• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which car would you lease for 3 years?

Which car would you lease for 3 years as a short term option before upgrading?

• BMW 3 series

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • BMW 5 series

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Audi A5

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Mercedes C-class coupe

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Mercedes E-class coupe

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 11 15.5%

• Total voters

Berzerk91

Reaction score
I love my E Class coupe although the 335 is definitely a great alternative. I just wasn't a fan of it's appearance.

I wouldn't say MB falls below Audi in performance, I don't know where that came from. I can destroy A5s and A6s with my car in Sport mode. Benz definitely ranks below BMW and Infiniti in terms of speed though. The E-Coupe really isn't that big by the way, I park next to a 3 series at work and it's only a little longer even though it seems way bigger. Although I doubt you'll end up getting it. I also managed to get the maintenance package for free with my Benz along with US Open tickets and stuff. They've really treated me great.

I definitely wouldn't go with the Audi, underpowered and overpriced, plus they have horrible lease rates. Just because the MSRP is the same doesn't mean the lease rates will be similar. The BMW 5 series is awesome if you're okay with the size/having a sedan.

I highly recommend the Infiniti G37 coupe also, I could have an IPL G37 for what I pay for the Benz and sometimes I wonder "what if?". The interior isn't as nice as the other cars but it's so fun to drive.

Do you understand how to negotiate and calculate a lease? It isn't rocket science but I have a spreadsheet for calculating lease rates if that helps. Just need to look up the residuals and money factors and figure out what the MSRP vs invoice price will be and plug it in.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
didn't vote but if i did i would go with "Other" with "Other" being an M3.
-Jeff

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I would find much cooler **** than cars to blow my money on, like art, furniture, rhinestone-encrusted pocket pussies, or first edition copies of Moby Dick. At the very least, I'd spend it on stuff that comes with ownership.

:facepalm:

shadesofbeige

Reaction score
Thanks for that thoughtful rebuttal Berzerk91. I must say I have much more experience with BMW's and Audi's than Benzes. However, I did drive a 2007 CLK 500 recently. Although that massive V8 provides plenty of power, I never could shake the feeling that I was driving the car the size of a whale. It feels every bit as heavy as it is.

I also tend to define "performance" more in terms of handling than horsepower, especially on the subject of German cars. On that note, the steering on the CLK was very muted and unresponsive, I had a hell of a time just getting the thing into the garage. I'd hope that the C and E class coupes are very different cars from that one - Mercedes must have killed off the CLK name for a reason.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go E-class coupe. Just a nice car in a lot of ways.

But then again, I don't pretend I am about handling in the curves when most of my driving is in the city. I had a Boxster for a while, and then rode motorcycles, which was a hell of a lot more fun than a 3 series could ever be.

Berzerk91

Reaction score
Were you driving the Benz in S mode? I find that Mercedes is one of the few companies where their Economy mode is so much different from their Sport mode. Make sure you put the Benzes you test drive in sport mode. Try the shifter paddles and stuff too, pull off from 1st gear, etc..

Regardless, I agree that they cannot beat BMWs in terms of responsiveness and handling. I love the heavy steering of BMWs, you won't find that elsewhere and I definitely like the responsive "heavy" steering in my dads BMW more than my Mercedes'. My next lease will either be an MB or some BMW I'm sure (M5? :slayer:) .

For what it's worth you could probably get a loaded 335xi with the M-Sport package at a better deal that any other brand mentioned thus far. If you're willing to pay more taxes upfront and up your price range in terms of lease payment and insurance you could probably get the M3 convertible on a good deal too. Last I checked (a while ago -May 2011?) the lease rates and incentives on the convertible were great.

No one's mentioned the Porsche Cayman, it's probably $100-$200 more a month though. Probably a little harder to lease and whatnot, but tons more fun.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Depends on where you live. If you have 4 seasons and / or lots of rain, go with the Audi. I drive one, the all wheel drive system is brilliant.

Re performance, for what? To drive in traffic? Those are all well tuned, well designed, well fitted cars. People talk about performance as if you can do something with it. Unless you are using the car for track days dont worry about it. They are all in the same ball park.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, you might want to consider Infiniti if you're looking for lots of bang for your buck.. They also have a kick ass MSD program that allows you to buy down the money factor a substantial amount with 10 deposits. BMW has a MSD program although not nearly as good.

apz06

Reaction score
I'm finally finishing up my training so will get a "real" job in about 6 months. My plan is to trade in my current car for a leased car, then purchase a larger car when my income is more stable since I'm seeing a large uptick in income this year but want to save for a couple years first.
I'm having an extremely difficult time deciding which car to lease for 3 years. I don't have any family or kids yet, so which would you guys recommend if you were in my shoes:
BMW 3 series (the new coupe isn't out yet)
BMW 5 series (with the bump in 3 series prices, the 5 series price seems close to a loaded 3 series)
Audi A5 (heard performance is bad though?)
Mercedes C-class coupe (doesn't look that great, but I want a relatively smaller car)
Mercedes E-class coupe (much better than C-class, but might be too big since I don't have family)
Other (not sure what else to consider)?
I'm leaning more toward the BMW's since I wouldn't have to worry about maintanence either during those 3 years. I'm after a small-mid size car with decent performance but low hassle. What do you guys think?
ok so you said your after a small mid size car with decent performance right? Forget about the 5 series and e class then.A5 has less then impressive performance (the s5 aint bad), so that leaves the 3 series. If you go 335i the newer ones have a better seat of the pants feel due to a nice flat tq curve from the switch to a single turbo from twins in i believe 08. BUT the turbo 3 series are still plagued with fuel system gremlins. With that said for the best of all worlds get an m3. great reliability,great acceleration and handling, killer looks with the wider fenders, & **** gas milage lol. . . . .Just my 2 cents test drive em all & get what rocks your socks . . Hell i drive a supercharged z06 every day

Last edited:

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys! I guess I'll go test drive a 3 series, c350, A5, and a G35.

Couple more things if anyone has thoughts on these:

1. 335 vs. c350 in terms of performance?

2. c350 vs. e350? Looking at the specs, they have the same engine and same options? It seems like the only difference is the larger body of the e-class?

3. The current 2012 335 coupe is still the last series and not the F30 series right? Anyone know when the F30 coupes will come out, random internet blogs speculate mid-2012?

apz06

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys! I guess I'll go test drive a 3 series, c350, A5, and a G35.
2. c350 vs. e350? Looking at the specs, they have the same engine and same options? It seems like the only difference is the larger body of the e-class?
3. The current 2012 335 coupe is still the last series and not the F30 series right? Anyone know when the F30 coupes will come out, random internet blogs speculate mid-2012?

#1 335. also 335 is sooo much more capable with only a tune you can add around 80hp and 100tq
#2 c350 . e350 heavier with i believe same drive train
#3 same series. new one probably coming out in late 12 for 13 but really idk for sure

not a fan of the new audi a4/s4 b8s?

Berzerk91

Reaction score

1. 335 easily.
2. c350 for performance. e350 is only larger/better looking (imo, of course :embar:)
3. same series, don't think you'll be able to get F30 til much later in the year/2013.

Since you're leasing it's worth noting the 61% or so residual/.00195 MF on the BMW vs the 54%/.0014 or so residual/MF on the A5. (C350 2dr is 64%/.00225)

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This isnt your first "real" job is it?

It is my first "real" job since I've basically been in training the entire time (although making decent income doing it).

Thanks for all the input. I'll check out all the above mentioned cars: C350, A5, Infiniti IPL coupe, and BMW 328 (decided against 335 after reading a bunch of random online reviews stating the 335 has engine issues).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads