• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there like a slim fit polo for Lacoste? I don't like the fit on mine.

Material Boy

Reaction score
Based on my experience (I own over 100 RL Polo shirts, and over 40 Lacoste shirts), I must say Polo Ralph Lauren is the better of the two brands. Here are some of my observations:

1)\tPolo RL shirts have very little shrinkage after washing and drying. One should hang dry the Lacoste shirts.

2)\tBoth brands have high ended polo shirts that are not readily available. For example, last summer, Polo produced few polo shirts that were made of Giza 45 fabric. They were retailed for $165. Saks and Bloomingdales carried the line, in addition to Polo retail stores. Lacoste has a Black Label (Club) line that was available at Lacoste boutiques and Neiman Marcus. These shirts were retailed for $125. When comparing the cream of the crop from both brands, Polo comes on top, in terms of fabric quality, workmanship and overall feel of the shirts.

3)\tQuality of Lacoste shirts has deteriorated noticeably. The two Lacoste shirts I brought last fall have shown signs of wearing out after only few washes. These shirts were Made in Peru. I have not had similar experience with the Polo shirts after only a few washes. Maybe that is why Lacoste is shifting North America production to El Salvador.

4)\tSome forum members mentioned brand prestige, Polo comes on top again. Here I based my assessment on the availability of high ended merchandise offered by both brands. Last fall, the most expensive Lacoste piece is a suede bomber jacket, retailed for $995.00 (http://shopapparel.lacoste.com/p/Clu...et/B002CSVU48). Polo Blue Label regularly produced items that were retailed for north of $2,000.00. I ignore Black and Purple Labels in this discussion.

5)\tOne of the best Polo shirts is available at polo.com, Bloomingdales and Saks. You can get these shirts in July/January for about $30 each.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

These are pima cotton polo shirts that were Made in Peru. None of my Lacoste shirts comes close to these pima cotton Polo shirts in comfort, quality, fabric and workmanship.

Last, maybe not the least is the availability of these shirts at good prices.

Lacoste: Lacoste boutiques marked down their $79.50 seasonal polo shirts 30%. Lacoste outlets are not much better alternative. I saw seasonal colors polo on sale at outlet for $59.99. Rarely some colors got marked down to $47.99. Your best bet for good deals Lacoste shirts lies with Macys. Twice a year (April and November), I found Lacoste shirts on sale at Macys for $24.00.

Polo: I don't need to elaborate deep discount on Polo shirts. They are available in so many venues (outlets, Ross, Marshall, TJ Max....). Again Macys has the best deals of all: $9.99, even $5.99 (using a $10 off $25 coupon) for RL polo shirts that were regularly $125.00.

baseball_guy

Reaction score
On my way to dinner tonight, I stopped by a Sears to see the Lands End polos everyone is talking about. I'll admit, they look like a good polo for $26 minus the 20% off.

I was at Nordstrom and saw the new "featherweight" Ralph Lauren polo and they look very NICE. The feel is very soft and light. I will be buying some.

Maybe we are all lucky there are so many good brands at every price point.

I love Lacoste. But I will buy other brands as well.

OldSchoolCharm

Reaction score
I stopped at a TJ MAXX to check out the Ralph Lauren polos they sell. It is the lower end version. People get what they pay for.

PLaydice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OldSchoolCharm
I stopped at a TJ MAXX to check out the Ralph Lauren polos they sell. It is the lower end version. People get what they pay for.

RL polo's have varying quality. They make hundreds of diffrent style's so its really a blanket statment to judge on what you get at TJ MAXX. RL makes polos in cashmere you find at nieman marcus and i have found the quality on these to be great. I cant find any mercerized lacoste polos while those are easy to find at tj maxx. RL does rely on other logos than his polo man which is a HUGE PLUS also make polos with NO LOGOS. goto a RL STORE(not outlet) goto a Lacoste STORE
then ask which one is more high end. lacoste doesnt sell 1000 dollar jackets sucka, RL does, people like the polo man because of THAT kind of brand cache. goto bloomingdales who has a bigger section? RL offers more colors and material options. RL is ******** all over lacoste right now.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tcnjbanker123
I agree completely. I'm not particularly tall, but to get the length I need I would need a lacoste polo 2 sizes up

Same problem here. Bought a Lacoste polo 8 years ago, shrunk just a bit and still going strong. The Lacoste shirts I bought last summer shrank at least 5 inches in length and don't fit quite right. Yeah, the label says not to put them in the dryer, but if you have to be that particular about your polo, they aren't for me.

I've stuck with BB Golden Fleece polos: lots of colors, good price, perfect fit for my body type.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by baseball_guy
Not true. If they sell solid basic color Lacoste for $30 give me a link to a true store with real Lacoste. I'll buy 5 of them.

Saw Lacoste polos in the several basic colors (navy, black, white, green, orange) at Costco today for $49.99.

jjj8989

Reaction score
I would define "higher end" as the most expensive product.

In that case it really depends where you live. Ralph Lauren is priced higher than Lacoste in Italy..and i have seen very stylish men wearing RL in Milan.

Same goes for Levis, Levis is a very different brand in Italy than in the US.

So, where you live determines how "high end" a brand is..

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectzix
i personally like the burberry polos
burberry_polo_shirt_tan.jpg
*sarcasm if anyone could not catch that

I am all about blatantly overpriced, fugly polos!!

DAAAAAAAAAANG.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a very long time I wore RL Classic fit mesh polos and now owning the Custom fits I must say it has further solidified the fact that I will wear no other polo. The Lacoste shrunk way too much.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Within the last week, I have seen Lacoste polos for sale at Costco, and Levis for sale at Brooks Brothers... What is the world coming to?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads