• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World Cup 2006

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, no world cup thread on styleforum? What's up with that? Anyway, here are my predictions. Do you agree or disagree?

Group Stage
Group A: Germany & Poland
Group B: England & Paraguay
Group C: Argentina & Serbia/Montenegro
Group D: Mexico & Portugal
Group E: Italy & USA
Group F: Brazil & Croatia
Group G: France & Korea
Group H: Tunisia & Ukraine

Round of 16
(49) Germany
(50) Argentina
(51) England
(52) Serbia/Montenegro
(53) Croatia
(54) France
(55) Brazil
(56) Korea

Quarterfinals
(57) Germany
(58) Croatia
(59) England
(60) Brazil

Semifinals
(61) Germany
(62) England

Third place
Brazil

Champions
England

Those are my predictions.

I hope that I'm wrong about the United States and they beat Brazil in the second round. I will be rooting for the USA.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No love for the world cup on styleform I guess.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thiought there was a thread...

Anyway, I will be VERY surprised if England makes it far.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Brazil does not win the World Cup (considering they have, um, 4 or 5 of the top 25 players in the world) I will be amazed. I'm rooting for our country as we have the best stateside team ever essentially, but with the tough group I don't think we'll advance. The number 5 seeding confounds me.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, there is, but I really don't think England will win. Also, I really hope ESPN coverage is better than I hope it will be. While, I do have a native-720p HDTV and ESPN broadcasts its HD channels in 720p (thus no up / down conversion), unfortunately the Argentina games are broadcast on ESPN 2 HD, and I don't have ESPN 2 HD.

Jon.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I can't wait until it starts. I am flying out to Germany a week from today!!

Thank god this gives me something to do for a couple weeks while it's not football season.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I thiought there was a thread...

Anyway, I will be VERY surprised if England makes it far.

There's a thread on the main forum, but they are discussing what people would be wearing. I thought this would be a more appropriate place to discuss the game and tournament themselves.

Why don't you think England will make it very far? I think if Rooney is healthy they can win the whole thing.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
There's a thread on the main forum, but they are discussing what people would be wearing. I thought this would be a more appropriate place to discuss the game and tournament themselves.

Why don't you think England will make it very far? I think if Rooney is healthy they can win the whole thing.

Historically they tend to have one or two phenomenal players but lack the spirit and cohesion to overcome their opponents.

countchocula8

Reaction score
is there a schedule of all the games posted somewhere? Admittedly, I'm too lazy to google and sort through all the results, but I'm sure some of you already have a few good sites bookmarked. THanks. edit: nevermind. I googled anyways. World Cup fever got me
smile.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just learned that a guy a grew up with (and played soccer w/ for 10 yrs) is commnetating a bunch of games for ESPN!
wow.gif
I think he's paired w/ the Cosmos goalie, Shep Messing. Might have to get cable....

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in the last world cup the u.s. made it to the quarter-finals, but that fact gets mentioned here almost casually. i don't think americans appreciate what an amazing feat it is for a non-soccer country to make it that far.

also, americans never mention the fact that they thoroughly outplayed germany in that QF match, and if the ref had awarded them a penalty on that handball on the goalline, they may very well have made it to the final (they would have faced s. korea in the semis.)

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rooney in for England.

Cisse out for France.

So say the latest reports.

bob

manicturncoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
also, americans never mention the fact that they thoroughly outplayed germany in that QF match, and if the ref had awarded them a penalty on that handball on the goalline, they may very well have made it to the final (they would have faced s. korea in the semis.)
A handball in the box needs to be intentional to qualify for a penalty kick, as far as I could tell, that was not intentional.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manicturncoat
A handball in the box needs to be intentional to qualify for a penalty kick, as far as I could tell, that was not intentional.

it was a handball on the goal line and the player's hand was outstrectched from his body = penalty plus expulsion.

manicturncoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
it was a handball on the goal line and the player's hand was outstrectched from his body = penalty plus expulsion.
At the moment the ball was kicked(at close range) his hand was at his side, subsequently he did not move his hand to try and block the ball. This was not a penalty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads