• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Winterbourne

Reaction score

I would go with boot oil. After you wear these a while you won't see that mark. It'll blend in. I've noticed that some colors seem to have a light surface glaze as part of the finishing process. That's what I think you brushed through.

Ok thanks. I'll continue wearing them while I wait for Filson's boot oil to arrive. Hell they already have 2 coats of Obenauf's LP on them, might as well.

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score

Not a problem. Closed tomorrow so make it Monday. Dave will issue you a return label and we'll get a new pair out to you pronto.

Picked up my replacement 1Ks from the Post Office last night (they were supposed to be delivered last Thursday, but my roomate was out). Another satisfied Crane's customer!

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing my 1ks daily for a few months and outside of serious manufacturing defects I feel like a lot of people here are fretting far too much. Slap on some oil, do the LP with a blow dryer and wear. Buff them out when they scuff, maybe add some oil if you're really concerned.

I've had random calcium crack off in the crease of one boot for awhile, it went away. Scuffed them hard on the toe box, buffed it over. Minor discolouration and wear is what makes these fun; unless you have an actual defect, don't fuss. Time and obenauf's heals all wounds.

super56k

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with these Wolverine 1,000 mile boots? My Google-fu has come up empty. Tan leather, tan/cream Vibram sole, tan waxed canvas sides and tongue.

Last edited:

weshelm

Reaction score
I have the same thing happening on my black 1000 miles, particularly on the toes. It seems to be spreading. The boots are well oiled and LP'd via Crane's method, and I am just wearing them around town with no special abuse- I have no idea what is causing it. Anybody have any ideas what causes this? General abrasion? Any way of preventing it? I spent a long time water brushing and buffing, which helped it to blend in better, but definitely did not restore the original finish.
Do you think Saphir Renu can be used in place of boot oil?

Here's what they look like now:

Outside of that issue, I am loving the boots. They are my first quality boot purchase, and I ended up going true to size, and added insoles since I have a fairly low-volume foot. They fit perfectly and are comfortable as all hell... I am already thinking about picking up a second pair in brown or tan so I can rotate them.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone familiar with these Wolverine 1,000 mile boots? My Google-fu has come up empty. Tan leather, tan/cream Vibram sole, tan waxed canvas sides and tongue.
It's called the Whitepine and according to my Fall 2013 catalog we should be able to get it. It comes in natural which is what you're seeing and brown.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So... that's natural CXL, eh? A shame that it's only available on a non-basic pair.

Yep that's natural CXL. IT wouldn't surprise me to that leather make it's way through the line. Given the originals are available now in 5 colors I would guess if it happens it'll start with that model.

There's a new brogue shoe in Latigo leather and an 8 inch boot in a brushed leather that's coming out in September. The brogues look interesting.

Ketawa

Reaction score
Want to give another endorsement for Crane's for amazing customer service. I ended up ordering size 13D to try on also (see below), and they fit better. Crane's was happy to let me try on both sizes, then return the one that didn't fit. On top of that, there was a small defect on the size 13s I first received, so they reordered a new pair. That new pair had the same problem, so they ordered another! Fantastic.

I will be going to them again for any more boot purchases. Probably picking up some black original 1K miles eventually to go with my black ToJ CWU jacket.

Received Rust 1k Miles from Crane's today. Great boots, going to start treating them with Obenauf's.

Just to add my data point on sizing, I went with 14D. Wearing them with some cotton athletic socks, I can fit two fingers behind my left heel if I jam my foot forward. I like my boots to fit like this, they don't feel too big. On a Brannock device my left foot measures 13.5C, right foot 13C. I once tried on size 13 Red Wing Beckman boots but they were too small. I haven't actually tried on a 13 in Wolverines, but I think I'm going to stick with 14.

I also currently wear:
13 in Clarks Desert Boots, but were fairly painful to stretch out
14D in Allen Edmonds Bayfield
14D in AE Malvern
13C in AE 5 last (with thinner dress socks)

It's my understanding that going down a full size is a difference of about 1" in length, correct? If that's true, my Clarks are only 3/16" shorter in length, and I can't imagine wearing boots much shorter than them. My AE Bayfield are about the same length as the Wolverines. Going down to a 13 in the Wolverines would be too short.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reposting this from another member's post in the "Recent Purchases Thread":

Barely ever see pictures of Austens, or Rockfords for that matter.

That natural Predator leather lookin' real good, patina-ing up nicely.

I love the looks of Austens or Stocktons (Engineer) for riding, but I think I'm going White's at that price point.

jrs19

Reaction score
while I love the way the 1ks look and feel, I can't say that I think they're as tough as they should be. I've had mine for only 4 months. in those 4 months, I've given them at least 4 HDLP treatments, and I already have a hole in the sole. this seems very premature. do i call wolverine customer service or just take them to a cobbler? I don't even walk on pavement that much. seems crazy, right?

jrs19

Reaction score
while I love the way the 1ks look and feel, I can't say that I think they're as tough as they should be. I've had mine for only 4 months. in those 4 months, I've given them at least 4 HDLP treatments, and I already have a hole in the sole. this seems very premature. do i call wolverine customer service or just take them to a cobbler? I don't even walk on pavement that much. seems crazy, right?

so i just spoke to wolverine customer service, and for the 2nd time, they were totally awesome. they told me that the hole is presumably premature, and that if i take the boots to a cobbler, they'll reimburse me for the cost. right on wolverine. anyone know a good cobbler in the Raleigh/Durham area?

super56k

Reaction score
It's called the Whitepine and according to my Fall 2013 catalog we should be able to get it. It comes in natural which is what you're seeing and brown.

I knew this would be the place to ask. I appreciate the information. It looks like I bought a pair of demo / preview 1k Whitepine's then. Not my clearest headed moment, but it appears I came out ahead in the deal providing there's not some crippling defect that'll bite me this spring when I really start wearing them. I randomly saw the boots on eBay and purchased at $119 shipped. They nailed a style I was having trouble locating in my price point. I looked into Red Wing Wabasha's, LL Bean Ranger mocs, and even some Sebago stuff, but I couldn't commit because everything had too much of a boat shoe vibe, or appeared too stylized/cheaply made, or were too expensive. So yeah I gambled on the purchase, but hopefully I didn't shoot myself in the foot, so to speak.

mg2380

Reaction score
so i just spoke to wolverine customer service, and for the 2nd time, they were totally awesome. they told me that the hole is presumably premature, and that if i take the boots to a cobbler, they'll reimburse me for the cost. right on wolverine. anyone know a good cobbler in the Raleigh/Durham area?
Heck, I'd ask if I could send them back to Wolverine for the resole job. I'd also get a half-sole installed when you get them back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads