• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^thanks!

Ivwri, the ss12 jacket really works well with so many silhouettes, great piece. Really like the full cut pants here.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, really happy I picked it up. Decided to use this trip to give it a proper working out and it is proving to have been a good idea.

This whole page is making me pretty happy too, hehe. Also nice to see different looks all coming from the same base of white shirts and black jackets and pants. Sneakers, boots and shoes are all represented too.

Last edited:

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wore something similar to the chore jacket fit yesterday - before seeing yours. French chore jacket, rolled up black trousers, grey gingham shirt with what could practically be called a double mandarin collar ( :embar: ) and white dirty sneakers. Also carried a red, white and black rucksack. The trousers have an adjustable waist, double pleats, quite a lot of room in the seat and thighs, and a nice taper. Used to be part of a tuxedo, actually, but they're not after being washed, "de-creased" and having the band on the side removed. Not as much volume as an actual Yohji fit, but It was my first time wearing something like this in public. This awesome thread is (at least partially) to blame. :satisfied:
It somehow seems like everyone lets their hate out in other threads and saves their love for this one. I'm pretty sure I've never seen another SF thread with so little negativity. These 1440 posts have been a joy to read. Thanks everyone, especially Ivwri and asobu.

Guess this got caught in the post purgatory as well. Glad you are enjoying the thread (1440 + posts wow!). It is actually pretty cool that we all seem to get along on here all that's missing is some good food and alcohol to complete the picture, hehe.

And now, for a non sequitur -

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

dantebykiko

Reaction score
something that i read today on the train back home. while reading it, i was thinking about yohji's garments and how most of the people who wear them are not static. the wearer can feel the movement of the clothes at the same time as people shrouding him.

Tinguely’s philosophy was expressed in a manifesto entitled “For Statics,” which was printed onto 150,000 fliers that were released from an airplane over Düsseldorf, Germany before an exhibition:
"Everything moves continuously. Immobility does not exist. Don’t be subject to the influence of out-of-date concepts. Forget hours, seconds, and minutes. Accept instability. Live in time. Be static—with movement. For a static of the present moment. Resist the anxious wish to fix the instantaneous, to kill that which is living. Stop insisting on “value” which cannot but break down. Be free, live. Stop painting time. Stop evoking movement and gesture. You are movement and gesture. Stop building cathedrals and pyramids which are doomed to fall into ruin. Live in the present; live once more in Time and by Time—for a wonderful and absolute reality."

small selection of obvious and not so obvious examples.

also two clips from bela tarr

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks Dante. Cool images there. One of my favorite things about wearing the few Yohji things I have is how the fabrics hang... whether moving or just standing around. I especially like how the pants are cut a little bowlegged (?) so even on a slimmer pair you get a bit of that fabric drape that waves around when you walk. I've also liked playing with different silhouettes (narrow top / wide below, wide all around, etc). Most of my other stuff is closely tailored and more traditional which has it's place, but the comfort aspect and drama of having lots of extra material and more unique shapes has been really enjoyable. I second the thanks to Ivwri and Asobu and others who've contributed to this thread and kept it convivial. I find myself going back through to check out photos and links that I've missed the first time. A great resource. Here's another light-hearted video side note. Fashion tv coverage of YYPH SS2003 show. It's kind of funny in that the commentators kinda get, but don't really get Yohji's POV.
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

dantebykiko

Reaction score
Thanks Dante. Cool images there. One of my favorite things about wearing the few Yohji things I have is how the fabrics hang... whether moving or just standing around. I especially like how the pants are cut a little bowlegged (?) so even on a slimmer pair you get a bit of that fabric drape that waves around when you walk. I've also liked playing with different silhouettes (narrow top / wide below, wide all around, etc). Most of my other stuff is closely tailored and more traditional which has it's place, but the comfort aspect and drama of having lots of extra material and more unique shapes has been really enjoyable.
I second the thanks to Ivwri and Asobu and others who've contributed to this thread and kept it convivial. I find myself going back through to check out photos and links that I've missed the first time. A great resource.
Here's another light-hearted video side note. Fashion tv coverage of YYPH SS2003 show. It's kind of funny in that the commentators kinda get, but don't really get Yohji's POV.
my ears are bleeding! it's funny because one of those long jackets are for sale on ebay. great price too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/yohji-yamam...C_Outerwear&hash=item257200b7c7#ht_500wt_1197

davidlee388

Reaction score
A quick photo: YYPH suit, Y's shirt, docs.

Proper Yohji fit :)
nod[1].gif

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that video is hilarious:

"the white shoes are going to be a fashion... [trails off when he has no idea what to say]"

"it's different than the traditional Italian suit. Yohji's suits are more fashion-forward...um...."

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that video is hilarious:
"the white shoes are going to be a fashion... [trails off when he has no idea what to say]"
"it's different than the traditional Italian suit. Yohji's suits are more fashion-forward...um...."

I was cringing the whole way through. Lol. Makes some of those fashion blog posts that people are always ragging on seem outright poetic by comparison. It was like they knew Yohji was supposed to be this great designer and needed to "get" the collection so they wouldn't be out of the loop. Great to see the clothing in motion though :D.

That coat on eBay is looking mighty tempting now...

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely wanted that coat more after seeing it in motion. The cut is beautiful. Don't need it and probably wouldn't wear it a lot, so I'll pass, but someone should grab it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics