• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

-You'll always find me in Athleisure-

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest barriers for working out for me is having to change a third time after work. If I could just hit the gym and head home after and still look cool after, I’d prolly hit the gym more often.

Who are some good i n f l u e n c e r s so I can steal their steez?

Key to regular gym attendance is morning workouts. Night before, pack work clothes/toiletries and lay out gym gear/sweats etc. Get up early, make a cup of coffee and workout. It sucks at first but I've found that it actually gives me energy for the whole day. Can't workout in the evenings, have tried in the past and there's always something that comes up.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My beef with techwear and aithlesure stuff.
  • I can only wear it for so long. Some reason after a bit I find most fabric to be itchy. So I'll wear it for a bit, be comfy, but usually go back to my 100% cotton jeans and a 100% cotton shirt.
  • Most tech fabric I've found has never draped right.
I have a pretty limited exposure to it though, mostly Lululemon, Outlier, and some others... Maybe I'd like brands that uses more natural fabric like Wings + Horns, but my personal style is going to a more relaxed look and my build doesn't look good in anything that slim from W+H.

I own / wear a lot of lululemon, but rigt now I'm wearing Japanese denim and a Gitman Vintage shirt, so hasn't replaced my other clothes as much as I'd like it to..

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Rais I think you'll probably have been asked this before on SF, but what are your brand recs for techwear/the types of clothes you wear at a price point below the likes of Veilance, Acronym etc? Got a friend who is getting into your kind of style, wanting causal but a bit of utility as well, but he's struggling to find more accessible brands and is just languishing in ASOS' cargo trousers section

papillo

Reaction score
Key to regular gym attendance is morning workouts. Night before, pack work clothes/toiletries and lay out gym gear/sweats etc. Get up early, make a cup of coffee and workout. It sucks at first but I've found that it actually gives me energy for the whole day. Can't workout in the evenings, have tried in the past and there's always something that comes up.

Same for me except I work out at lunch time to break my day up in two and get refreshed for the second half of the day. It also gets me out of the office. I cant do the early morning as I like sleep a bit too much and the evenings i just too congested to fit it in.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I used to workout at lunch at my old job and I felt great, I didn't get the afternoon energy crash and it helped me eat healthy (not snack).

Then my manager changed and the new one was a total dick and basically implied he would fire me if I kept doing it even though I was only gone an hour for work out and shower and I was also working 10 hour days. The guy was really an asshole, he was like that with everyone on the team except for a couple women who had kids. Glad I left.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah I used to workout at lunch at my old job and I felt great, I didn't get the afternoon energy crash and it helped me eat healthy (not snack).

Then my manager changed and the new one was a total dick and basically implied he would fire me if I kept doing it even though I was only gone an hour for work out and shower and I was also working 10 hour days. The guy was really an asshole, he was like that with everyone on the team except for a couple women who had kids. Glad I left.

Wait wut?

So why even tell him where you are going during lunch?

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Rais I think you'll probably have been asked this before on SF, but what are your brand recs for techwear/the types of clothes you wear at a price point below the likes of Veilance, Acronym etc? Got a friend who is getting into your kind of style, wanting causal but a bit of utility as well, but he's struggling to find more accessible brands and is just languishing in ASOS' cargo trousers section

One of my most worn pair of pants that I've had over 5 years are Cotton On's urban jogger. Hard wearing, breathable, comfortable, plenty of stretch, gusseted, and lots of pockets. The new model is just as good as the original, just a few details are changed. I've also been wearing Nike SB Flex Icon chinos lately, again these are a gusseted, lightweight pant you can work out in that are reasonably casual. You can get both for $40USD or less online. Muji's resin shells are pretty good for $USD70, they have 4 colours, are light, water proof (for about 2 years until the resin coating wears off the nylon), have 2 way zips and good cord adjustment for the hood. I like Condor's Fail Safe Elite for a waterproof backpack, and for shoe's Under Armour's Verge Mid GTX or the cheaper Speedfit Hike are both pretty cheap and their quality is far beyond Nike at this point. For t-shirts I just like fitted cotton tees or sleeveless tees, I've had a few pricey tech shirt made of poly mesh but I still like cotton better.

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s exactly it for me. 530 am wake up. Coffee and workout all weekdays. Started with 2 days, then 3, then daily became a routine. I like that I don’t have to think about it.

Working out after work is more stressful for me and something always “crops up”.

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Peter1 @penanceroyaltea My ideal time in the past has been straight after work, but where I live now the gym I use is way too busy at that time. Have been tending to go later in the evening, maybe 8:30pm or 9pm, but as you say things come up and at that time takes a fair amount of willpower if I’m the middle of watching something/basically just relaxing.

The times when I’ve been to the gym in the morning (maybe like 10am ish on days off from work) I’ve felt kinda lightheaded when doing weights. Is that something that goes with the routine, or do you have any dietary suggestions?

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Humans perform better in the early evening. True story.

Consistent training time is also important for performance tho.

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I workout mostly fasted or with a light breakfast. Not much problem with performance. I alternate with coffee or pre workout (more coffee).

I guess working out a couple of hours after a meal will definitely have more energy but for me it’s really about getting it done. 5-6 workouts at 90% performance is better than 2-3 at 100 and stressing out about making it

papillo

Reaction score
@Peter1 @penanceroyaltea My ideal time in the past has been straight after work, but where I live now the gym I use is way too busy at that time. Have been tending to go later in the evening, maybe 8:30pm or 9pm, but as you say things come up and at that time takes a fair amount of willpower if I’m the middle of watching something/basically just relaxing.

The times when I’ve been to the gym in the morning (maybe like 10am ish on days off from work) I’ve felt kinda lightheaded when doing weights. Is that something that goes with the routine, or do you have any dietary suggestions?

Are you eating a full breakfast before your am workout? If not, That could be a cause if He lightheadedness.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait wut?

So why even tell him where you are going during lunch?

I didn't, he was the same way with everyone on the team none of whom worked out. The company provided lunch for us and everyone ate at their desk while working after he became manager. People would take lunch outside or in the break/lunch room once or maybe twice a week for 30 minutes at most.

@MaiLam try eating some fruit 30 min to an hour before workout. The fructose should help. I like to eat a cup of berries or an apple.

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you eating a full breakfast before your am workout? If not, That could be a cause if He lightheadedness.

Yeah the times I’ve tried it I’ve had breakfast a couple of hours before, but I dislike going to the gym even that soon after eating. If I had to be up at 5:30 and have breakfast before, just wouldn’t have time before work. Anyway, sorry for derailing into fitness thread lite!

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: not having time to workout at night, I found it good to have a quick routine (non weights) to do when I don't have time or I'm feeling lazy. Mine is:

1) 5 sets of push ups with 60 seconds rest between sets (set enough reps on first set so the other sets are challenging)
2) 5 sets of chin ups with 60 sec rest
3) 5 sets of split leg squats with rear leg elevated on bench with 60 sec rest. 10 reps each leg then rest. Must go down to where your thigh is parallel to the floor at the minimum. You can do pistol squats instead but I feel they're too hard on the knees.
4) 5 sets of single leg calf raises. 10 sets each leg then rest 60 sec
5) neck workout

This has been really good for keeping my strength up for extended periods of time when I wasn't able to lift. I generally split it up over 2 days when busy too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics