• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does your college experience sound much better than mine?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
The people who want careers in prestigious fields or get into good grad schools will be busting their asses off, just like always. The party scene really is exaggerated and is a lot like the myth of high school being all about sex, sports and popularity with clean cut edges between cool and uncool. The only thing I really like about the experience is just the fact that I can be awesome academically and be admired for it rather than resented, like it is in the 'real world.'
Lol. Losar. The winners in college had fun, coasted, and got good job anyways. It's about marketing, not substance.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Lol. Losar. The winners in college had fun, coasted, and got good job anyways. It's about marketing, not substance.
Did you spell "loser" wrong while insulting someone? That is awesome. If you don't stop to smell the roses once in a while, what exactly is the point of all that work?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Did you spell "loser" wrong while insulting someone? That is awesome.

If you don't stop to smell the roses once in a while, what exactly is the point of all that work?

Lurk moar, n00b.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like i tell people, id rather get all my partying out while im younger and be content with myself when im 30 etc. then start settling down and living a normal life. i dont want to be those guys who worked their ass off their whole life, never partied, and now are the creepy guys hitting on 20 somethings in the club. yes they may have amazing jobs and be ballers, but theyre now tyring to live their youth in their 40's. youre only young once!

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
like i tell people, id rather get all my partying out while im younger and be content with myself when im 30 etc. then start settling down and living a normal life. i dont want to be those guys who worked their ass off their whole life, never partied, and now are the creepy guys hitting on 20 somethings in the club. yes they may have amazing jobs and be ballers, but theyre now tyring to live their youth in their 40's. youre only young once!

Well but this is the point, young guys generally don't have any money. I've had my share of fun, but certainly not as much as I wanted to, partially because I don't have enough money to do those activities or have time off. I've been working hard to get a high paying, relatively independent job and it looks like it's going to work out at least by the time i'm 26... it is then that I'm going to try to really start living and traveling as much as I can. I know it's not good to put off enjoying life, but sometimes circumstances demand it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24

Just never stop partying. That's the proper answer.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^+1, I'm not sure I buy this 'get it out of your system' mentality some people have... if it's true fun then you shouldn't bore of it with the coming of age. Riding a paraglider across the Sahara on ecstasy is one dream I have... I doubt it will change when I'm 40
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
^+1, I'm not sure I buy this 'get it out of your system' mentality some people have... if it's true fun then you shouldn't bore of it with the coming of age. Riding a paraglider across the Sahara on ecstasy is one dream I have... I doubt it will change when I'm 40
smile.gif

Trust me. I'm an old man and partying, if done well and with the right people, never gets old.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Trust me. I'm an old man and partying, if done well and with the right people, never gets old.

+1
The mornings after, however, get to be a real ***** as one ages.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
+1
The mornings after, however, get to be a real ***** as one ages.

Hells ya. Also, don't schedule anything before noon the next day.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the guy who said 'losar'. Sorry bud, but getting smashed every night won't get you the 4.0 GPA needed for even an interview for a bulge bracket, a prop firm, med school, law school or generally anywhere paying over $100K. Part of busting the ass off includes doing extracurriculars, its a given. I personally was involved with the rowing club, the rugby club, a satellite project, a solar powered car project and was in the army reserve to cover my expenses. After all that I was lucky to have enough time to do my homework assignments on time. Cruising on a 3.0 GPA with zero leadership positions and reeking of alcohol won't get you anywhere but 2nd tier firms, even though I wish it would've been different. Because if you could do that and still get into a top grad school I would've traded that for pouring over statistics theory at 2am any day.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
To the guy who said 'losar'. Sorry bud, but getting smashed every night won't get you the 4.0 GPA needed for even an interview for a bulge bracket, a prop firm, med school, law school or generally anywhere paying over $100K. Part of busting the ass off includes doing extracurriculars, its a given. I personally was involved with the rowing club, the rugby club, a satellite project, a solar powered car project and was in the army reserve to cover my expenses. After all that I was lucky to have enough time to do my homework assignments on time. Cruising on a 3.0 GPA with zero leadership positions and reeking of alcohol won't get you anywhere but 2nd tier firms, even though I wish it would've been different. Because if you could do that and still get into a top grad school I would've traded that for pouring over statistics theory at 2am any day.
Sorry, buddy, but I know people who have proved you wrong (to my chagrin). They have amazing time management and intellect, and are able to both be the life of the party and a good student when they need to be. Those bastards always tend to get the most tail too
frown.gif

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are the exception rather than the norm. If I had to tell my kid how he should go about college I would tell him to bust his ass off and get into a bulge bracket bank. If he has enough time left over to go out once a week, that's good and expected and normal. But not to the extent where he misses classes and stays in hungover on a monday morning. Thing is, partying all night is easy when you're baller and popping an easy $300 per bottle but not when making the rent is your biggest worry. Hooking up in college for me was always an offshoot of the impromptu study sessions and mingling before class, not the ubiquitous keggers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads