• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

fitchottie

Reaction score

so i just spoke to wolverine customer service, and for the 2nd time, they were totally awesome.  they told me that the hole is presumably premature, and that if i take the boots to a cobbler, they'll reimburse me for the cost.  right on wolverine.  anyone know a good cobbler in the Raleigh/Durham area?

try (lee shoe repair) in garner.. good old country boys been reparing since the 50's.

Ketawa

Reaction score
When I tried applying Obenauf's LP to my Bayfield boots with a hair dryer, I couldn't get the leather to soak up the LP along the welt. The boots ended up with a whitish waxy substance along the stitching, and I thought it was unsightly. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any hints for dealing with it? Use less LP, try more with the hair dryer, don't let the LP sit for long before applying heat?

rexet

Reaction score

When I tried applying Obenauf's LP to my Bayfield boots with a hair dryer, I couldn't get the leather to soak up the LP along the welt. The boots ended up with a whitish waxy substance along the stitching, and I thought it was unsightly. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any hints for dealing with it? Use less LP, try more with the hair dryer, don't let the LP sit for long before applying heat?
Yes I experienced the same thing. I removed the most of it with a folded paper and finish by brushing a lot this area.

rexet

Reaction score

He is still not sure the glue is gonna stick well on the greasy leather of the sole and this is the reason why he didn't make me pay for the work.
He asked me to bring them back after having wore them for one month and see how it goes. I will pay only if I am satisfied :) !

Damn it, I guess the cobbler's doubts were right since the rubber sole is already falling appart after only 3 days ion the front of the sole :( !
Don't know what to do. Put a screwed iron in the front?

red81

Reaction score

just blow dry it until it melts and then wipe off with a rag? that's what i do.

Winterbourne

Reaction score

Damn it, I guess the cobbler's doubts were right since the rubber sole is already falling appart after only 3 days ion the front of the sole :( !
Don't know what to do. Put a screwed iron in the front?

Wait, so why didn't he sand down the leather sole a bit to allow the sole to adhere better?

bik2101

Reaction score
He did actually.
are there other cobblers you can check out? it doesn't seem like getting the half sole on there should be a problem. posisbly a matter of how a cobbler does it? I brought my shoes straight out of the box and got a half sole done and been wearing them almost daily for the past two months with no issues.

rexet

Reaction score
I'm gonna wear them a bit more to see how it goes and if it is too bad I will ask the opinion of another cobbler.

EdinLA44

Reaction score
Speaking of cobblers, does anyone know of a good cobbler in the Los Angeles area?

moonshine

Reaction score

so i just spoke to wolverine customer service, and for the 2nd time, they were totally awesome.  they told me that the hole is presumably premature, and that if i take the boots to a cobbler, they'll reimburse me for the cost.  right on wolverine.  anyone know a good cobbler in the Raleigh/Durham area?

"My" guy is in Elkin, NC; Foot-Heels Shoe & Boot Repair. He does great work and is super-reasonable. Probably too far for you but another NC source if you (or anyone else) need one!

moonshine

Reaction score
Anyone have any pics or info on the Stockton engineer boots? They look great but I need more info before making a firm decision between them, Red Wing and the White's Nomad. Thanks in advance!

tonydelite

Reaction score
Well after reading this thread a few times and debating whether to get the brown or black 1000 mile boots for months, something very fortunate happened.

Last Tuesday I was walking down the streets of downtown Birmingham, MI with a friend of mine and she wanted to stop inside one of the boutiques she spotted. It was a collection of 8 boutiques in a single building. 7 of them catered to women, and in the very back there was a single men's shop. I started to look around while my friend was off looking at jewelry, and I saw a pair of the 1000 mile boots in both black and brown. I still couldn't decide which one I liked better, and ultimately I couldn't pull the trigger on either. I told the guy behind the counter my dilemma, and he told me I should come back on Thursday because they were having a big sale. I said OK, I'd call back on Thursday to see what kind of deal they were going to offer. Fast forward to Thursday... Said boutique's Facebook page indicated that the store was having a Buy One Get One Free sale on everything in the store. I called to make sure that there weren't any exclusions. Nope, no exclusions. Long story short, I ended up getting both the black and the brown for $345! Needless to say, I am very very happy. Here's a picture of the black ones... I haven't taken a picture of the brown ones yet, but I will shortly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads