1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2011 Rugby World Cup

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by hendrix, Sep 7, 2011.

1. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Pool A:
    New Zealand
    France
    Tonga
    Canada
    Japan

Pool B
    England
    Argentina
    Scotland
    Georgia
    Romania

Pool C
    Australia
    Ireland
    Italy
    USA
    Russia

Pool D
    South Africa
    Wales
    Samoa
    Fiji
    Namibia

Fixtures

• All the pools look pretty easy, except maybe D. Hope Fiji and Samoa don't take each other out but that may happen.
    • A few big pool games:
    • Argentina vs England 10/9
    • South Africa vs Wales 11/9
    • Australia vs Ireland, 17/9
    • Wales vs Samoa 18/9
    • NZ vs France, 24/9
    • Fiji vs Samoa, 25/9
    • South Africa vs Samoa, 30/9

I'm guessing quarterfinals will be:

Australia vs Samoa (winner C runner up D) 8/10​

England vs France (winner B runner up A) 8/10​

South Africa vs Ireland (winner D runner up C) 9/10​

New Zealand vs Argentina (winner A runner up B) 9/10​

From there semis will probably be:
    South Africa vs New Zealand
    Australia vs England

and anyone's game from there.

2. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Oh and opens this friday with NZ vs Tonga.

Players to watch? know shit all about the northern hemisphere teams. Can't believe Wilkinson is here though, so overrated.

Selection is weird for NZ. we have a few incumbents with pressure on them. Muliaina hasn't played that well and Dagg is looking good for fullback. Weepu has been playing great at halfback but he's just too much of a good sub to have him starting, in that he can cover first five as well. Andrew Hore vs Keven Mealamu is tough to pick.

Kieran Read was a big loss, although Vito played really well when he came on last week. As did Ali Williams.

We're screwed if we lose McCaw or Carter. Slade is clearly nowhere near Carter, and I don't think we even have a substitute openside for McCaw.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  3. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Big pressure on NZ - home team and favourites again.

4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Wallabies win it all. All Blacks show how they are the most consistent team of the last 24 years.

5. AGPi

AGPi Senior member

The Wallabies have the best team, the most favourable draw, and are now playing an appealing form of rugby. But many teams tends toward a conservative style in World Cups, and this would favour the Springboks. Samoa are playing well, and I'd love to see them win a few games. NZ and SA to meet in the semi. The winner will lose to Australia in the final. But I just hope it's more entertaining than the last cup. Hilarious if France beat NZ again.

6. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

It wouldn't matter so much if France beat NZ since they're in the same group, and both will probably go through to the quarters.

Wallabies have a good team but i don't think it's the best. Couple of good backs but weak in the centres. Couple of decent loose forwards but poor front row. Their draw is the easiest but that's not necessarily a good thing. It'll be a shock when they finally get to the semis and play a good team.

South Africa's strategy is gonna work in their pool against Samoa and Fiji, and it worked against the ABs last month, but unless Graham Henry and co are idiots it won't work again.

I mean we knew that the opposition can't run the ball or retain possession more than a few phases, why would we persist with short kick-offs and little chip kicks? kick deep man.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  7. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

BTW anyone know anything about how England have been playing this year? I never follow Northern Hemisphere rugby, but it seems like they're sending the same team they sent to the 2003 WC. It'll be interesting to see how they go against Australia.

8. Kai

Kai Senior member

Is it possible to watch these matches in the US?

Can anyone point me to a schedule for US TV?

(Edit)

Did some googling. Can it really be true that only the US matches are being shown on US TV until the later stages of the tournament? Really?? I'm patriotic and all, but why would any real fan want to just watch the US matches?

Somebody please tell me that I've missed something, and I can watch the other matches too.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  9. edinatlanta

universal sports has the rundown of the matches. don't think you'll like what you read though. PPV is also an option.

10. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

That's pretty poor if they're not being broadcast in the US. NZ is losing money on this world cup, on the faint hope that it'll bring tourism/whatever.

11. Kai

Kai Senior member

Arrgh. Looks like I will have to scour the internet for grey market feeds of the games I really want to watch. I've got 100 channels of shopping shows on my satellite TV, but no rugby. something is seriously wrong here.

12. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

UK are workmanlike. Will probably make semis and then its pot luck.

13. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

tonight:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

NZ is looking rather strong.

15. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

As strong as they ever do. Playing Tonga isn't much of a challenge and even they admitted there is a lot to work on (a lot of handling errors!). The sad thing about Rugby is that there just isn't much competition past the top teams and even then i'd only say the 3 tri nations teams are consistent. France always give a great showing, England are tactical but yep. Oh, no chance Samoa are going through ahead of Wales in my opinion.

Also Sonny Bill was fantastic tonight so I hope the pundits shut the fuck up about him. Am happy for Kahui who has also had pressure on him as not being good enough over recent times. Cowen didn't do much for me today, would definitely prefer Weepu in there.

16. AGPi

AGPi Senior member

Sonny Bill must be in that starting team.

17. edinatlanta

That's why IRB is putting its focus developing the Sevens game. Much more parity much easier to develop, and let's face it, Argentina is probably the only team in the next 20 years who could become one of the titan. And that's a really fast timetable.

18. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Just so the Kiwis do not get too carried away past results are:

Australia 2 wins 1 runner up
    SA 2 wins
    UK 1 win 2 runners up
    NZ 1 win 1 runner up
    France 2 runners up

19. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

strongly disagree about sonny bill. He just doesn't understand how to run in the backs, doesn't actually have a decent step and has shitty acceleration. Great league player, and might be good as a loose forward, just not in the backline. He looked allright tonight running in massive overlaps with Nonu and Carter and Dagg setting everything up. He butchered a couple of tries - had room with 10m to the tryline and cut in instead of backing his pace to go around the outside. Toeava did the exact same thing. Backs need to be fast enough to get around the outside. Nonu or Smith would not have made that mistake. (Or Gear, or Robbie Fruean, but that's another story).

Jerome Kaino is our MVP at the moment. More important than McCaw. His workrate is amazing, huge on defence and attack and strong in the rucks. We missed him against south africa.

Agree about Cowan, he looked average. Honestly it was a pretty patchy game. Only Ali Williams and Kaino looked good in the forwards.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  20. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Japan were awesome in patches. That scoreline is really flattering to France. fun game.

Lol at England's kit. They can do what they want, but why would they do that?

[​IMG]

the one they're playing with tonight doesn't have the 02, just a small nike logo.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011