• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

blackakira

Reaction score
thank you, to parker and syed. im on my phone now but when i have laptop access i'll certainly check out that ozwald video.

Arche

Reaction score
I have a Yohji related question. I'm trying to bid on a YYPH piece on Yahoo, but my usual proxy in not available. Has anyone had any dealings with the Japanese proxy Sharpservice in the past week? Usually they are open 7 days a week, and generally respond quite promptly, but since Sunday I've been unable to get any reply out of them. Usually they are very good, but I don't want to miss the auction, so I'm wondering if anyone can suggest another reliable proxy service.

thatoneguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a Yohji related question. I'm trying to bid on a YYPH piece on Yahoo, but my usual proxy in not available. Has anyone had any dealings with the Japanese proxy Sharpservice in the past week? Usually they are open 7 days a week, and generally respond quite promptly, but since Sunday I've been unable to get any reply out of them. Usually they are very good, but I don't want to miss the auction, so I'm wondering if anyone can suggest another reliable proxy service.

I've used sutocorp in the past, they were really fast every time I've dealt with them. Also, if you have an account os SZ you can get the proxy fee down to 6%, look here: http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12324 (post #4)

davidlee388

Reaction score

Fabric + Details

YYPH AW02 Look 24 Double Lapel Blazer - ( HM-J46-113 ) - Size 2, 60/40 wool/rayon smooth and thick blend. Very oversized long silhouette, fully lined in cupro, buttonless sleeves with stitch details 3" above cuffs ( a folding indicator ). Bespoke chunky spinning top buttons, 3B closure, notch lapels. Intricate joint double lapels giving that extra oomph. Tremendous construction.

YYPH AW09 Coke Can Knit - ( HZ-K57-961 ) 100% light weight wool, non-Runway piece. Part of the " Don't Let It Out " series. Size 3, very wide neckline. Black with Coke Can Splash at front. Usual delightful twist in the navy back panel. Great layering piece.

Y's for men AW08 Drawstring Pants ( ME-P52-074 ) 100% interlocked cotton, weighty fabric, great oversized ( 40" waist ) sz 2 fit. One of my favorite pants, very versatile.

YY x Adidas AW08 Leather/Fabric YY G8 Zip Boots ( HE-E02-721 ) - size 2.

Basic SS Tee

In motion

Last edited:

eloq

Reaction score
been lurking here for some time. decided to post a pic of what i wore a couple days ago.
muji tee and tencel hakamas and cdg shoes
lightweight, comfortable.
representing skinny dudes here :slayer:

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some great conversation on here recently, been a bit busy so haven't had time to contribute unfortunately.

The Armani connection is interesting and I am trying to remember whether Yohji lists Armani among his influences or whether he kind of developed parallel to him. That look Parker posted above is great and I would definitely like to see more of that period of Armani. Speaking of older male fashion designers, yesterday a friend of my mum saw me and said that I reminded her of Karl Lagerfeld and asked me whether I was wearing his clothing :lol:. I had to explain to her that she was probably remembering him from when he was a bit chubbier and wore quite a bit of Yohji (all the black I had on probably helped with that impression as well). I have found that not only is Yohji's clothing a great talking piece here in Nigeria, one really gets seen as working in the creative fields even if I am just wearing a black t-shirt a fairly "unremarkable" black blazer and loose pants. It still catches the eye and looks deliberate enough that people immediately seem to push one into the creative fields. I have also been asked whether I practiced Judaism or was dressing up as Jesus by two separate people. Completely threw me for a loop and I still cannot figure out what they were talking about.

Welcome to the thread to the new posters on here and like the length of that blazer David. Must really look cool swishing about behind you :slayer:

syed

Reaction score

I have also been asked whether I practiced Judaism or was dressing up as Jesus by two separate people. Completely threw me for a loop and I still cannot figure out what they were talking about.

I suppose a simple Yohji uniform with white shirt and long black coat could possibly make one look like a Hasid?

Roman Vishniac's photography of Jews in the 1930's is beautiful, and at risk of trivialising, rather lovely clothing wise.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it must definitely be that. I didn't have a hat on though, but I guess the fact I am growing a beard and have my hair pretty nappy at this point must have really made me look like a Hasidic Jew. I still don't see the Jesus connection though lol. I did like the association though as I have always associated religious looks with contemplation and calm. Also realy like Russian Orthodox priests and monks as well.

I just recently received a copy of August Sander: Menschen Des 20. Jahrhunderts and looking at the pictures in there really evoke a specific feel that is really gone from modern times (and modern photos). I wonder whether that is more a function of the photography or the clothing or some combination of the two, but it is awesome seeing "Young Farmer" and seeing a young guy in a full suit made from very hard wearing fabric with an air of confidence about him. A young farmer nowadays would be in jeans a shirt or tshirt and that's it. The clothing and of course the lack of colour really give off a mood that Yohji totally captures with a lot of his clothing for sure. I wonder whether it is anachronistic to want to have more of that mood back or whether one should just look to the future and focus on the faster, more hyperactive lifestyle that seems to be thrust upon us. Rick and Boris Bidjan Saberi and so on. Edgy, aggressive and almost extroverted rather than the bucolic and contemplative shown in photos like August Sander's and the ones you just posted now. Of course there is room for both kinds of people, but I wonder whether one should embrace the spirit of the times instead of being like Yohji, turning ones back to the future while being carried forward.

Not sure whether I am expressing myself properly, but yeah...

davidlee388

Reaction score
When we are discussing Armani, we ought to be specific about which line in particular. I used to follow Armani as a young university undergraduate in the eighties, saving up from living expenses studying abroad to buy his clothes in the sale. The western fashion in the 80s was typified by huge structured shoulders, outrageous shoulder pads, big armholes leading to a fitted waist silhouette. Anyone ( without a belly lol ) can look like a fashion designer stick sketch drawing. Gianni Versace, Claude Montana, Kenzo, JPG, and of course Giorgio Armani spring to mind. However GA was more conversative in that approach, Yohji in that era offered oversized shoulders but with dropped shoulder pads, plus oversized everywhere of course.

GA in the 80s then offered Giorgio Armani ( the " Black " couture label ), Giorgio Armani ( the " White " diffusion line ) , Emporio Armani, Mani ( women specific ) and Armani Jeans, I think the white label has now been named Armani Collezioni. Anyway the " Armani " I used to buy ( or could afford ) were GA white label and EA which had a more relaxed cut ( but still sharp ). The Giorgio Armani couture line was/is totally different, very structured, precise silhouette, stupendous fabrics and construction with stratospheric prices to match ( much dearer than Yohji ). The clothes appear to be moulded for a classic masculine Italian Runway model. I went to the Armani Oulet ( past season's BNWT ) in Hong Kong whilst buying Yohji in Joyce Warehouse within the same building. Tried on a few blazers including a superb navy rayon blend piece. Sz 46 fitted me on the sleeves but too tight in chest, 48 fitted chest wise but way long in sleeves. In both cases the waist didn't sit right, making me assume it's tailored for someone at least 5 cm taller. Eventually I gave up.....lesson:- no matter how rich you are, if you are fat, or short with good physique, forget GA. Go Yohji, much more flattering/versatile for the everyday man.

Armani Collezioni and EA provide a more relaxed fit and therefore more playful. I'm sure Collezioni has been available as a made-to-measure option for a while so you can deliberately factor in an oversized fit if you wish.

Last edited:

syed

Reaction score

I just recently received a copy of August Sander: Menschen Des 20. Jahrhunderts and looking at the pictures in there really evoke a specific feel that is really gone from modern times (and modern photos). I wonder whether that is more a function of the photography or the clothing or some combination of the two, but it is awesome seeing "Young Farmer" and seeing a young guy in a full suit made from very hard wearing fabric with an air of confidence about him. A young farmer nowadays would be in jeans a shirt or tshirt and that's it. The clothing and of course the lack of colour really give off a mood that Yohji totally captures with a lot of his clothing for sure. I wonder whether it is anachronistic to want to have more of that mood back or whether one should just look to the future and focus on the faster, more hyperactive lifestyle that seems to be thrust upon us. Rick and Boris Bidjan Saberi and so on. Edgy, aggressive and almost extroverted rather than the bucolic and contemplative shown in photos like August Sander's and the ones you just posted now. Of course there is room for both kinds of people, but I wonder whether one should embrace the spirit of the times instead of being like Yohji, turning ones back to the future while being carried forward.
Not sure whether I am expressing myself properly, but yeah...

All fashion necessarily looks back, if only because 'original' ideas are arguably impossible. New forms of expression? Sure. New tools of expression? Sure. New translations of expression? Sure. But not exactly entirely new ideas. That is not to say that fashion can never bring something new to the table, indeed anything but (and I fully support and am excited by innovation and new ways of looking/approaching an idea), however fashion's relationship with the past is by nature paradoxical. Fashion needs to be of the moment (although I always say it needs to be "of the moment just after now"), and so it must necessarily be different from what went just before. However once enough time passes, everything is fair game, and so we have this cultural/temporal chaos where designers pluck ideas and motifs out of the past to create something new each season i.e. your average designer who creates a new story and new look every season.

However this is not the approach that Yohji posits, or indeed the two designers you mentioned - Rick and Boris. With Yohji we all know that every season is a continuation, a meditation within his own lexicon and stylistic language. It looks to the past in order to move forward, and he does so comfortably. Rick is similar in that he says he has within hm every collection he will ever do, he just needs to realize it. He talks of telling the same story every season but from a different angle, and I really like that idea. As such I think both designers share an affinity in this respect, in that they do not necessarily operate within fashion's need for something radically new, but rather go at their own pace.

I believe the difference between the two is a matter of continuation vs. appropriation. I think Yohji views his work as a continuation from history - it looks to the past for inspiration, but it is still determinedly appropriate for everyday contemporary life (just look at the jackets that have pockets for you phone, your smokes, your passport, a boarding pass, etc.). The way his work, and the work of Westwood, differ from a designer such as Galliano, who also looked to the past, is that they both treat their role as a continuation of older ideas. Yohji may explore older designs and look at vintage wear, but he subverts and reconfigures it to push it beyond a simple journey of nostalgia. It looks to the past, but it is most definitely also looking forward - looking at ideas from his perspective and discovering how much they are still needed today. Much in the same way Westwood is obsessive in her referencing of history and how garments were made, recreating pieces of armour piece by piece but in different materials and meshing it with historical references from other times. The individual elements are firmly routed in the past, but her fusing of the ideas and using them to create something that seems more like an evolution of an idea rather than a simple reimagining, is in my view more a continuation of the past, rather than a break from it.

We then have someone like Rick, who designs very much for the modern world and the future, but who also looks back in order to create that future. He references everything from ancient Sumeria, with men in flowing robes, to Fred Astaire and the 1930s, with the high waisted suiting of Mountain (AW12). As much as he looks back however, his design is based upon a modern world and conscious futurism. His ideas are not so much a continuation of these older references, but a new imagining, an appropriation, a lens through which to create rather than a foundation upon which to build upon. I think his view of time and history is apparent in his very garments - they age quickly, they snag, they have holes, it is about rapid ageing. Compare this to the slow patina and more organic ageing of Yohji's fabrics and garments, and we see one as a rush, and one as a slow walk. I think that difference between the two is quite telling in their view/treatment of time.

As much as Rick appears to be looking forward, I think his basic structure and design philosophy is actually quite compatible in a way when compared to Yohji. Comfort, everyday uniforms, solid basics. Of course he is by nature someone who also likes to provoke (much like Yohji really), however he tends to do so in an ostensibly far more aggressive/eye-catching manner. As much as his garments age and become beautiful ruins, the ease of his uniform and how easy it is to wear everyday in my mind belies the idea of it being suited to a hectic, fast pace lifestyle. Of course it can work perfectly for that, but it does not necessarily have to be. It can be far more reserved, as Yohji can be. I suppose with both designers it really depends on styling and choice of individual piece.

blackakira

Reaction score
The quality of opinions on this thread is so good that i confess to screenshot certain posts. Sometimes, I feel a void when I feel something yet have nowhere near the ability needed to put it into permanence as words but I can only be happy when another is able to fill that void of mine. Syed just did that in the above but also, was able to expose me to more knowledge. Thank you sir,

Ivwri, I hope I can check off on my list 'Have somebody attribute me to something religious'. Alright, jokes..I don't have such a list. But I feel love for the parallel one can find between religious or traditional garb and yohji or even rick owens. These clothes are devoid of wanting to portray lust, desire- which i find prevalent in the fashion of now- and are more concerned in utility, with placing its wearing in a place of contentment, romance and modesty. Maybe it is weird that I speak of pieces of cloths to 'want' but I do believe that clothes have soul because they have been formed and touched by a soul. Adding to that, being I am a practicing muslim, those traits(of utility, modesty etc) in yohji's clothes allowed me to embrace it wholeheartedly. I would go on, but my train of thought is getting so muddled that I am confusing myself.

Last edited:

vlad-s

Reaction score
Hey, all. Not Yohji, but in my journeys I came across some footwear I quite liked and thought might possibly flow well with some of the Yohji spirit. Sadly (maybe fortunately) not my size.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRICKERS-ST...54217?pt=Uomo_Scarpe&var=&hash=item35c0bb1aa9
I actually own a pair with this upper pattern, but with a sleeker last and sole. This is the first that I've seen the Tricker's strap jodhpur pattern on one of the country lasts, and I quite like it. The details are a little spase compared to pre-destroyed designer footwear and the buckle is probably a little meh, but I'd love to see them after a little use.

Also, please take my endorsement with a grain of salt, as I am certainly among the least experienced here.

Cheers

Guy Burgess

Reaction score

Hey Guy, when can we see your AW09 Y's coat? :happy:

not my coat but I bought some trousers this week. 100% linen as i'm going to boil in summer. I am really not used to heat and it's starting to get warm here. Got the size 3 as they have a drawstring waist, which suits me perfectly. Code is HB-P23-308-1.

8102180184_78e7675c10_z.jpg

8102169103_b7722490e1_z.jpg

Also tried on the silk jacket from last season in a 3 and it's so great but I'd need a 2. Plus, I'm not sure how much i'd actually wear it, ha. EM has a lot of 3s. I tried the napoleon jacket in a 2 again and i'd probably go as far as saying it was a bit tight for what I'd want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads