• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Top 5 Authors of all time

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't read any one author extensively, but I do have favorite books that lead me to believe a particular author is my favorite... If that makes any sense.

William Faulkner (Light in August, The Sound and the Fury)
Ernest Hemingway (The Sun Also Rises)
Charles Bukowski (Ham on Rye, South of No North, Slouching Towards Nirvana, Pretty much anything this guy wrote)
Raymond Chandler
Hunter S. Thompson (The Rum Diaries, Hell's Angels, Fear and Loathing)

I would like to say John Steinbeck as well, but I haven't read nearly as much as I should have... Same with Herman Hesse.

Mark Twain also gets an honorable mention. Seriously too many authors to name.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure to revise this list a few times, but here goes:

Christopher Moore
Salman Rushdie
Christopher Hitchens
Ernest Hemingway

That last one's pretty uncertain, though. Murakami? Buckley? Pratchett? I could make a case for any of them, actually.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14
Is this a list of the five authors we enjoy reading the most, or a list of the five authors who we consider to be "the best?"

Neither. This is SF. List the five authors which make you seem most sophisticated. Bonus points for obscure choices.

Telefonica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Ugh, I haven't read a novel or short story in forever. Here's my own dilettante list:

Fyodor Dostoevsky
Lawrence Sterne
Franz Kafka
Andre Gide
Jorge Luis Borges

I also seem to recall liking Thomas Hardy, Thomas de Quincey, and Dante Alighieri, but that was omg soooooo long ago.

Nice to see Kafka finally make someone's list. I love Kafka. When I read his work, I feel like I'm dreaming. No other author can do that.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Cesare Pavese
Georges Bataille
00a9.png
o Malet
Saint-John Perse
Leon Tolstoï

Or something, it's actually sorta hard to decide like that. Arrgggh I forgot Flaubert (sentimental education might be the most perfect book evaarrr) and Gide.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Steinbeck
Orhan Pamuk
Zhu Xi
Carl Jung
Sophocles

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
For spallacamiccia, who I got on ignore but anyway:

Louis-Ferdinand CÃ
00a9.png
line
Pierre Drieu la Rochelle
Robert Brasillach
Paul Claudel
Emil Cioran

(note, I didn’t cheat cause I listed good writers well I guess Brasillach is debatable)

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
For spallacamiccia, who I got on ignore but anyway:

Louis-Ferdinand CÃ
00a9.png
line
Pierre Drieu la Rochelle
Robert Brasillach
Paul Claudel
Emil Cioran

(note, I didn't cheat cause I listed good writers well I guess Brasillach is debatable)

Nice, I don´t know any of those frenchs. Honestly I prefer jewish writers as Stan Lee.

If you have me on ignore, how is that you read me, I got you!

Avocat

Reaction score
There are a great many excellent novels of various genres already listed above (being excellent reads all); and to which I'll add the following: Classics (Politico & Philosophy) Plato John Stuart Mill Adam Smith John Locke Thomas Hobbes Honourable Mention: Friedrich Nietzsche, Edmund Burke, Aristotle, and so many others. Classics (Literary): John Steinbeck Charles Dickens (+1) Edgar Allan Poe (+1) Leonard Wibberley Farley Mowat Honourary Mention: William Shakespeare (and many others here that have already been mentioned). Other: Peter Wright Hunter S. Thompson (+1) Margaret Atwood Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. John Grisham And Sci-Fi & Fantasy: Douglas Adams, George Orwell, Aldous Huxley, Philip K. Dick, and Isaac Asimov (among others, too).

Jarandas

Reaction score
Mine:

- Chuck Palahniuck (every book but "Tell All" was a bit of a dissapointment)

- Dean Koontz (airport reading, but good, IMO)

- Bret Easton Ellis (obviously)

-
worship2.gif
Hemingway

- Michael Crichton (I enjoyed "Next")

Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Platon

San Escrivá de Balaguer

Ludwing von Misses

Nixon

Stan Lee
fing02[1].gif

Opus Dei!!!

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads