• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Workwear, Americana and Raw Denim

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
I know there has been a debate on here before about rolling your jeans. What is everyone's preference on rolled or hemmed denim? Thinking about hemming these. 20210403_131045.jpg

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get mine hemmed so that I can do one single cuff, or turn-up, I do not like the look of jeans that have been turned-up more than one time. Like people who get a 36" inseam and only need a 30" so it's folded over more than once. One small sleek turn-up just to show the selvedge line.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know there has been a debate on here before about rolling your jeans. What is everyone's preference on rolled or hemmed denim? Thinking about hemming these. View attachment 1586629

Parker on here once gave what I thought was a really good heuristic for cuffs. He said he thinks of cuffs like the serifs on a font. He likes cuffs (or serifs) are traditional outfits. He likes no cuffs (san serifs) on more contemporary outfits.

With the kind of workwear outfits discuss in this thread, I like a small, single folded cuff (double cuffs always look too thick to me).

With a contemporary fit with something like a suede Our Legacy jacket, I think no cuffs looks better.

With a tailored jacket, I can go either way -- cuffs or no cuffs.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One small sleek turn-up just to show the selvedge line.

So cuffs are just a flex to show you're wearing selvedge?

(not judging...I always unbutton the last button on my surgeon cuffs on sport coats and I guess it's for the same reason).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

(not judging...I always unbutton the last button on my surgeon cuffs on sport coats and I guess it's for the same reason).

I think there was a period in 2005-2010 when raw denim was becoming mainstream, and some guys flipped their cuffs to show off the selvedge stripe.

But there's also a group of people who are obsessive about workwear and certain looks. For them, a rolled cuff is partly about historical accuracy, as they may be copying greasers, rockabilly types, or workwear looks prominent in the 1930s through 60s. During that period, many people wore unsanforized denim, so they cuffed their jeans before hemming, as you don't know where the hem might end up later.

In terms of a "flex," the selvedge stripe doesn't mean anything anymore. Uniqlo and The Gap once sold selvedge, raw denim jeans. There are dozens of Kickstarters for it. Selvedge denim isn't particularly unique or special. I think most people cuff because they're after a specific look.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hem mine so I can wear a small single cuff with low top boots ( Viberg service) or roll it down for a bit of stacking with higher shafted boots like engineers or western. I hem, repair and alter my own jeans so I don't mind messing with them a bit

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I cuff even when I'm wearing non selvedge denim

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there was a period in 2005-2010 when raw denim was becoming mainstream, and some guys flipped their cuffs to show off the selvedge stripe.

But there's also a group of people who are obsessive about workwear and certain looks. For them, a rolled cuff is partly about historical accuracy, as they may be copying greasers, rockabilly types, or workwear looks prominent in the 1930s through 60s. During that period, many people wore unsanforized denim, so they cuffed their jeans before hemming, as you don't know where the hem might end up later.

In terms of a "flex," the selvedge stripe doesn't mean anything anymore. Uniqlo and The Gap once sold selvedge, raw denim jeans. There are dozens of Kickstarters for it. Selvedge denim isn't particularly unique or special. I think most people cuff because they're after a specific look.
This is pretty fair, I tend to cuff when I'm wearing selvedge jeans, but I also tend to only wear those with more workwear or Americana type look.

For something more contemporary or street, I would probably go no cuff, but also might not rock selvedge then.

With tailored clothing in general I almost always prefer a cuff if it's not black tie so if I am wearing jeans with a sport coat it's gonna be cuffed.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
Great Price on this Freenote shirt. One of my favorite shirts I purchased recently.

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I keep a small cuff on all my denim for a couple reasons - I've noticed upwards shrink continues for years. My first pair of Tellason Ankara (when they were just the ACL collab pair) went from a 2" cuff to no cuff; same for most of my pairs of Ooe Yofukuten. The other reason is just me being too lazy to hem anything.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Just ordered a custom Viapiana Type III denim jacket. Wanted a standard denim jacket that actually hits at the belt line instead of going 2-3 inches below it. Really hoping I got the measurements right.

Code:
- Preshrunk
- Brass hardware
- Faded orange thread
- Veg tan leather patch
- Double needle construction
- No hand-warmer pockets

Went with this denim:
i-163rd-745x1024.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics