• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your five favorite bands and I will mock and generalize you.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach
laugh.gif

while funny, your assessment is totally off. i prefer consciousness and lucidity over "altered states" and i never have/never will use hallucinogens.

to recapitulate:
EPIC FAIL.

This may be true - but then I'm calling bullshit on your actual enjoyment of half those bands. I mean, have you ever seen Ween live? You ever done it sober? - it's ******* awful.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Mighty Sparrow Luke/two live crew Akinyele LiL Kim
I know you are ******* with me - but give me a stack of those albums and I could throw a hell of a party.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
This may be true - but then I'm calling bullshit on your actual enjoyment of half those bands. I mean, have you ever seen Ween live? You ever done it sober? - it's ******* awful.

yes, i have seen ween live, at lollapalooza, you cock. and if you must know, i smoked TEH TREEZ.

ween can be enjoyed live without drugs, though. their drummer is ******* awesome and it's a lot different than their studio albums... which usually require illegal drugs to appreciate.

speaking of enjoyment, do you feel a burning musical passion when you listen to drone? i know people who listen to that genre, but IMO they've deluded themselves into appreciating musically bankrupt noise... they get high off of feeling "unique" because they listen to unheard of bands, rather than off of any musical content.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of enjoyment, do you feel a burning musical passion when you listen to drone? i know people who listen to that genre, but IMO they've deluded themselves into appreciating musically bankrupt noise... they get high off of feeling "unique" because they listen to unheard of bands, rather than off of any musical content.
I happen to genuinely love drone - but I agree with your sentiments. You can't approach drone the same way you approach other music. It would be like comparing a tailored suit to a firefighters uniform. Sure they are in the same general category - but they are so vastly different you can't compare them with the same standards. Perhaps a better analog would be in the art world - the works of Vermeer are wonderful for the technique and aesthetic composition while Duchamp's are wonderful for their novelty and provocation. Drone is wonderful as a sort of meditative technique - especially live. I know that sounds pretentious but it is a rich experience to have your senses overloaded with noise and completely surrender to the sounds. Drone at low volume can be a great sleep/relaxation aid, especially in a noisy environment. I happen to have both Justin Timberlake and Sunn0))) in my regular rotation - so I like to think I am not too much of a "rockist." I feel it is almost just as snobby to discount heavily experimental bands as it is to discount mainstream pop. For the drone neophyte Sonic Youth is a wonderful way to ease in to things from more standard rock conventions. My Bloody Valentine works well too. Or you could just be adventurous and dive headfirst in to the Southern Lord back catalog.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Janes Addiction
Led Zepplin
Elliott Smith
Heitor Villa-Lobos
Nine Inch Nails

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
Janes Addiction
Led Zepplin
Elliott Smith
Heitor Villa-Lobos
Nine Inch Nails

It's a good thing you have some fabulous suits because you're sure as hell not wowing anyone with your music taste. Enjoy listening to Guns 'N Roses on Dell Digital Jukebox, white boy.

Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Reaction score
that depends on whether or not you share my musical tastes
devil.gif

i'm being half serious... music kicks ass and people who don't think music kicks ass are lame bitches.
(can you tell that i'm a teenager yet?)

i hear these bands lumped together all the time, and i sort of want to check them out because they're supposedly like bauhaus... and bauhaus is pretty sweet. which would be the best album(s) for a newcomer?

New Order - Substance
Joy Division - Substance
Echo and the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses, Some Great Reward

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
I prefer Cracka, thank you.
i don't understand the villa-lobos amongst 90's art/industrial rock bands +classic rock bands... explain? bachianas brasileiras dude!!1! rawk on. also, i was obsessed (yes, i collected live shows) and grew out of janes addiction when i was 14. how old are you?

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Top 5 artists this past week:

Fleet Foxes
Bon Iver
MGMT
J Dilla
Hot Chip

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't understand the villa-lobos amongst 90's art/industrial rock bands +classic rock bands... explain?

bachianas brasileiras dude!!1! rawk on.

also, i was obsessed (yes, i collected live shows) and grew out of janes addiction when i was 14. how old are you?

I play guitar and ventured into "classic" after growing terribly bored with Rock. I found HVL through Segovia, and learned all of his etudes for guitar. His composition structure was/is amazing, and consequently called him a favorite.

For the rest, I really can't say I have favorites per se - so I just did a song/play count on my IPod to generate the aforementioned list. I really liked Janes in the late 80's, early 90's and still enjoy listening to the songs. Suppose I could say the same about Radiohead or Soundgarden, or MSG.

And 14 was a little over 20 years ago...
plain.gif

illeagle

Reaction score
The Roots
Radiohead
Kings of Leon
Dirty Pretty Things
The Faint

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
magician's contributions to this thread cannot be overstated. i am offended he hasn't picked my choices apart.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minhnguyen38