC? I tried that with Nudie Slim Jims (size 32) but stopped wearing them after a few months. Seemed like a crotch blowout was imminent and they hadn't really stretched to fit as much as I would've like. They were the MiI ones, which seems to stretch less than the MiJ denim. The denim was pretty light weight, but so are the JS. Even the sz 30 Rockers seem a tad fuller in the thighs though, which might make all the difference.

I ordered Rockers in 30 (super snug pre-soak) and 31(snug pre-soak) and trying to decide. I know they are sanfordized, but should still shrink w/ a soak. Would lean towards 31s for most denim, but I've been warned about these might stretch more than my experiences with SugarCanes or KMW. Also I wear 32s in KMW 1980, but could probably gone down a size after stretching due to the high rise and full top block.

doink

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like these stretch as much as any other denim out there. Is the general advice to size down as much as possible a la APC?

I have a pair of the classic fit. I sized down 1 and the sales guy tried to get me down 2 but I could not get them done up without it being painful and did not trust him that they'd stretch as much as they have, plus I like a more relaxed/classic fit. I think these are a jean that need to be sized down until extra snug, they stretch out alot and quickly once washed.

I bought mine this summer and they were made in 2007. Makes you wonder how either Jean Shop or stores that sell them make money if stock does not turn very quickly.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Rockers are the same size as my APC NS. So yeah, I sized down 2.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like these stretch as much as any other denim out there. Is the general advice to size down as much as possible a la APC?

I ordered Rockers in 30 (super snug pre-soak) and 31(snug pre-soak) and trying to decide. I know they are sanfordized, but should still shrink w/ a soak. .

Originally Posted by Nil
My Rockers are the same size as my APC NS. So yeah, I sized down 2.

These will stretch like crazy. Crazy. As in APC crazy, maybe more (2+ inches). I wear a 30 in most, and got 28s in APC and JS.

Interestingly, the 28 JS measured 31 pre-soak. Soaked, it was closer to 30.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NethTanyang