• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Overrated Musical Artists

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
chill out michael mcdonald, was talking to princess conne.

Originally Posted by JD_May
Bring it.

Seriously, she's not untalented, and that's great, but her songs are atrocious.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You dipshits mean the Grateful Dead?

Overrated, maybe, because they get blown out of proportion.... but ultimately a ******* great band and were around forever making good music.

Whatever dude - Kunk and I will kill u! (well mostly Kunk).

Box of Rain and Ripple are the only two Dead songs that are tolerable.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and a box of wine is the only way to make it through a Dead album

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Althis
Paganini, way overrated

but on a serious note, im going to have to go with Led Zepplin, i have tried listening to his stuff and i just don't see what all the love for him is about

By all means, let's move on to a serious note.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07

and a bottle of ripple
laugh.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
Whatever dude - Kunk and I will kill u! (well mostly Kunk).

Box of Rain and Ripple are the only two Dead songs that are tolerable.

Originally Posted by thekunk07

facepalm.gif

You guys suck
Tons of great songs.
Garcia was one of the greatest guitarists of all time, and he did it all with 9 fingers and being blazed 99% of the time.

Of course their albums suck, they were never intended to be recorded. Listen to a live recording of a show. It's ******* transformative.

JerryGarciaHandR.jpg

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has so much fail. Why don't we just name every popular/critically aclaimed band we don't like. This is not the ******* point. People need to differentiate between bands that don't do it for them that are acclaimed as great bands and bands that they legitimately think are overrated by people who are into music, not frat boys or marsupialed populists based on some perihperal criteria (regional popularity, their affiliation with some cultural movement, their affiliation with some nostalgia, their affiliation with some region, etc.).

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bob Dylan! Of his early 'great albums' -Blood on the Tracks, Blond on Blond, Highway 61- only half the songs these remain listenable. And even the songs that are good, how many people queue them up on their playlist just for the joy of listening to them? And these are the highpoints of a man that has put out scores of albums- Dylan's low points were very low indeed- Im talking about the 80s. He had a couple of smashing songs during the 1990s, and the one Dylan album I really love and listen to is Time out of Mind.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
This thread has so much fail. Why don't we just name every popular/critically aclaimed band we don't like. This is not the ******* point. People need to differentiate between bands that don't do it for them that are acclaimed as great bands and bands that they legitimately think are overrated by people who are into music, not frat boys or marsupialed populists based on some perihperal criteria (regional popularity, their affiliation with some cultural movement, their affiliation with some nostalgia, their affiliation with some region, etc.).

All I need to know is this:

Grateful Dead- overrated- yes or no.

Go!

Casual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Bob Dylan! Of his early 'great albums' -Blood on the Tracks, Blond on Blond, Highway 61- only half the songs these remain listenable. And even the songs that are good, how many people queue them up on their playlist just for the joy of listening to them? And these are the highpoints of a man that has put out scores of albums- Dylan's low points were very low indeed- Im talking about the 80s. He had a couple of smashing songs during the 1990s, and the one Dylan album I really love and listen to is Time out of Mind.

Hear, hear, the electric Dylan stuff is definitely overrated.
The first couple Rolling Stones records in the seventies have some great songs, but by "Black and Blue" it was embarrassing.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Dead may not be the greatest rock band in history, but a live performance was a life-altering experience. And I can't name another band that had (has) a more faithful following. I know people who basically put their lives on hold and followed the Dead around the country for years, going from gig to gig.

Allowing fans to tape their shows was a stroke of genius. There are still people trading tapes of concerts that occurred 30+ years ago.

kwilk is right: the Dead's albums were basically afterthoughts. The real Dead was a live Dead.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
All I need to know is this: Grateful Dead- overrated- yes or no. Go!
No, not overrated. Correctly rated, critically. They had an ear for melody, I mean the jams are great if you're into jam bands (and many a bands touring/jam band MO was modeled after them, not sure another rock band ever did this before them). Just because a bunch of stoners loved them (or rather more accurately loved going getting high and going to their concerts, getting high and listening to their records, and the general lifestyle that they embodied/advocated/enabled) doesn't mean that everyone really though they were better than the Beatles or anything. They were what they were.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremygrooks