• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Top 5 Authors of all time

Frihed89

Reaction score
In no particular order, but each of these people wrote a book that made a large impression on me at the time. To me they are important.

Joyce Carey
Djuna Barnes
Henry James
Malcolm Cowley, even though he only really wrote one book
EM Forrester

Cotillion

Reaction score
Fyodor Dostoevsky
Franz Kafka
Hermann Hesse
Thomas Pynchon
Neal Stephenson

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
^ What's your favorite Pynchon, Cotillion?

EZ

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
^ ArteEtLabore14 Well the fact that he up and died before finishing the damn thing does make me mad! I'll agree, he meanders around plenty, but I found myself liking his characters well enough that I enjoyed the series, and am looking forward to the conclusion to see how it ends. Will also be the first to admit that I'm not a huge connoisseur of the genre, so am certainly not an authority. I would like to read more fantasy, any suggestions along those lines? EZ
Along those Lines from an old thread:
Originally Posted by CDFS
+1 on George RR Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire series. In his books the baddies are well defined which is a nice divergence from normal Fantasy. From Weis & Hickman I verry much liked the Death Gate Cycle. Certainly the first books (of 7) made me laugh a couple of times and there is plenty of well written action. For better written action sequences am sideing with Flambeur, Peter F. Hamilton's The Night's Dawn trilogy is imo one of the best in it's genre. Its scifi though. But if you enjoy those it's good to know that Hamilton is a prolific writer. You may want to stop reading before he stops writing (me not so much). Best of all imo are Heroes die and Blade of Tyshalle by Matthew Woodring Stover. (doubting while writing if one should put capslock on). Better action scenes I have not yet read and the main character is a bad ass! FYI: They are Fantasy with some Scfifi thrown in. Orson Scott Card I like. Is SF though. David Gemmel writes simple fantasy. Hero starts of as a nobody. Finds himself, finds a girl, saves the nation and inbetween does all the heroic stuff. Not much character interaction. The farseer trilogy is well written but if like me your middle name is 'Depression' perhaps not for you. If you watch European movies you know what I mean when I say they have European endings, but not the titty flash in the first 10 minutes (Dutch movies simply rule). Terry Goodkind, what can I say. Before you start reading his work Look at the picture that is on the inside of the backcover. Yes that Ãs the writer himself there. Truly. Now there is a narcistic person who writes about a hero figure who is everything he is by looks and presumebly character, but better. The main character is a bore, but what is realy wrong with the books is the sheer adulation all the other characters feel for him. I remember one part which went along the line of this (can't recall the exact words) "He is so masterful, daring, beautiful commanding, muscled, powerful, intelligent..." I don't know how to go on. Goodkind could! Had to sell them and felt almost as good as when I tore Ayn Rand's Atlas shrugged in half to protect further generations from that drivel. I'm sorry if I stepped on anybodys toes. I guess I feel so emotional about it, it had to come out
tounge.gif
Cheers, CDFS

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
David Markson
William Vollmann
David Foster Wallace
Flannery O'Connor
Felipe Alfau

I dunno. this is pretty much off the top of my head.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorites:

Tolkien

George RR Martin

Stephen King

Hemingway

Patrick O'Brian

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
raymond chandler
ross macdonald
hubert selby jr
charles bukowski
charlie huston

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's cliche, but Twain and Hemingway have to be there in my opinion. Perhaps the two greatest American storytellers.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
CDFS - Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

EZ

Cotillion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
^ What's your favorite Pynchon, Cotillion? EZ
At the moment its Against the Day because I am in the middle of reading it and need to find time to finish it. =)

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
Noam Chomsky
John Grisham
Chuck Palahniuk
William Burroughs
Mario Puzo

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^trolling?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Robert Heinlein
William Gibson
Robert B. Parker
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Leon Uris

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Albert Camus
Georges Bataille
Hunter S Thompson
Henry Miller
Boris Vian

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads