World Cup 2006

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by odoreater, Jun 5, 2006.

1. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Man, no world cup thread on styleforum? What's up with that? Anyway, here are my predictions. Do you agree or disagree?

Group Stage
    Group A: Germany & Poland
    Group B: England & Paraguay
    Group C: Argentina & Serbia/Montenegro
    Group D: Mexico & Portugal
    Group E: Italy & USA
    Group F: Brazil & Croatia
    Group G: France & Korea
    Group H: Tunisia & Ukraine

Round of 16
    (49) Germany
    (50) Argentina
    (51) England
    (52) Serbia/Montenegro
    (53) Croatia
    (54) France
    (55) Brazil
    (56) Korea

Quarterfinals
    (57) Germany
    (58) Croatia
    (59) England
    (60) Brazil

Semifinals
    (61) Germany
    (62) England

Third place
    Brazil

Champions
    England

Those are my predictions.

I hope that I'm wrong about the United States and they beat Brazil in the second round. I will be rooting for the USA.

2. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

No love for the world cup on styleform I guess.

3. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I thiought there was a thread...

Anyway, I will be VERY surprised if England makes it far.

4. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

If Brazil does not win the World Cup (considering they have, um, 4 or 5 of the top 25 players in the world) I will be amazed. I'm rooting for our country as we have the best stateside team ever essentially, but with the tough group I don't think we'll advance. The number 5 seeding confounds me.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Oh, there is, but I really don't think England will win. Also, I really hope ESPN coverage is better than I hope it will be. While, I do have a native-720p HDTV and ESPN broadcasts its HD channels in 720p (thus no up / down conversion), unfortunately the Argentina games are broadcast on ESPN 2 HD, and I don't have ESPN 2 HD.

Jon.

6. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Well, I can't wait until it starts. I am flying out to Germany a week from today!!

Thank god this gives me something to do for a couple weeks while it's not football season.

7. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I thiought there was a thread...

Anyway, I will be VERY surprised if England makes it far.

There's a thread on the main forum, but they are discussing what people would be wearing. I thought this would be a more appropriate place to discuss the game and tournament themselves.

Why don't you think England will make it very far? I think if Rooney is healthy they can win the whole thing.

8. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

There's a thread on the main forum, but they are discussing what people would be wearing. I thought this would be a more appropriate place to discuss the game and tournament themselves.

Why don't you think England will make it very far? I think if Rooney is healthy they can win the whole thing.

Historically they tend to have one or two phenomenal players but lack the spirit and cohesion to overcome their opponents.

9. countchocula8

countchocula8 Well-Known Member

is there a schedule of all the games posted somewhere? Admittedly, I'm too lazy to google and sort through all the results, but I'm sure some of you already have a few good sites bookmarked. THanks. edit: nevermind. I googled anyways. World Cup fever got me [​IMG]

10. romafan

romafan Senior member

I just learned that a guy a grew up with (and played soccer w/ for 10 yrs) is commnetating a bunch of games for ESPN! [​IMG] I think he's paired w/ the Cosmos goalie, Shep Messing. Might have to get cable....

11. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

in the last world cup the u.s. made it to the quarter-finals, but that fact gets mentioned here almost casually. i don't think americans appreciate what an amazing feat it is for a non-soccer country to make it that far.

also, americans never mention the fact that they thoroughly outplayed germany in that QF match, and if the ref had awarded them a penalty on that handball on the goalline, they may very well have made it to the final (they would have faced s. korea in the semis.)

12. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Rooney in for England.

Cisse out for France.

So say the latest reports.

bob

13. manicturncoat

manicturncoat Well-Known Member

also, americans never mention the fact that they thoroughly outplayed germany in that QF match, and if the ref had awarded them a penalty on that handball on the goalline, they may very well have made it to the final (they would have faced s. korea in the semis.)
    A handball in the box needs to be intentional to qualify for a penalty kick, as far as I could tell, that was not intentional.

14. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

A handball in the box needs to be intentional to qualify for a penalty kick, as far as I could tell, that was not intentional.

it was a handball on the goal line and the player's hand was outstrectched from his body = penalty plus expulsion.

15. manicturncoat

manicturncoat Well-Known Member

it was a handball on the goal line and the player's hand was outstrectched from his body = penalty plus expulsion.
    At the moment the ball was kicked(at close range) his hand was at his side, subsequently he did not move his hand to try and block the ball. This was not a penalty.