• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Best & Worst Purchases of 2009

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Not sure if this is a joke, but it's a recurring theme on SF; one might call it the jet corollary (see also the kitonbrioni theorem and the works of the Dopists. I'd qualify it by saying sure, if you buy something b/c it's cheap, your chances for disappointment and regret increase. However, analysis of the evidence shows that it does not follow that buying expensive items correlates with happiness/consumer satisfaction.

true true true. However if the US consumer understood this, our economy would die.

It should be noted that posting pictures online of expensive items does indeed result in growth of epeen. Posters experiencing epeen growth longer than 4 hours should contact a physician.

lol but I usually post items to get reactions from the SF ("DLester I wouldn't let my dog wear that!") and to share what I have found (to grow the knowledge base of SF regarding what is out there, that sort of thing), not for epeen. For a while I was leaving brand names off my pics so I could remove any bias and get people's gut reactions, but someone said that was annoying so I put them back in.

Whatevah

mondayc

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a joke, but it's a recurring theme on SF; one might call it the jet corollary (see also the kitonbrioni theorem and the works of the Dopists). I'd qualify it by saying sure, if you buy something b/c it's cheap, your chances for disappointment and regret increase. However, analysis of the evidence shows that it does not follow that buying expensive items correlates with happiness/consumer satisfaction. It should be noted that posting pictures online of expensive items does indeed result in growth of epeen. Posters experiencing epeen growth longer than 4 hours should contact a physician.
A little bit of a joke, but a lot of truth in it too. I've bought about 8 cheap things (<$30) on B&S and the only one I still wear is an UO bomber jacket. The rest have been donated or re-gifted and at least someone else likes them now. I also forgot to add one of my favorite purchases was a pair of cheap Uniqlo slim-fit gym shorts. Cheap and so comfortable to sleep in.

Class54

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
What was the problem with the quality?

They are not really bad, just some minor reoccurring problems that required me to return them to the store (twice) and then later take them to a cobbler and getting them resoled (twice) within the 1st month of purchase. Plus I was wearing them on the 2 separate occasions when I lost my job and had a woman dump me. I had them on when a woman I had just met and was taking home vomited all over my car's dashboard (the same night the other woman dumped me) and later keyed my car because I refused to drive her home while I was inebriated. After she passed out I ended giving a cabbie 50 bucks and told him to go as far away from my place as that money would allow. Another incident ended with me being the only casualty in a bar fight between a cousin of mine, some other guy and that gentleman's girlfriend. I ended that night with 4 stitches along my hairline. I think its just the whole experiences surrounding them was mired in bad luck. They are fine now. I wear them whenever I particularly need a kick to the groin.

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
uhoh.gif

Your response made me "lol." The funny thing is, yeah I love it and all, but now I want it in a different color, and since this one was such a pain I may have to have it made bespoke. Plus, considering where I found it, it doesn't really fit as well as I'd like. It fits, just not perfect.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best

Kathadins - Extremely comfortable and 100% worry free beaters.
3sixteen indigos - Tight, straight, cuffed, lap creases. The jean that took a dozen pairs of jeans of various qualities to discover. Perfect for me.
ToJ0 sample sale varsity - Too cold to wear it, but the right size in every measurement.
CvF & Gray Gap Straights - "Formal" denim I can sneak to work in.
Gray Suede DB's & Grenson natural leather ankle high brogues.

Worst

Two pairs of mega sale Slim Jims that I sized like an old pair of coated black Slim Jims. Both were breathlessly tight.
JtG bd - The most bizarrely cut shirt I've ever put on.
Doc Marten monochrome blacks - Small, narrow, uncomfortable, looks like black PVC pipe.
Any trouser I outgrew after putting a single inch on my thighs from squats.

Jury is still out on a nerve wracking purchase of a ToJ Gray Moto. Haven't managed to finalize measurements after 2-3 weeks. I'm not complaining, the guy who makes the stuff is busy, but I have never spent this much money on an article of clothing before. The only thing that gives me the courage to continue is that I feel reasonably sure I can flip it for $400 if need be.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Class54
I had them on when a woman I had just met and was taking home vomited all over my car's dashboard (the same night the other woman dumped me) and later keyed my car because I refused to drive her home while I was inebriated. After she passed out I ended giving a cabbie 50 bucks and told him to go as far away from my place as that money would allow.

sounds like that was your best purchase of the year.

naaaaate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Class54
I was wearing them on the 2 separate occasions when I lost my job and had a woman dump me. I had them on when a woman I had just met and was taking home vomited all over my car's dashboard (the same night the other woman dumped me) and later keyed my car because I refused to drive her home while I was inebriated. After she passed out I ended giving a cabbie 50 bucks and told him to go as far away from my place as that money would allow. Another incident ended with me being the only casualty in a bar fight between a cousin of mine, some other guy and that gentleman's girlfriend. I ended that night with 4 stitches along my hairline.

see, this never happens with j crew stuff, you don't need to worry about a girl ever being around you in the first place or anyone even noticing you in a bar.

not so fuckin smart now are you jet

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ hahaha

poor guy

Oxnard

Reaction score
Hadn't really thought of it much before now, but this was a pretty good year by and by.

Best:
Robert Geller lambskin cadet jacket from f/w08 off ebay(huuuuge discount)
Robert Geller blue cotton bomber from f/w09 from blackbird(small discount, but its like wearing a sleeping bag)
KMW Dark brown belt, seriously the nicest belt I have ever seen, so very good
Wings &amp; Horns shawl collar box knit cardigan
VisvimxSophnet Kiefer hi-tops, most comfortable sneakers I have ever worn hands down.
Stowa Antea KS
Filson 257 messenger bag, the durability and functionality of this bag has surpassed my expectations.

Worst: Some ****** t-shirts from banana republic, and a crappy $150 suit from Kohl's that I had to buy for a last minute funeral.

naaaaate

Reaction score
here's a tip for when you got a hilarious gimmick account idea and you wanna try it out: it's not and don't
smile.gif

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raginberriodoom
What did you not like about the EG Bedford?

Oh, I actually like the Bedford very much, it's just not for me. I'm not sure why, but EG doesn't fit me well, and the Bedford looked especially ill-fitting and boxy on me. I never wore it. It looks great on other people though.

That said, I love the WWM Upland jacket and have two of them. Seems like WWM has a slimmer and straighter cut - at least in these two comparable items.

Babar

Reaction score
Best: Yoox had an error this past fall where lots of the F/W items were about 60% cheaper than normal for Norway, so I've picked up a somewhat ridiculous amount of stuff since the summer.. I especially love the perforated Neil Barrett chuckalikes, Prada wool peacoat &amp; Balenciaga black jeans, and a dove grey Jil Sander belt has gotten lots of wear too.
Worst: There's been some &quot;unneccessary&quot; buys, but the dud of the lot was a Jil Sander stretch t-shirt that always looked Simon Cowell-tight. Uggh

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
best: penfeild 60/40 parka that is by far my favorite purchase. didnt cost much, fits, looks proper.
worst: 3 pairs of jeans off b/s that didnt fit and left me denim-less.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by naaaaate
here's a tip for when you got a hilarious gimmick account idea and you wanna try it out:

it's not and don't
smile.gif

dayawm!

Originally Posted by eglbc
worst: 3 pairs of jeans off b/s that didnt fit and left me denim-less.

Yeah. if I listed all my denim ****-ups this year...

Gotta say though, I did pretty well on my H&M and Uniqlo scores. What I thought were gonna be one-season throwaways are looking like keepers. H&M buttondowns are doing me right. Scarves rule too.

My #1 though has to be the Buzz Ricksons Gibson N1 deck jacket in black with brown alpaca. Still breaking it in but this thing has soul.

Class54

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
sounds like that was your best purchase of the year.

Definitely in the top 5
cool.gif

Originally Posted by naaaaate
see, this never happens with j crew stuff, you don't need to worry about a girl ever being around you in the first place or anyone even noticing you in a bar.

not so fuckin smart now are you jet

I irony was that everywhere I went everyone loved those shoes, asking me who they were and where I got them, which was not my intention when I bought them. I just thought they looked cool. After all the work my cobbler put into them they finally fit like a dream. I still kinda like them but I swear if anything else happens while wearing them they will be over in B&S (size 10).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads