Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. mikeharo

mikeharo Senior member

Rexet, did you wear the boots on pavement a few times before taking them to have the rubber added? Don't cobblers and manufacturers recommend wearing the shoes a few times to scuff the leather sole so the glue has more surface area to adhere?

2. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

This is not a defect, but a factor of how the boot breaks against your foot. It is very annoying, but unfortunately can happen.

As indicated you can simply stitch the tongue to one side of the boot and to help ensure it stays in place. The cobbler I use charges a few $ to do this.

3. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

I wore mine for a couple of weeks and then got the Topys added. No issues since.

4. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Mine had about 15 minutes of scuffing before having the half-soles applied. They've so far stood up to rain, mud, snow, salt water, and sand without budging an inch. That said, they're about due for a nice water brushing.

5. gardenbuffet

gardenbuffet Member

Gentlemen and scholars,

Bick 4 or Obenauf's LP?

PS - I'm leaning more towards the Bick 4 since I already have a bottle, but wouldn't mind grabbing a bottle of Obenauf's (or any other recommended conditioner) depending on everyone's input.

6. mike134

mike134 Well-Known Member

I have rockfords, I did post some pics before, Maybe just click my profile page to view them?

7. Winterbourne

Winterbourne Senior member

Here are two pairs that have been treated for inclement weather conditions (vibram half-soles as well). I used two coats of sno-seal on the black pair and Obenauf's LP on the rust ones. Personally I like Obenauf's more as it is lighter colored and it shows when applied, which you can see by the way the stitching on the rust ones is still white, whereas sno-seal somewhat darkened the stitching (the product is even a bit more of a grimey yellow unlike Obenauf's). I did the rust today and still working on bringing a little more luster to them. The leather didn't darken to the point of it losing its appeal to me either, just as nice as it was out of the box.

Do any of you know why my right boot is creasing more dramatically than the left one? This is the case for every pair I own be it the black 1ks, RWs, Chippewas, etc. Would shoe trees alleviate any of the unequally distributed creasing?

[​IMG]

8. ShiroiAkuma

ShiroiAkuma Senior member

My stiching started to come out a bit when I was brushing the LP out of it, it also got a little bit of black from the polish on it after the LP had been used. Which is weird since I never have that issue after a polish (prior to LP).

9. rexet

rexet Senior member

Interesting point that has been really discussed on french shoe forums.
    And even cobblers disagree on that:
    - some of them think it is better to wear them a bit
    - the others says this is useless

I really trust mine and since he didn't mention anything when I brought them brand new I decided to go this way.
    BTW I don't think there is a lot of risk there. If something bad happen he would just remove it to try something else :) !

Ok now I'm gonna do the Obenauf treatment with the hair dryer and all... I'm gonna take some pictures before and after.

10. rexet

rexet Senior member

Those babies were thirsty!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pfffiiiuu... now let them absorb for 2 hours before I put the second layer.
    I will then let them drink a whole night before brushing them.

I never put so much work in a pair of shoes :slayer:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  11. kpag

kpag Well-Known Member

So I just noticed that the topy sole I had put on my boots were starting to come off in the front of the boot. I dropped these off at a local shoe repair place, I didn't know them from anybody. They charged me $25 for the job. Should I be concerned? Do you guys think it'll peel all the way back? Not sure if I should take them in now or wait to see if more happens. The biggest problem was I didn't get a receipt or even ask about whether or not they guarantee their work.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  12. rexet

rexet Senior member

When did you put the topy ?
    How many times did you wear them before it happened?

13. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

The $25 was for the repair or to replace the Topy altogether ?

$25 seems very steep for a simple repair - basically contact cement.

14. milesbeyond

milesbeyond Well-Known Member

Just take them back. I wouldn't wear them around like this, especially at the toe.

My first pair of 1k's were topy'd right out of the box. They were clean and didn't have a single problem for a month. But then my heel started splitting so I sent them back.

My second pair were topy'd right out of the box again, and after a week, the back end started to come unglued. Cobbler apologized and reglued them. They're fine now, but it looked like they reapplied the glue and then glued the top of the half-sole as well to seal the topy to the leather sole.

[​IMG]

A little shoddy work and not the prettiest, but I hope they will be fine. The exposed glue (not under the sole) has already cracked and peeled away and the very first centimeter of the half-sole is slightly exposed, but other than that it doesn't seem like they're coming unglued (like previously when I could put my finger under and keep pulling away). At this point, I'm just going to keep wearing them and if I notice anything else, will take them back. The cobbler did initially mention that wearing them for a couple weeks before topy'ing them was recommended but that it wouldn't be a problem to do it right ouf the box. Thankfully it's just a protective sole over the original leather sole, so in all reality...shouldn't be causing any real damage to the boot. I think.