• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

stadsvandringar

Reaction score
The aw07 "anime" sweaters do pop up from time to time. This one just recently ended on yahoo japan: http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b131508610 (I was not the winner, although it looks like Hide-san was involved). I've managed to snag two myself... Now the anime coats I have never seen outside of the original collection at barney's. I would love to get a hold of one of those.

wireartists

Reaction score

That sweater is pretty cool. Excellent colours.
I avoid Yahoo Japan like the plague now cos there generally tends to be too much temptation on there :D

that pink one was mine, too bad my skin tone + that shade of pink + hairy chest was a crazy combination

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that pink one was mine, too bad my skin tone + that shade of pink + hairy chest was a crazy combination

This I would have liked to see! :lol:

On a completely unrelated note, Just One Eye have their Yohji buy up - I checked earlier and forgot to post on here - and they have two wide hakama pants! The red striped ones and a brown pair in a twill fabric. They also have the blue shirring shirts (biggest is a size 3). Crazy prices rule applies as well - http://justoneeye.com/yohji-yamamoto

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about going for these, but I changed my mind in the end. So someone in size 4 from here should grab 'em (or if you're already in the bidding war, PM me and I will redact this post).

AW04 double layered jeans with drawstring waist and drawstring hem on the inner layer in size 4. They look amazing.

Link

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score
I grew up watching Kamen Rider ( aka Masked Rider, giving away my age here lol ) so it had special childhood memories for me. So to wear a knit by my favourite designer with my favourite childhood TV character on it will be a dream deal. I'm still on a hunt for that AW07 knit on Look 24 :((

stadsvandringar

Reaction score
Also, with the anime sweaters, many of them have a lot of crazy nordic-inspired patternwork. I found them so ridiculous and over the top that they moved beyond the realm of bad taste into good taste. At least that's my take on them. You can't see this from the photos so much since the knits are all under coats and jackets, but it was one of the themes throughout that collection. The anime part itself was really secondary in this case for me, but the knitting is really fantastic. Each of the designs is actually knit into the sweater, rather than printed or sewn on top of the knit. It's that sort of high quality and lack of corner-cutting that I really love about yohji.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me I like the fact that they are kitschy and fun and the fact that a few of them have Kamen rider and Leiji Matsumoto inspired artwork touches my anime & manga loving side
smile.gif

Same here. The artwork on the sweaters looks amazing and the connection with anime makes them even cooler IMO.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
ok turns out the tag says "womens" on the womens pieces and I assume the one that doesnt say it is not a womens piece ...

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
naija boy ! i have been monitoring that same jacket you posted in last fit, i wasn't sure about the little dash of color on the lapel, but it's available to me in size 3 ... and now i want it :)

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dipping my toes in the Yohji waters:

I had this tucked away in my pile of bookmarks months ago. Now, ordinarily, I'd let it fester away in my bookmarks until it finally sold out, at which point, I'd text shah to complain about it. But in a rare moment of consumer foresight, I actually bought it during Yoox's spring promotion last week instead of further lamenting the purchase.

I'm a relative foreigner to the knit world, but even a novice can feel that this is quality stuff. It's mostly shah's fabric enemy (cotton), but it's partly cashmere, which makes for an incredibly soft knit. It's rare I handle a garment where I actually want to go find someone and say, "Hey, feel this." But this is one of those instances.

The pattern is also cool because, as mentioned earlier about those anime knits, the pattern is actually separate fabric that's knitted into the rest of the sweater. The pattern is actually what first caught my attention, since it's subtle while still holding some distinction.

Now I just need to get over the mental barrier of worrying about catching this on something.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ok turns out the tag says "womens" on the womens pieces and I assume the one that doesnt say it is not a womens piece ...

I think any tags that don't have "women's" still refer to the women's collection. All the men's pieces I have seen are all "Pour Homme"

Also, with the anime sweaters, many of them have a lot of crazy nordic-inspired patternwork. I found them so ridiculous and over the top that they moved beyond the realm of bad taste into good taste. At least that's my take on them. You can't see this from the photos so much since the knits are all under coats and jackets, but it was one of the themes throughout that collection. The anime part itself was really secondary in this case for me, but the knitting is really fantastic. Each of the designs is actually knit into the sweater, rather than printed or sewn on top of the knit. It's that sort of high quality and lack of corner-cutting that I really love about yohji.

Wow, that sounds pretty interesting. Would you mind doing a quick picture of the nordic patternwork? Would really like to see that.

naija boy ! i have been monitoring that same jacket you posted in last fit, i wasn't sure about the little dash of color on the lapel, but it's available to me in size 3 ... and now i want it :)

You should do it. I also hesitated for the longest time on it, but it is indeed a really nice jacket and the linen is very nice and light too.

Dipping my toes in the Yohji waters:
I had this tucked away in my pile of bookmarks months ago. Now, ordinarily, I'd let it fester away in my bookmarks until it finally sold out, at which point, I'd text shah to complain about it. But in a rare moment of consumer foresight, I actually bought it during Yoox's spring promotion last week instead of further lamenting the purchase.
I'm a relative foreigner to the knit world, but even a novice can feel that this is quality stuff. It's mostly shah's fabric enemy (cotton), but it's partly cashmere, which makes for an incredibly soft knit. It's rare I handle a garment where I actually want to go find someone and say, "Hey, feel this." But this is one of those instances.
The pattern is also cool because, as mentioned earlier about those anime knits, the pattern is actually separate fabric that's knitted into the rest of the sweater. The pattern is actually what first caught my attention, since it's subtle while still holding some distinction.
Now I just need to get over the mental barrier of worrying about catching this on something.

Nice purchase APK. And yeah, all of Yohji's knits that I have handled are truly excellent. It's probably getting boring to hear me say this, but if I was in a temperate region, I would have way too many of his knits by now. And yeah, I agree with Parker. Any holes might even add some more character to it :slayer:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads