1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ivwri, Dec 29, 2011.

1. the shah

the shah Senior member

just looking at all this stuff .....

:drool:

[​IMG]
    A/W 01-02

[​IMG]
    A/W '83/'84

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. the shah

the shah Senior member

Old Yohji French ads from the 1990's

[​IMG]
    credit goes to eBay user paris-le-chat

From WWD magazine

the colors here :inlove:

[​IMG]
    A/W 01-02

[​IMG]
    A/W '83/'84

3. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

These pictures are fantastic.

Unrelated note, been studying for like 10 hrs today. Can't wait till I can afford to kop from a flagship store, helps to motivate

4. the shah

the shah Senior member

Photography by Max Vadukul ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto Autumn/Winter 1984/85.

[​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto Spring/Summer 1985.

Photography by Paolo Roversi ...

[​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto Autumn/Winter 1996/97.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto Spring/Summer 1997.

Photography by Alfredo Albertone ...

[​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto Autumn/Winter 1993/94.

[​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto Autumn/Winter 1995/96.

[​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto Autumn/Winter 1997/98.

Photography by Jean-François Deroubaix ...

[​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto Autumn/Winter 1985/86.

Photography by Eddy Kohil ...

[​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto Spring/Summer 1985.

[​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto Autumn/Winter 1985/86.

[​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto Autumn/Winter 1986/87.
    Photography by Nick Knight.

[​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto Autumn/Winter 1995/96.
    Photography by David Sims.

Photography by Yukata Yamamoto ...

[​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto Spring/Summer 1993.

[​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto.

[​IMG]

Yohji Yamamoto.
    Photography by Jeremy Stigler.

2 people like this.
  5. the shah

the shah Senior member

more scans

[​IMG]
    Spring/Summer 2005, backstage, by Donata Wenders

[​IMG]
    Spring/Summer 2005, Pleated red silk dress, in honour of Madame Grès

[​IMG]
    Spring/Summer 2005, Black pleated silk dress, and Fall/Winter 1997, Harlequin coat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Spring/Summer 1998, Tuxedo-dress in black silk with train

[​IMG]
    Spring/Summer 1999, Wedding dress in mother of pearl coloured silk and hoop skirt

[​IMG]
    Fall/Winter 1999 and Spring/Summer 2005, shirts in white poplin

[​IMG]
    Fall/Winter 1995, Long evening dress in black silk

[​IMG]
    Fall/Winter 1998, Wedding dress with crinoline in bamboo and petticoats in wool jersey

[​IMG]
    Guinevere Van Seenus by Paolo Roversi

Thanks syed !!!

6. the shah

the shah Senior member

Y's suit arrived a bit slim in the quads and chest maybe time to stop lifting again :plain:
    But it 's so amazing, the wool gabardine fabric is lovely and the stitching detail so delicate, there are at least 4 ways of wearing this thing ...

7. davidlee388

davidlee388 Senior member

So it " fits " then? Or it's now more SS than AW, I.e. no layering option?

As they say, " A picture says a thousand words " :embar:

Edit:- YY Inc may be knocking on your door soon seeking royalties for using their Y's SS09 (?) Lookbook as profile pic.....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  8. the shah

the shah Senior member

i can still layer, it fits. just slim, which is somewhat of a new feeling again. i guess not a bad thing, i'll see if there's some room to let out in the top block i assume (hope) a good tailor won't butcher it.

even layering it, i don't think i can wear it too often for now, being -4 C outside !

will take pics of course, soon as i get a chance to

2 people like this.
  9. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

if you ever feel its too slim ;)

but seriously, great to hear it will work out! Lookin forward to the fp and the sweet nature shots that will probably accompany

10. Arche

Arche Senior member

One of my other recent purchases just arrived. It's a simple YYPH suit, elegant without any unusual features. I picked it up figuring that I need a few more day-to-day Yohji pieces, to balance out the wild end of my Yohji wardrobe.The trousers are from S/S 2002 as far as I can tell, but I think the jacket must have been bought at a different time, because the labels are different. The jacket is clearly also S/S because it has what seems like the same relatively light-weight gabardine, and is only half-lined. Oddly, the jacket has no fabric code on the back of the care tag, it's made in France rather than Japan, and the size 4 number is white on black on a little tag under the main tag, rather than on the main tag, as with most of my other pieces. I thought that the fabric code might have been worn off by dry-cleaning, but the jacket seems new to me (the pockets were still sown together). I'm interested in trying to narrow down what season this might come from. Does anyone know whether there was a definite period when Yohji's stuff was made in France rather than Japan, and when the size number was attached to the bottom of the grey tag rather than on it?

11. Auburn

Auburn Senior member

Check the fabric code and compare it with the codes in the first post of this thread.

12. Arche

Arche Senior member

Auburn, Yes, I did check the fabric code on the trousers, which is how I worked out that they must be from S/S 2002 (also because of the light-weight). The issue is that the care tag in the jacket doesn't have the fabric code on the back as is normally the case. Also, while the trousers are made in Japan, the jacket is made in France. So, I'm trying to narrow down what season the jacket might be from on the basis of the fact that it's made in France, as I said above. I thought maybe there was a definite period when Yohji was having stuff manufactured in France.

13. Auburn

Auburn Senior member

Ah, sorry, I missed that. If you put up some pictures I am sure that someone will be able to place it.

14. asobu

asobu Senior member

Arche, I'm fairly sure they have never attached the size tag like that so someone else must have done that. Also I don't think anything has been made in France since the 80s? In which case it doesn't make sense that it's brand new, and it shouldn't have number sizing in that case. Sounds very strange to me. Fake? I've never come across fake YYPH items. What's the fit like? Could you take a picture of the tag?

15. Arche

Arche Senior member

Hmm, after reading your post, I had a closer look at the label and I'm very surprised to say that I think I may have a fake on my hands. I've compared the grey Yohji Yamamoto tag with the ones on some of my other jackets, and I've noticed that the French text seems to be misspelt. This jacket has "INSTRCTIONS" and "ETIQETTE" instead of "INSTRUCTIONS" and "ETIQUETTE." The weird thing is that the trousers sold with the jacket look legitimate. They have the normal care tag etc. The reason I thought the jacket was almost new is the fact that the pockets were still sown together. I've only ever handled one nearly new Yohji jacket. Does any one know if the pockets of Yohji's jackets are ever sown together when new? The only other explanation I can think of is that it is some kind of "mistake" piece, where the tag was printed incorrectly, and maybe the seller somehow got their hands on it, hence the new appearance. I'll be very annoyed if it is a fake. Here are the pictures of the tags in the jacket:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. StevenE

StevenE Senior member

I can't shed much light but I've never come across a YYPH jacket with the pockets still stitched.

17. davidlee388

I have a YYPH Blazer, bought " new " from Yoox that was made in France:-

post #1454

However it's size S ( which is correct for that era when garments could be made in Europe, early 90s with the more aggressive characters like today's logo ) and the size is part of the silver/grey tag on the lower right corner, just like nowadays' tag with numerical sizing. Never seen a number sewn next to a tag like that, ever, as if someone removed a little numerical size tag from inside the garment and put it there.

FYI that blazer I have is very roomy as you can see, excellent fabric, horn buttons.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  18. the shah

the shah Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

almost the suit :p

2 people like this.
  19. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

working on thinning down so i can rock size 2s as a slimmer fit :happy:

20. davidlee388

5"10 height, size 2? Hmmmmm....generally we size up, not down. Can you shorten your arms as well? [​IMG]