• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wide fitting (g or preferably h) shoes - c&j, edward green etc

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjj8989
thanks for the responses, much appreciated. in general, do you all think i'm making too big a deal of going for a wide fitting? i used to just choose the model of shoe i liked stylistically, and then sized up 1 full size to get the extra width, but i'm worried if i do this with a relatively expensive shoe i'll just ruin the shoe long term. thoughts??

i went around london saturday, my thoughts:

c&j: agree MTO prices would push me to EG (have to double c&j price to choose shoe MTO in "g" last) only "non-agricultural" shoes were the draycott and bedford in a "g". bedford (£295) looks OK, what are everyones thoughts on the bedford? Journeyman - c&j used to do a hallem "g" (they had a few sizes left in london) but its been disconinued. actually the trend i discovered at most shops (except barkers) is that all the manufacters are carrying less and less wide fitting shoes (especially in non-branded shops). barker theexception, they seem to have a little niche in wide fitting shoes.

EG: i tried chelsea on in a "g" (£600). was a bit tight, but its a gorgeous shoe and does'nt look too wide as some do. For me, the value in EG is getting MTO (which some of you mentioned) as you just add roughly £100 to the any model and they can do it in a "g" fitting. i am considering the EG chelsea in black or dark brown (love the lighter brown but would have to get it MTO)

JM Weston: they also do a wide fitting. the best fit (most comfortable/widest) was the savile 582 "g" (£495). not to everyones taste, but Kraftar if you are after a whole cut (has some punching detail) it was the widest/most comfortable "g" fit besides barkers for width (but they look WIDE)

Barkers: wide fits, although the shoes looked massive. but for an everyday work shoe, barkers may be the way to go (c&j nicer but price differential vast).

Churches: do any of their shoes in a "g" MTO, cant remember percentage over they charge but no where near as much as c&j MTO mark up. for £300 i would prefer c&j. consul, diplomat, chetwynd all built on the same last and all felt wide enough

Ferragamo: they also do an EEE fitting, but staff were not very helpful (they did not know which shoes were available in a wide fitting). also some of the pricing was pushing £500, so i thought EG would be better

Grenson: do Archie brogue (which i think is quite nice) in a "g" - have not tried it on yet.

Loake: i could not find London stock, but on herringshoes i may get try the loaeke kew as it looks nice (worried will look as wide as Barkers though)

so i felt for special occasion shoes EG MTO offer the best quality/style/price...(c&j too high MTO, JM weston wholecut fit great but selection of shoes that fit not great and price (£495 for JM's versus £600 for EGs) too close to EG which i felt were better shoes).

a few more questions, if i may..
- work shoes (my budget £160 - £200 ish) - any recommendations much appreciated in a wide fitting
- besides EG chelsea, any other recommendations that fit wide? 202 mentioned, is that chelsea?
- what are people thoughts on prada loafers (or any recommendations on widish fitting loafers)
-finally - does anyone know if EG can do a slightly larger "g'. sadly the "g" was still a bit snug, and i even took your advice and went from a 7 to 7.5. i think 8 would just ruin the shoe long term but i'm not sure as EG staff were not very helpful.

sorry for all the questions, i have searched for forums on wide fitting shoes but i dont think they're many of us with wide feet out there !!

I share your affliction. I wear 4E ( US) running shoes ( trainers) This is about an H width.
I can suggest Ludwig Reiter Amerikaner or Uniform last. I have two pairs of derbies on the
Amerikaner last. They fit in the width and do not look very "klunky"

ludwig-reiter.com

jjj8989

Reaction score
Max, thanks so much for your suggestion on Loeke at Graham Browne, i checked out the 1880 collection, i'm suprised how nice the alywych looks, might just get a larger size in the "f" width.

For Edward Green, they can make up a slightly larger "g", or you can get any of their styles MTO in a "g", and they do not charge much of a premium. for example a £600 shoe would be £700 MTO, which i think is great..full answer from EG below (they're very helpful via email):

) is it possible to get a larger fitting than a "G". if so, the cost please? No, G, is our widest fitting, though we can add a few millimetres more at the lasting stage for MTOs, for instance on the instep or across the joints.
2) am i correct in thinking i can get any shoe made up in a "G" using your MTO service? Yes, that is correct.
3) if yes for number 2, can you please let me know which styles would best fit my wide foot? chelsea felt OK, any similar styles that have a larger fit? If you have a high instep, you may find it best to go for a derby rather than an oxford, as this would afford more space across the instep.

jjj8989

Reaction score
to all the styleforum members with wide feet, perhaps we can exchanve info on the best brands..

from what i've discovered - loeke (lowest brand to get shoes that wont let you down for work but quality not as good as churcehs) do good selection of wides, churches good selection of wides, c&j have 2 models of wides but could maybe get bigger size in hallam "f", edward green does any of their range in a "g" for a slight premium on MTO..

in the link below the gentlemen has loding, they look like a french version of loeke to me..any of you know if they do wides? seem like nice shoes for the price

http://engrandepompe.forumpersos.com...colle-t330.htm

jjj8989

Reaction score
uddate: Graham Browne are definately not a Loeke dealer. They have a small selection of shoes available, but you cannot order in the paris you want. They did not have many from 1880, the arghyle not in stock adn cannot be ordered in..

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who had a similar issue. He had UK size 13 feet and a very shallow instep. He walked into EG London and just spoke to Ray and Valerie. They took his measurements and said they would check with the factory on what they could do. I think they did come up with something and did not charge MTO prices.

jjj8989

Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
I have a friend who had a similar issue. He had UK size 13 feet and a very shallow instep. He walked into EG London and just spoke to Ray and Valerie. They took his measurements and said they would check with the factory on what they could do. I think they did come up with something and did not charge MTO prices.

ok. i know they do a "g" fitting, and they said they can make it slightly wider..i was told cost for MTO is £100 on top of £600 for chelsea, but perhaps thats negotiable.

jjj8989

Reaction score
hi guys..
i decided i would like to get the c&j hallam. my questions is, anyone know the difference between hallam "f" and bedford "g" widths?

just wondering how substantial the width difference is. the bedford "g" 7.5 fit well so i'm wondering if hallam 8 "f" woudl fit, or if i'd need to go to an 8.5..

widths are complicated!

Leather man

Reaction score
to all the styleforum members with wide feet, perhaps we can exchanve info on the best brands..

from what i've discovered - loeke (lowest brand to get shoes that wont let you down for work but quality not as good as churcehs) do good selection of wides, churches good selection of wides, c&j have 2 models of wides but could maybe get bigger size in hallam "f", edward green does any of their range in a "g" for a slight premium on MTO..

in the link below the gentlemen has loding, they look like a french version of loeke to me..any of you know if they do wides? seem like nice shoes for the price

BUMP! Churches are by far the best for wide feet in their price range ( they also charge a modest £90 for MTO) _ Edward Green are just by far the best - as you've found out - they are very helpful. I'm bumping the thread to let you know that now EG do not charge a mark up for an MTO shoe that is an instock shoe. That isn't as daft as it sounds - what they mean is say they stock Cardiff in Dark Oak in E fit but you take F or G fit. Then they will make Cardiff in Dark Oak in G fit for you at no extra charge - excellent value and service I think.

Itsuo

Reaction score

BUMP! Churches are by far the best for wide feet in their price range ( they also charge a modest £90 for MTO) _ Edward Green are just by far the best - as you've found out - they are very helpful. I'm bumping the thread to let you know that now EG do not charge a mark up for an MTO shoe that is an instock shoe. That isn't as daft as it sounds - what they mean is say they stock Cardiff in Dark Oak in E fit but you take F or G fit. Then they will make Cardiff in Dark Oak in G fit for you at no extra charge - excellent value and service I think.

Wow, that sounds excellent LM!

I know Nick at bespoke-england.co.uk will order in most any G&G shoe he regularly stocks in a width you need. I just put in an order for a shoe on back order and asked to have the order filled with an F width. It will take three months but it's a huge relief to be able to find shoes at this price point that don't force you to go MTO just to get a wide.

I'll have to check out the Edward Green as well, where do you find a line up of their in stock shoes?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads