• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Closet inventory - is there such a thing as too much

Mollysdad

Reaction score
IMG_0262.jpeg
IMG_0264.jpeg
IMG_0263.jpeg
The struggle continues… I have the brown and black… #1 & 2, but can I resist the chocolate #3??

thedavidstarr

Reaction score
Great conversation! It make sense that a person’s clothing reflect their interests, budget, profession, climate … That said, I find a lot of merit in quality over quantity, and keeping only what you really wear. I still struggle the next best pair of shoes that pop up, but I’m doing my best to remember that only have two feet.
A Supreme Court Justice wore his blue suit one week, his grey one the following. Rinse then repeat…

jdgershbein

Reaction score
This thread ties in nicely with the "Paying School Dues" thread.

I have built and rebuilt my wardrobe several times through the years. I am smack dab in the middle of another reinvention as I type. I would not say I am a slave to fashion; I am a slave to the vicissitudes of my style.

Sometimes I look at my closet now, ample as it is, and think, 'Jeez. What the hell goes with what?' Other times, I pull pieces and effortlessly create ensembles, giving me a dopamine rush that carries the day.

I fear I have also crossed the line into clothes collector, especially concerning neckwear and cuff links. I no longer see the necessity of wearing my suits, French cuff shirts, and ties. I like sports jackets, shackets, and overshirts.

I'm not of the minimalist wardrobe mindset, either. If I come across a garment I can't live without, I must have more than one. (A quarter-zip in mustard, too? Really?) I can always find shelf space for another chunky melange jumper.

This is an outstanding forum. I love the why-we-buy-what-we-buy conversation. It drills down to the core of who we are as men and our rationale in real-time for presenting ourselves to the world.

icebergwtq

Reaction score
A Supreme Court Justice wore his blue suit one week, his grey one the following. Rinse then repeat…
I could never do that. I'd die of boredom. Also, gray suits don't work for me. I have one - an old Brooks GF number - that I rarely wear, but I keep it because it fits well, and some reason might come up for me to need it. That would almost be a guarantee if I were to get rid of it.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
I have built and rebuilt my wardrobe several times through the years. I am smack dab in the middle of another reinvention as I type. I would not say I am a slave to fashion; I am a slave to the vicissitudes of my style.
Reinvention is certainly a driver when one likes fashion and dives deeper into different styles, beyond traditional menswear

I've had an ostentatious pattern phase in my 20s, the Stenströms contrast collar lining, A LOT of Etro and Missoni - while living in Dubai and other places where it sort of fit in.
I fear I have also crossed the line into clothes collector, especially concerning neckwear and cuff links. I no longer see the necessity of wearing my suits, French cuff shirts, and ties. I like sports jackets, shackets, and overshirts.
I'm still unsure how long the overshirt/chore jacket phase will last, and only added iterations that will arguably be wearable beyond the workwear trend cycle. Curious to hear your thoughts on the longevity of the sports jacket replacements
I'm not of the minimalist wardrobe mindset, either. If I come across a garment I can't live without, I must have more than one. (A quarter-zip in mustard, too? Really?) I can always find shelf space for another chunky melange jumper.
That's what inspired my handle, the "love" for knitwear and fabrics - oh it's blue a moss stitch sweater in Yak and English wool, that's of course totally different from the blue melange one in Merino. But it brings me joy to wear different fabrics for different reasons because when well-executed, they all perform different

jdgershbein

Reaction score
Reinvention is certainly a driver when one likes fashion and dives deeper into different styles, beyond traditional menswear

I've had an ostentatious pattern phase in my 20s, the Stenströms contrast collar lining, A LOT of Etro and Missoni - while living in Dubai and other places where it sort of fit in.

I'm still unsure how long the overshirt/chore jacket phase will last, and only added iterations that will arguably be wearable beyond the workwear trend cycle. Curious to hear your thoughts on the longevity of the sports jacket replacements
I am banking on the workwear trend to continue. I see some brands have already pushed their chore coats and shackets toward a more classic sports jacket-esque vibe. I would definitely wear a hybrid garment that blends the best elements of both.
That's what inspired my handle, the "love" for knitwear and fabrics - oh it's blue a moss stitch sweater in Yak and English wool, that's of course totally different from the blue melange one in Merino. But it brings me joy to wear different fabrics for different reasons because when well-executed, they all perform different

letsgofire

Reaction score
View attachment 2030217 View attachment 2030219 View attachment 2030221 The struggle continues… I have the brown and black… #1 & 2, but can I resist the chocolate #3??
Just received the chocolate brown. I live in chicago and have zero use for these. I travel to Austin regularly so I have some hope to wear them. They look.
, however, absolutely stunning. Like OH WOW nice. I’m so pleased and I can’t wait to wear them out and about despite clearly being a poser

Mollysdad

Reaction score
Just received the chocolate brown. I live in chicago and have zero use for these. I travel to Austin regularly so I have some hope to wear them. They look.
, however, absolutely stunning. Like OH WOW nice. I’m so pleased and I can’t wait to wear them out and about despite clearly being a poser

Very cool! Post pics! The brown and black are 🔥 too…
IMG_0210.jpeg

MBrianT

Reaction score
It took me some time to figure an approach that would work for me and most importantly stop me from ‘collecting’ too much. So I break each category into tiers.

Tier 3 is 5 maximum of an item.
Tier 2 is 10 maximum of an item.
Tier 1 is 20 maximum of an item.

For example, suits are Tier 1 for me based on my needs and work. The maximum number keeps me from just buying every new beautiful thing I see and makes me be more intentional. 12 of the 20 get the most wear as they are business staples that might also be work to weddings. The others dip into non-traditional colors and different seasonal fabrics. Because I own 17 suits currently, the last 3 have to fit a specific need (ex. a linen suit, a striped suit, a black suit.) But once I hit 20, the only way to buy another suit would be if one of the ones I own is deteriorating or if I get rid of one.

Since I established the tier and limit system recently, if I am currently over the threshold (ex. sweaters,) to buy a new one and get at the limit, I might get rid of 2 items.

I also give consideration to colors and try not to duplicate like items in the same color family. I have a red Harrington jacket, so I won't buy any other red outerwear. I have an off-white cardigan, so I won't get an off-white turtleneck.

These are the things that keep me from becoming a collector.

William Kazak

Reaction score
It took me some time to figure an approach that would work for me and most importantly stop me from ‘collecting’ too much. So I break each category into tiers.

Tier 3 is 5 maximum of an item.
Tier 2 is 10 maximum of an item.
Tier 1 is 20 maximum of an item.

For example, suits are Tier 1 for me based on my needs and work. The maximum number keeps me from just buying every new beautiful thing I see and makes me be more intentional. 12 of the 20 get the most wear as they are business staples that might also be work to weddings. The others dip into non-traditional colors and different seasonal fabrics. Because I own 17 suits currently, the last 3 have to fit a specific need (ex. a linen suit, a striped suit, a black suit.) But once I hit 20, the only way to buy another suit would be if one of the ones I own is deteriorating or if I get rid of one.

Since I established the tier and limit system recently, if I am currently over the threshold (ex. sweaters,) to buy a new one and get at the limit, I might get rid of 2 items.

I also give consideration to colors and try not to duplicate like items in the same color family. I have a red Harrington jacket, so I won't buy any other red outerwear. I have an off-white cardigan, so I won't get an off-white turtleneck.

These are the things that keep me from becoming a collector.
17 suits? Whatever for?

jdgershbein

Reaction score
On a related note, closet management becomes an issue when inventory exceeds space. Like some of you, I have a custom closet (I share it with my wife), and my current rack and shelf space are tight, necessitating another audit, which I do seasonally. I have off-season storage concerns, too.

Having paid my share of school dues, I am far more selective about new apparel purchases than previously. I rock what I have and do not seek to acquire. Still, I am a sucker for high-end braiding on a cable-knit, easily seduced by a colorful Scandinavian print and helpless against the hypnotic pull of goat suede.

MBrianT

Reaction score
On a related note, closet management becomes an issue when inventory exceeds space. Like some of you, I have a custom closet (I share it with my wife), and my current rack and shelf space are tight, necessitating another audit, which I do seasonally. I have off-season storage concerns, too.

Having paid my share of school dues, I am far more selective about new apparel purchases than previously. I rock what I have and do not seek to acquire. Still, I am a sucker for high-end braiding on a cable-knit, easily seduced by a colorful Scandinavian print and helpless against the hypnotic pull of goat suede.
Very solid points.

That new chocolate brown goat suede jacket from Spier & McKay has me intrigued.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads