• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Workwear, Americana and Raw Denim

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Billy Reid looks interesting. Mainly looking for some solid or striped/plaid lightweight button-ups that I can wear to the office and they look to fit the bill.
Not plaid or striped, but I am a big fan of very thin chambray during the summer. Luxire and Spier & McKay are great if you know your measurements

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
20210318_045339.jpg
Half fit from yesterday. Freenote jacket. Wax London Shirt.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
Not plaid or striped, but I am a big fan of very thin chambray during the summer. Luxire and Spier & McKay are great if you know your measurements
I was just browsing the rack and they have some billy reid linen button ups for a decent price.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Got in my Freenote Scout and I'm loving it. Could I wear it in MS heat? Maybe. Believe it or not, I've worn heavier stuff than this. One possible issue did occur when trying to unbutton it. Some of the stitching came loose around two of the button holes. Is this worth an email to Freenote?

20210321_171627.jpg

20210321_172003.jpg

20210321_172147.jpg

20210321_172202.jpg

Also forgot to take pics of my Taylor Stitch heavy bag henley. Honestly, considering its almost half the price of the Freenote, I would recommend it first. It feels just as substantial and well-made as the FN henley. The only reason I would choose the Freenote over it is if FN has a color that you prefer. TS doesn't have a brown henley so I'll be keeping the FN tobacco henley. It does seem a bit longer than my FN though.

20210321_172418.jpg

20210321_172455.jpg

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
Got in my Freenote Scout and I'm loving it. Could I wear it in MS heat? Maybe. Believe it or not, I've worn heavier stuff than this. One possible issue did occur when trying to unbutton it. Some of the stitching came loose around two of the button holes. Is this worth an email to Freenote?

View attachment 1579236

View attachment 1579237

View attachment 1579238

View attachment 1579239

Also forgot to take pics of my Taylor Stitch heavy bag henley. Honestly, considering its almost half the price of the Freenote, I would recommend it first. It feels just as substantial and well-made as the FN henley. The only reason I would choose the Freenote over it is if FN has a color that you prefer. TS doesn't have a brown henley so I'll be keeping the FN tobacco henley. It does seem a bit longer than my FN though.

View attachment 1579241

View attachment 1579242
Scout shirt looks good. Yeah, I would email them. Their CS is really good. I don't own any Freenote henleys but the TS ones are awesome.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only reason I would choose the Freenote over it is if FN has a color that you prefer.
Yeah I really wish TS had more colors if I got another natural henley I think my gf would dump my **** outside.

The tobacco color on the Freenote is cool though, I would probably keep it

doofalb

Reaction score
I recently came across a company called Darryl Brown, which is a black-owned company run by a designer of the same name. Brown worked for a while on the railroads (I think he was an engineer?) and then somehow went from that job to styling various musicians, including Kanye. He was Kanye's personal stylist from about 2015 to 2019, I believe. Somewhere around there.

I think his line is just on the border of streetwear and workwear, but many of the pieces look like they could be easily worn in a more traditional workwear outfit. The sweatshirts, for example, have a slightly cropped, very wide silhouette (sorta Kanye-sque/ John Elliott), but they also look like they can easily play with brands such as Chimala and LVC (and indeed, LVC makes similar sweatshirts).

I like these fits, for example, and the bag is interesting to me. The zip-up work jacket seems pretty simple, but I again like how the cropped fit looks with work pants.

Dang, I really like their style! I was about to pull the trigger on one of their pants when i noticed the "No Returns or Exchanges" policy. Bummer :oops:

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Scout shirt looks good. Yeah, I would email them. Their CS is really good. I don't own any Freenote henleys but the TS ones are awesome.
I personally wouldn't email them over that buttonhole thread. Seems minor and you can prob take care of it at home by singeing it with a lighter.

Both shirts look nice though.

Just an FYI: went ahead and emailed. They got back with me quickly and said it should be no issue but that they'd take care of it if it did get any worse.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a nod to the khaki snap button western shirt and its place in recent history as authentic workwear. I worked in construction as a pipefitter/welder for 30 years and the starched khaki snap button western shirt was the daily uniform of choice in that industry. I normally had a dozen of them on hangers in the closet. The reasons for that garments popularity were numerous . It wasn't as hot as a leather jacket, the khaki twill takes starch very well and not only burns slower than other cotton weaves but in combination will actually cause most of those sparks, referred to as dingleberries by welders, to bounce off. In the off chance one does catch fire the snap buttons offer a rapid exit. A number of companies produce these shirts but the most popular and my favorite by far is the Carhartt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads