• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Closet inventory - is there such a thing as too much

GrayBart

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as too having many items in your wardrobe ?

I've had this conversation a couple of times in recent months, and it was approached from different angles, from sustainable/more intentional shopping, to a minimalist wardrobe, to wanting choice because it's a form of self-expression. Since we all here care about our garments to some extent, I'd like to pose the question, how intentional is your wardrobe collection ? Is it ever enough ?

To give you an example, I reduced my shoe collection from 60 something down to 32 because there's no point in keeping that many of them around, when 50% are only being worn twice a year.

I am looking forward to hear everyone's pespective
The most important things in life are not "things."

I have long enjoyed wearing fine clothes, but they do not bring me true joy.

I am closest to God when near the children of my nieces.

I cherish healthy longtime friendships.

I relish a cold beer on a humid summer day.

Need I say more?

thedavidstarr

Reaction score
This is a conversation about many things:
Am I compulsive?
Am I an addict?
Am I self destructive re money relationships etc?
Do I just love being surrounded literally garbed in beautiful things?
Do I enjoy accumulating stuff so I can turn around and share it with loved ones people who need it (a la Dress for Success for young women who need work clothes)?
Am I selfish re affecting others by the amount of space my crap takes up?
Do I have body image issues etc that leads me to compensate overcompensate via wardrobe?

If you’re like me at least some of those things are factors at least some of the time.

But if this is just a conversation about MANAGEMENT then the USE IT OR LOSE IT approach makes a lot of sense. If I haven’t worn something in a year? It’s kind of a sin to hoard. Think how good you’ll feel by giving it to a Vietnam Vets organization or whatever. An overcoat. A sweater or six.)
Same thing if you have relatives who aren’t well to do and a kid out of school
has no concept how to dress or the budget for it. Give him half a dozen of your blue solid ties that look exactly the same to the naked eye except one is grenadine one shantung one wool one cashmere etc:)
You’ll feel so good and he’ll really appreciate it

William Kazak

Reaction score
Interesting discussion. I am in the process of washing my linen shirts because I won't be wearing them this fall and winter. I will eventually have to iron them. As they are hanging in my summer closet I get to look at them. Four are long sleeved. Seven are short. I know that I have worn them all this summer. I like the colors. The questions arise. Is that too many? Should I replace this one and/or that one? Should I look for deals on linen shirts? Should I look at linen shirts in the thrift stores? Where is contentment? Satisfaction? Gratitude? Am I a hoarder? A Peacock?

thedavidstarr

Reaction score
I feel you:)

Someone once said to me:
It’s a problem when you’ve got lots/all of something. Every Lacoste shade etc. though in the case of linen thanks to global warming we’re liklely to wear it more frequently in the future. So be hard on yourself and not too hard on yourself:)

Mollysdad

Reaction score
This is a conversation about many things:
Am I compulsive?
Am I an addict?
Am I self destructive re money relationships etc?
Do I just love being surrounded literally garbed in beautiful things?
Do I enjoy accumulating stuff so I can turn around and share it with loved ones people who need it (a la Dress for Success for young women who need work clothes)?
Am I selfish re affecting others by the amount of space my crap takes up?
Do I have body image issues etc that leads me to compensate overcompensate via wardrobe?

If you’re like me at least some of those things are factors at least some of the time.

But if this is just a conversation about MANAGEMENT then the USE IT OR LOSE IT approach makes a lot of sense. If I haven’t worn something in a year? It’s kind of a sin to hoard. Think how good you’ll feel by giving it to a Vietnam Vets organization or whatever. An overcoat. A sweater or six.)
Same thing if you have relatives who aren’t well to do and a kid out of school
has no concept how to dress or the budget for it. Give him half a dozen of your blue solid ties that look exactly the same to the naked eye except one is grenadine one shantung one wool one cashmere etc:)
You’ll feel so good and he’ll really appreciate it

This is very well said, thank you. A big issue comes with “what’s going to happen with all this stuff when I die?” That keeps me limiting my purchases lately - just not wanting to encumber family with a big mess when I leave out.

Also, we have to wear these clothes before we expire, too - so the less, the better 👸

Finally, not spending helps marriage relations by a ton, it seems 🙏🏽

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
I feel you:)

Someone once said to me:
It’s a problem when you’ve got lots/all of something. Every Lacoste shade etc. though in the case of linen thanks to global warming we’re liklely to wear it more frequently in the future. So be hard on yourself and not too hard on yourself:)
there was a NYT (?) article ten years or so ago, about someone collecting RL and primarily cashmere sweaters and I vividly remember the line "thanks to global warming, they will likely become less practical in the future"

ironically I've significantly increased my linen rotation over the past two years because summers brought about more occasions to wear it than before

Rich T

Reaction score
Great conversation! It make sense that a person’s clothing reflect their interests, budget, profession, climate … That said, I find a lot of merit in quality over quantity, and keeping only what you really wear. I still struggle the next best pair of shoes that pop up, but I’m doing my best to remember that only have two feet.

thedavidstarr

Reaction score
The climate change thing swings all ways towards extremes: horrendous heat and tough winter storms too.

I struggle with items like books too. Love them but need want remain slippery categories

G Khan

Reaction score
I struggle with this and many of the things mentioned in this thread (compulsive, obsessive, watches, RL, an abundance, etc.). I collect watches and LOVE clothes...especially winter clothes and jackets. Not super useful most of the year in south Louisiana. However, I wear what I want most of the time and I do LOVE having a closet with lots of items that are perfect for an occasion (i.e. I have just the thing for today/tonight). It is fun to dig and wear something that I haven't worn in a couple of years. There are worse/more expensive/more time consuming hobbies. I have embraced my love of clothing, but have evolved into I don't buy unless there is lust/I must have it.

Great topic

icebergwtq

Reaction score
You used the right word, “collection”. Many of us are collectors. We happen to be able to wear our collection. The hunt is just as fun as wearing the items. I thrift the majority of my clothes.

I think the collection has gotten too big when you forget you have certain pieces. Organization is key. As is memory for us older folks.

I think it’s fine to only wear something once or twice a year. I have several Christmas pieces that get that treatment.

I also like having the pieces to make any given outfit. I went to a party with a fire theme and I was able to make something I liked a lot. I doubt I would be able to do that with a minimalist wardrobe.

Lastly, we should normalize wearing what you like when you like. You can wear a suit to go grocery shopping if you want. No one knows or needs to know why. You can wear a suit to work from home too. You don’t have to let your clothes sit in your closet. You can also wear more than one outfit a day. Just saying.
Finally. Somebody who has full closets and enjoys that, as most definitely do I. I'm not really buying anything more, because I have everything I want, and it is all excellent quality, and stylish. I don't give a fig about fashion.

My dad told me when I was a young man going off to boarding school, "Buy the best you can afford, take care of it, and use it forever." I have followed his advice. In fact, I still have, and wear, my boarding school blazer, made by Brooks Brothers back in 1963.

I have also noticed that, invariably, on those few times I toss something, very shortly an occasion will arise when I wish I hadn't.

My clothes aren't hurting anybody just hanging in my closets, or on my shoe racks, or my tie rack, etc. And I don't feel any surge of virtuosity at the idea of getting rid of some of them "just because."

Yeah, I wear suits to the grocery store. Sometimes. And I would be hard pressed to think of any situation where I wouldn't be able to put together something quite appropriate out of what I have on hand, from a squash match to a coronation. I find that comforting.

SKS

Reaction score

letsgofire

Reaction score
I’ve enjoyed reading these entries.

My issue is I don’t have one consistent look - though maybe I should. As I’ve gotten older it’s a bit easier to move on from things, but it hasn’t made the incoming ones less frequent. I guess I’m still in the figuring it out phase.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
I’ve enjoyed reading these entries.

My issue is I don’t have one consistent look - though maybe I should. As I’ve gotten older it’s a bit easier to move on from things, but it hasn’t made the incoming ones less frequent. I guess I’m still in the figuring it out phase.
Never stop learning ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads