• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Final Decision Help (Shoes)

DrewMill

Reaction score
I've been hemming and hawing for a long time now about what shoe brand to go with for most of my shoes. Aside from specific models, I like to stick with one primary brand for each type of clothing. I like to find something that works and stick with it. For shoes I've narrowed that down to Crockett & Jones and TLB Mallorca, but I'm having trouble deciding between the two. C&J has a great history with a wide selection and are known for quality, but seem a little boring at times. TLB seems to be a better value and has some nice options, but has a more limited catalog (excluding MTO). However, I worry if TLB's style will age while C&J seems to be more timeless, if less exciting. The factors I am undecided or uncertain about are leather quality, internal construction, and aging (positively). I'd love to get some feedback in these areas if you have thoughts. Thanks so much!

(I am not looking for recommendations on other brands. I am aware Carmina, Vass, Sons of Henrey, Cheaney, etc. I'm just trying to keep focused on C&J and TLB, thanks.)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been hemming and hawing for a long time now about what shoe brand to go with for most of my shoes. Aside from specific models, I like to stick with one primary brand for each type of clothing. I like to find something that works and stick with it. For shoes I've narrowed that down to Crockett & Jones and TLB Mallorca, but I'm having trouble deciding between the two. C&J has a great history with a wide selection and are known for quality, but seem a little boring at times. TLB seems to be a better value and has some nice options, but has a more limited catalog (excluding MTO). However, I worry if TLB's style will age while C&J seems to be more timeless, if less exciting. The factors I am undecided or uncertain about are leather quality, internal construction, and aging (positively). I'd love to get some feedback in these areas if you have thoughts. Thanks so much!

(I am not looking for recommendations on other brands. I am aware Carmina, Vass, Sons of Henrey, Cheaney, etc. I'm just trying to keep focused on C&J and TLB, thanks.)

You haven't given any real information on what you intend to wear with these shoes.

Crockett and Jones is a frequently a very rustic brand, for instance.

DrewMill

Reaction score
You haven't given any real information on what you intend to wear with these shoes.

Crockett and Jones is a frequently a very rustic brand, for instance.
Everything from jeans and a polo to navy and charcoal suits to trousers and odd jackets.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Bumping again for weekend readers.

Crockett & Jones are more expensive, but how much of that is UK labor and prices and how much is actual quality of construction and materials? C&J is in my budget, but I'd only want to pay those prices if I'm actually getting more for said prices. Would love any thoughts.

SKS

Reaction score
I mean as a brand as a whole. No one specific shoe.

Irrelevant. As @Jmr928 has suggested, go with one that fits you best. That being said, I question the idea of one pair that goes with everything from jeans and tee to a formal suit.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Irrelevant. As @Jmr928 has suggested, go with one that fits you best. That being said, I question the idea of one pair that goes with everything from jeans and tee to a formal suit.
I'm not asking about a specific pair. I mean the brand as a whole. Multiple pairs to build a wardrobe on. Basically, I'm asking is C&J worth the extra price or is TLB just as good.

Bayou Tiger

Reaction score
I'm not asking about a specific pair. I mean the brand as a whole. Multiple pairs to build a wardrobe on. Basically, I'm asking is C&J worth the extra price or is TLB just as good.
Although I do not have any TLB shoes, Crockett & Jones is definitely worth the money for me.

Currently I have 11 pairs of C&J - 6 boots, 3 dress shoes, and 2 casual shoes. The quality and comfort are high and truly cover the range from jeans to suits.

Some of these boots I have worn the heck out of over the past 3 years and they still look close to brand new. To me I can feel the quality difference in the brand in terms of comfort and materials, and the styles fit my personality.

I am not a shoe collector. I buy shoes to wear them and am willing to pay for the C&J quality and durability. No regrets so far.

Wsl

Reaction score
This is hard to answer without understanding what pairs/styles you are looking for.

I have 2 pairs of shoes each from tlb artista and crocket and jones.

TLB artista offers better “make” at the same price point, and their mto program makes it easy to do some degree of customisation. But crocket and jones have been around longer and some of their models,e.g., the harvard, you just don’t quite have the equivalent in TLB.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Although I do not have any TLB shoes, Crockett & Jones is definitely worth the money for me.

Currently I have 11 pairs of C&J - 6 boots, 3 dress shoes, and 2 casual shoes. The quality and comfort are high and truly cover the range from jeans to suits.

Some of these boots I have worn the heck out of over the past 3 years and they still look close to brand new. To me I can feel the quality difference in the brand in terms of comfort and materials, and the styles fit my personality.

I am not a shoe collector. I buy shoes to wear them and am willing to pay for the C&J quality and durability. No regrets so far.
Thanks so much for the insight!

DrewMill

Reaction score
This is hard to answer without understanding what pairs/styles you are looking for.

I have 2 pairs of shoes each from tlb artista and crocket and jones.

TLB artista offers better “make” at the same price point, and their mto program makes it easy to do some degree of customisation. But crocket and jones have been around longer and some of their models,e.g., the harvard, you just don’t quite have the equivalent in TLB.
This is my dilemma! Maybe the solution is a combination of the two. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads