• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

www.ehaberdasher.com - affiliate page

36shorter

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing some benjamin trousers as well as a benjamin suit. What is the difference between classico II napoli and verdi?

StephenB

Reaction score

Thanks, Mute! I will for the suit. Do you (or any other opinions welcome as well) think the 36 is salvageable for the tux if tailored well? I've added some pics below.
Looking at it from the front makes me want to say size down to 34 even more.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Mute! I will for the suit. Do you (or any other opinions welcome as well) think the 36 is salvageable for the tux if tailored well? I've added some pics below.
While a great tailor can certainly make the tux fit, you need a great deal of re-working. It will probably be more economically sound to start with a smaller size and see how well it fits. Might only need some minor adjustments.

lierre

Reaction score
Thanks Mute. Do you have any recommendations for a place that carries a smaller size (this 36 is Ben's smallest offering)? I tried SS but their sleeves are way to short.

scatterbrain

Reaction score
Ask (for pics) and ye shall receive.

Maiden voyage of my Benjamin coat yesterday. The pics don't do it justice, and neither does the cheap button down shirt I wore it with. I got around 10 complements on it throughout the day. :)

A better shot of the pattern.

I had the tailor slim and hem the sleeves, and I think they overdid it a little. Also added surgeon's cuffs, as I plan on keeping this for a while. :) No other alterations required.

gimmeabreak

Reaction score
Ben, I would like to know if you have been using the same fabric for suits for the last few years?

I bought a charcoal Granoro suit a bit more over 2 years ago. The pants are a bit tight and worn out anyway, so I would like to replace them and wonder if the current charcoal pants sold are made from the same fabric.
Thanks

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Ask (for pics) and ye shall receive. Maiden voyage of my Benjamin coat yesterday. The pics don't do it justice, and neither does the cheap button down shirt I wore it with. I got around 10 complements on it throughout the day. :) A better shot of the pattern. I had the tailor slim and hem the sleeves, and I think they overdid it a little. Also added surgeon's cuffs, as I plan on keeping this for a while. :) No other alterations required.
Allow me to be the 11th - you look MAAAHVELOUS!!!

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Ben, I would like to know if you have been using the same fabric for suits for the last few years?

I bought a charcoal Granoro suit a bit more over 2 years ago. The pants are a bit tight and worn out anyway, so I would like to replace them and wonder if the current charcoal pants sold are made from the same fabric.
Thanks

Yup - same fabric for the charcoal so you're in luck!

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For all you SF guys who celebrate Christmas, I just wanted to wish you a belated merry one!

JEdge

Reaction score
How much should I expect to pay for functional buttons on the sleeves? My tailor initially stated that he won't do them at all but finally said he'd do them for $25 per button.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How much should I expect to pay for functional buttons on the sleeves? My tailor initially stated that he won't do them at all but finally said he'd do them for $25 per button.

My experience has been that $20 - $25 per button is about the going rate. It's fairly labor intensive, and I've had tailors who were reluctant, as well.

If you don't want to pay that much now, you can just have your tailor sew the buttons on. You can always have them made working later. And no one will notice, except for you.

BTW, if you're in DC, I know Sun Tailor in Tysons Galleria charges $20/per.

Last edited:

JEdge

Reaction score
Thanks, makes sense. I'm using Reeds off of Lee Highway in Arlington. First time using them so when I heard $25 per button I immediately assumed the dude didn't know what he was talking about, but happy to hear that this is a market rate.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, makes sense. I'm using Reeds off of Lee Highway in Arlington. First time using them so when I heard $25 per button I immediately assumed the dude didn't know what he was talking about, but happy to hear that this is a market rate.

Ha, I used to go Reed's. He's good. He told me the same thing about buttonholes. He says he does them by hand, but his eyesight is not good enough anymore, so it's difficult. I think Sun has help, and I also think his are done by machine.

I've been very happy with Reed's in general, though. The guy knows what he's doing. I also like Sun, but he's more expensive (other than buttonholes).

I know I've checked one other place (can't recall), and it was similar price.

scatterbrain

Reaction score

I paid $50 total for Magic Tailor in Toronto to do surgeon's cuffs, by machine. They had to have the jacket sent out, because they didn't have the machine.

I've also had them done by Ray Singh in North York, also by machine. I think it was 50 or 60. In my opinion, Raj's looked much better. Fuller stitching around the holes.

I'd like to get handfinished holes, but there's no way I'm paying $160 for that detail at this point.

Last edited:

toade

Reaction score
Do you have an idea of when you might get more Napoli suits in? In particular charcoal 37/38R.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads