• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Best & Worst Purchases of 2009

__CB__

Reaction score
Best: Junya blazer, Dries cardigan and jacket, Church's desert boots, Number Nine hiking sneakers
Worst: Some lousy thrift/consignment store pickups, CP Company parka I managed to get bleach stains all over...

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Best: J. Crew fatigue jacket; J. Crew red/black buffalo check flannel shirt; vintage store cashmere houndstooth sport coat circa 1965; I'll be optimistic and put today's purchase of a J. Crew creme cotton-knit shawl collar cardigan in this category also.

Worst: vintage store lambswool v-neck by Jeff Lord that would have been fab if not for the holes in the shoulders I discovered after purchasing (store graciously took the return); vintage store late-70s Levis cords (looked good in the store, but in light of day, I noticed paint stains. Previous owner must have been an art student. I still wear them but only for play.)

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best: Oliver Peoples Victory sunglasses, J Crew Peacoat after my tailor made it mine, RW Iron Rangers. I'll be optimistic and put the Fiorentini & Bakers that are in transit in this category also.

Worst: A couple H&M shirts and belt that I returned.

Yardsale

Reaction score
best: south willard x cdw down jacket filippa k boots band of outsider suit (i seem to buy one every year...) yuketen boots (100 bucks new!) braun aw75 watch uniqlo cords (perfect and only 40 bucks) junya shirt worst: Robert Geller drifter jacket (too damn big, even though it said 34...shame too) brown common projects (too damn boring, waste of space) patrik ervell shirt (even at XS, fits like a steezy trashbag) raf simons mohair turtleneck sweater (itchy as ****, really long...just not my style) I dunno I thought I would have more worst buys but I can't really recall anything of note.

spencers

Reaction score
best sterlingwear peacoat gitman bros vintage plaid buttondown sperry chukka suede bluepoint our legacy alpaca sweater our legacy shawl collar cardi nudie slim jim (seriously!) converse sneaks all my Alt. Apparel purchases OCBD from naked&famous selvedge button down from naked&famous worst woolrich shirt in XS (seriously too small) polo custom fit long sleeve polo (fits like a sheet)

BrooklynHighpost

Reaction score
Best:

NAU blazing jacket
sperry chukka suede
F+B boots
Jcrew oxford shirt

Worst:

Jcrew Officer chino (paid retail, doesn't go with anything. Looked perfect in the store dressing room though, wtf?)
Paul Smith socks (pricey, even after sale)
46" LCD tv (don't even watch much tv after buying it)
Boss speakers (for the tv, too expensive)

fudgebutt

Reaction score
best: alexander yamaguchi t's at the end of the year
ande whall grifters at the beginning

worst: maiden noir t - never again will i buy a cheap cotton jersey t-shirt, that **** fades too fast and feels meh

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
Best:
  • Nau Urbane Jacket
  • APC NS Jeans
  • TST Sneakers
  • H&M Grey Blazer
  • CP Black Court Lows

Worst:
  • Quoddy x South Willard Red Brick Sole Bluchers - Paid too much for them. The suede is always dirty...especially the hump on the back. Uncomfortable to drive with.
  • **** from Urban Outfitters that I regret buying an hour later

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __CB__
Best: Junya blazer, Dries cardigan and jacket, Church's desert boots, Number Nine hiking sneakers

Are those the ones that look like Chucks combined with a hiking boot style on the top?

porschemad911

Reaction score
2009 was the first year I really paid any attention to sartorial matters. Thanks to everyone for a very informative forum here! There's been a lot of purchases this year, both good and bad, as I've rebuilt / diversified my wardrobe. I was also surprised how much stuff I had in my closet that simply didn't fit when going through for a cleanout.

Best purchase:
- Very happy with lots of purchases, but on value, a pair of nice dark Saba straight leg jeans has to win ($14 AUS on eBay barely worn)
- Best in absolute terms, a black Joseph Abboud baby alpaca cable knit sweater.

Worst purchases:
- Lots of clothes that didn't fit from eBay until I worked out my proper measurements with the help of a tape measure. It's strange, at 6 feet and 75 - 80 kg I don't think of myself as small, but this is the size I end up buying to get a decent fit in a lot of brands!
- Being disappointed by buying brands recommended by my sister (Hilfiger, Hugo Boss).
- Fakes on eBay.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best: Yuketen x Woolrich Chukkas
Several Gitman Vintage BD’s
RRL Chinos
PRPS Jeans
Happy Socks
Baracuta G4 and G9 Slim

Worst: Some poorly fitted t-shirts and Boxy BD Shirts

SPK

Reaction score
Best: ToJ DR, ToJ WV, NDG deck hoodie, Uniqlo Flannels, KMW rockers

Worst: Gitman Vintage plaid BD, Redwings, BOO shirt. Mostly because they didn't fit right.

svelten

Reaction score
Best 3: -APC Peacoat (100% wool, super warm, good for any season except summer) -Jil Sander x Uniqlo navy suit (Warm and fits OTR without any issue, just had to hem pant length) -Nudie Average Joe (Excellent fit, versatile, bought NWT at $70, truly the gold standard of inexpensive quality denim) Bonus: A few pairs of CK 365-dry boxer briefs that I bought with a gift card. My balls haven't felt better since I lost my virginity. Worst 3: -APC NS (Unpredictable stretching, 2 sizes down is way too tight, 1 size down and it eventually becomes too loose to wear without a belt. I frankly hate APC denim.) -Y3 track jacket (Looks cool but pretty useless - too nice to workout/run with, too inappropriate to go out with) -Alexander McQueen scarf (For my gf - I don't think she has worn it more than once all year)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carollesteru