• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I live on my own making only $32,500 a year?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog
Everyone knows Conne's a full time college student, so I doubt he was actually trying to fool anyone.

It was a job on CE posters saying you couldn't live in NYC under 150K and other niceties.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
If you call a world without bespoke suits, overnight trips to Italy for dinners and being forced to rub elbows with the unwashed masses on the subway 'living', then yes, go for it.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog
Everyone knows Conne's a full time college student, so I doubt he was actually trying to fool anyone.

He's actually referring to how much he saved by going to Ohio State instead of an Ivy. It's like making money!

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
I was in Va for work right after college and I think I could survive on less in NYC. Between the absurd traffic laws, the 17 cops per capita that insure you AT LEAST one ticket a year ( I got 3 to the tune of 720 bucks and I had never gotten a ticket in my life prior or since), the insane traffic and even crazier housing and food prices, I think San Diego Gas Lamp and a lease on a Gallardo might be cheaper.

Yeah the DC cops are so amazing that I even got a parking ticket in D.C. without having been there in years! It turns out they gave me a ticket, 20 minutes after I crossed the GW bridge into Manhattan 2-300 miles away. Brilliant. Thank goodness for EZPass records.

There is something fishy about that business and I wonder how much of the ticketing is legit.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To answer the OP question, I lived on $35k a year for about 2 years after college. I saved 10-15k during that time, it was quite easy. I didn't live that poor either, hung out with friends, bought drinks, bought new clothes. I rented a room in a house for $500 and I bought a used $1800 car, no other major expenses.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but...

Am I the only one who thinks $300 a month for groceries for one person is way high?
I mean, I also live in the city (albeit a slightly cheaper one) and I spend maybe $100 a month on groceries (and its not like I'm living on ramen), even if you added another $100/month for eating out thats still only $200 a month.

Comparatively, $120 for going out isn't going to go very far at all... especially if you have anything to eat while out drinking

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
One big tip that just occurred to me in reading this thread... Buy a lunch box and use it to take your lunch to work everyday.
http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-Bent...9168301&sr=8-1 Mr. Bento for $36 shipped. Has two warm containers that stay hot for 6 hours, and two cold ones that stay cold for 6 hours as well. I just got one and a nice Thermos for this year at school.
Originally Posted by Meis
I mean, I also live in the city (albeit a slightly cheaper one) and I spend maybe $100 a month on groceries (and its not like I'm living on ramen), even if you added another $100/month for eating out thats still only $200 a month.
$25/week is ridiculously low, a pound of lunch meat is a third of your budget alone. When I am trying to eat really cheap, I spend $50 on groceries. I am not purchasing any soda, cookies, snacks, processed foods, etc. and mostly things that are on sale (buy one get one free) in that week's circular. A week or two eating like this and I become prone to eating out too much. It usually works out better if I spend a bit more at the grocery and go to the local specialty market to get good things to eat, because eating out adds up QUICK.

oroy38

Reaction score
People raise families on less. A lone college grad should breeze by. Sounds like you'll be fine, and with $800 a month to toss around, you'll be set for any partying/dating you need to do. Consider throwing $200 a month into a ROTH IRA or Savings Account. The earlier you get started, the better off you'll be in the long run.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not saving any money, so you're fucked.

You can't spend any money, since you only have $800/mo to spend, so you're fucked.

If you're coming out of college, you should be making at least 60K, so you are significantly behind the curve, so again, you're fucked.

Get a different job.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live on my own in DC making less than this.

EDIT: About the same when I consider performance income, maybe a little more. Have you tried getting a weekend job bartending or something? or performing if you play guitar or some ****?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am constantly amazed at the number of posters here who are completely and utterly removed from the reality facing most people in the US.

Of course you can live on $32.5K a year.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I am constantly amazed at the number of posters here who are completely and utterly removed from the reality facing most people in the US.

Of course you can live on $32.5K a year.

Town where I spent a good portion of my life had an average income of about 30k/year for a FAMILY OF FOUR!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michael13