• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Brand Loyalty Impossible When Building a Wardrobe?

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
I don't understand why any gentleman would think "brand loyalty" is even something worth considering.

If it is because you really like the style, that's one thing. You can choose a brand because you like what they offer and therefore shop mostly from them. But why would anyone need to be loyal to some company? That's absurd. Loyalty is for God, king, and country (and baseball).
There is value in loyalty for people who treat fashion as a full-time hobby/interest

Brands will wine and dine you, fly you out and cover hotel costs, and send you gifts that have actual value, and the barrier for that is a lot lower than you'd think

Think Cuccinelli inviting you and your SO to Solomeo, having a sweater waiting for you at the hotel the night before you get a factory tour

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is, but at the same time, with brands like supreme, gucci, louis vitton, they have, and have marketed to a base I wouldn't describe as "bourgeois". You've heard all that talk about how luxury fashion is often worn and flaunted by lower-middle-class people trying to look rich, right?

But thanks. I mean, I wouldn't want people to know what brand half of my clothing is, but not quite so much out of modesty. Lots of less-than-regarded-for-their-quality brands in there, and some pieces, well, some of them are from AliExpress.
But just to cover my cheapskate ass I will say it's all about taste and how you style it. I do aspire to the aesthetic of higher-end clothing but not so much its price tag, and I will gladly take some backroads and cut-corners to get there quicker. If it all combines well and fits right, you at least won't be without nice-looking stuff to wear, much of it won't even be half-bad anyways, and when you eventually do get nicer, better-quality stuff, they might still have their place.
As much as one might want to min-max their cost-per-wear a lot of pieces, especially seasonal pieces and ones that have a very specific look that doesn't go with everything, aren't going to see a whole lot of use so if a cheaper alternative that looks nearly as good, even just at a glance, is available, it might actually be a lower cost-per-wear option.

There's no shame in not having the funds or finding the right fit in the best stuff. In time, as you say, you may get it.

As for bourgeois: that's exactly why I call it that. Middle class consumerism isn't aristocratic, and especially now that such fashion is even proletarian, it just isn't my thing.

Now that sounds super classiest, but well, okay it is. But also, it's just tacky. Nothing screams "Look at me, I think I'm fancy!" Then splattering your brand over anything. Especially Italian and French fashion garbage.

Tell me you have no taste without telling me you have no taste: wear anything branded Armani Exchange.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is value in loyalty for people who treat fashion as a full-time hobby/interest

Brands will wine and dine you, fly you out and cover hotel costs, and send you gifts that have actual value, and the barrier for that is a lot lower than you'd think

Think Cuccinelli inviting you and your SO to Solomeo, having a sweater waiting for you at the hotel the night before you get a factory tour

That's a thing?

Like what price point are we talking about?

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
That's a thing?

Like what price point are we talking about?
I can speak only from experience with other brands in that segment, CLV +25-30k

and they all offer this, most have dedicated "experience managers" who are solely in charge of these visits, but there are also smaller local events for example Zegna hosted a day at the Mandarin Oriental Lake Como last year for clients who live in the greater area

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can speak only from experience with other brands in that segment, CLV +25-30k

and they all offer this, most have dedicated "experience managers" who are solely in charge of these visits, but there are also smaller local events for example Zegna hosted a day at the Mandarin Oriental Lake Como last year for clients who live in the greater area

That's a pretty good upside, I'll admit.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
That's a pretty good upside, I'll admit.
and you get to meet individuals who aren't in your industry or have the same white-collar Costco membership (Soho House), it's an interesting "third place" that brands are creating

there used to "open" invites to fashion week shows, but that's become a lot rarer post rona, I've not been offered this and haven't heard about it from friends either, my guess would be that brands now reserve this for higher CLV clients/bigger influencers

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and you get to meet individuals who aren't in your industry or have the same white-collar Costco membership (Soho House), it's an interesting "third place" that brands are creating

there used to "open" invites to fashion week shows, but that's become a lot rarer post rona, I've not been offered this and haven't heard about it from friends either, my guess would be that brands now reserve this for higher CLV clients/bigger influencers

Well, I will 100% concede: this seems like one upside to being a particularly fan of a brand.

Gsu507

Reaction score
To answer your question, it is not impossible to remain loyal to a brand when building a wardrobe but there are some that make it difficult. There are brands that have it all (exp Old Navy) and some that are very specifically casual or formal. As someone mentioned here, if you know the fit and size you could also go on the used market and get some bargains. The only “perk” I could think of is the brand blowing up and loyal customers getting limited pieces but that’s rare.

Anachronist

Reaction score
I‘m kind of tempted to take another angle to the question. No doubt brand loyalty combines trust in a proven fit (but this one doesn’t hold true for all brands as many adjust their sizing and fit over time) and liking for their quality, but ultimately I believe it is also a sign of liking for a particular „house style“. I would bet most of us at some point in our journey of enjoying clothes probably loved the one or other brand at some point in time (which I would consider a sort of brand loyalty) and I think that it is part of the process of developing an own style that you first adopt looks defined by others (such as a brand… I admit for example that I still draw inspiration from RL‘s Ivy League looks). Over time, however, when your taste and definition of what is „you“ when choosing clothes (i.e. your very personal style) matures and if becomes more versatile and flexible rather than narrow with the ability to play with various styles, you don’t have to rely that often anymore on given looks by a specific fashion house. You then move to buying whatever tickles your liking to build more individual outfits that express you, your mood or personality better.

That‘s the moment you’re sartorially free.

Hope that didn’t come across as to esoteric, but at least that is how I experienced it through phases of fandom ranging from Burberry in younger years over Regent suits (an unfortunately long gone German MTM maker of handmade suits that would pale even Kiton in their perfection) to first Crocket & Jones, later Edward Green shoes to Ralph Lauren and several other brands at the point in time or other. Today, I buy more selectively what I like or speaks to me at the moment. The brand is totally secondary to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads