1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which car would you lease for 3 years?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by sportin_life, Feb 8, 2012.

Which car would you lease for 3 years as a short term option before upgrading?

1. BMW 3 series

18 vote(s)
    25.4%
  2. BMW 5 series

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Audi A5

23 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Mercedes C-class coupe

6 vote(s)
    8.5%
  5. Mercedes E-class coupe

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Other

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  1. eqpablon

eqpablon Senior member

^^Truthiness^^

People seem to be missing that what made that deal possible was the incredible residual of 64% and of course buying the MF down. It was a magical combo that seems to happen for one BMW model every year; last year it was the M3 convertible. IIRC for 2010 it was either the 740 or 750 that had some ridiculous deal for part of the year.

Seriously, go to www.bimmerfest.com and read up. BMW is one of the few brands where it actually makes some sense to lease.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Why do I suddenly feel like I have been doing it wrong. :happy:

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So returns lost on 5k goes to BMW, cost of trip to Germany....who pays for shipping? BMW I hope.

FYI, 75k car x .64 = 48k. user79 said it was a 75k car. So:

75k - 48k = 27k

Scroll up and you'll see:

$600 x 36 months = 21.6k

The math? She don't work.

Btw, got a 60% residual on my MB and only had to take a trip to my local dealer. :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

^the difference is probably that he got the car for ED invoice plus a couple hundred bucks. $75k (or $72k? it's unclear) is MSRP.

i missed the height of the leasing incentives for my M3, but i wasn't going to lease anyway. however, BMW gave me 1.9% APR plus a loyalty incentive to buy mine. also gave me invoice + $600. given that i have money in an investment that returns me over 1.9% a year, my cost of borrowing is essentially negative. BMW really does make it easier than anyone else to get into their cars.

5. username79

username79 Senior member

See my previous post where I talk about ED invoice. On a 75K car ED invoice would be 64K. Residual is calculated at US MSRP. BMW also offers 1.5K off twice a year. That's a cap cost of 62.5K plus applicable fees (ED leases do not include MACO/training/doc fees that USA leases incur) so let's assume a cap of 64K for simplicity. With a MF of .00081 that's $535/mo plus taxes.

$19260. :cheers:

The ED experience is very well done. The BMW Welt is an incredible building and the museum and factory are next door. You have access to a private lounge which is stocked with complimentary quality food and drinks. If you like sausage, beer, and Apollinaris you'll be happy. BMW covers shipping, insurance, free parking at the Welt, factory & museum tours, and a free meal at the Welt restaurant and a bunch of free swag including a CNC engraved M keychain (I love free shit). It was a first class experience through and through and unlike nearly any other luxury experience I can think of I saved thousands of dollars in the process. Thanks to the Bimmerfest forums for all the info -- even used the Priceline tip to stay at the 4 star Renaissance in Munich for 66 USD a night.

What do you mean by "returns lost on 5K goes to BMW?"

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

There are some strings but not a bad deal then.

The 5k thing is you could have been getting some return on it for five years. Not a big number, heaven knows, but still a fairly quantifiable amount.

As I've said though, I always get about a 60% residual at my local MB dealership, and that's for 15k a year.

7. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

I am thinking to lease an a4 / a5 later this year as a daily driver.
    in the same price range, I can get probably an STi leased for less.
    Just the debate between being 16 again or being mature and drive a slower car

8. username79

username79 Senior member

Why not get a 135i in the same price range and be mature with a faster car?

9. junior varsity

i cant lease 135i if i get options i want for the price i wanna pay ($400 or less with only fees down)
    ie. cameras, navi, parking sensors, sound system, heated seats etc
    it'll be a 128i and thats FAIL
    and i need to have awd b/c i need to go to boston for school :censored:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  10. username79

username79 Senior member

In that case I think the STi hatchback is an awesome car. I would definitely take one over the A4/A5 especially if you'd only be choosing the A4/A5 for the image. 200hp in the A5 is really uninspiring.

'Being 16 again' is all in how you drive it though I do think the STi has grown up a lot. I see a lot more young guys coming home from work in suit and tie in STIs than in Evos.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  11. junior varsity

yah but a5 looks 10x better than a sti/evo lol

12. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Cheaper to insure at least in my age group for my area. So A5 would gladly be my choice if I had the funds. But I imagine a CPO S5 would be priced close to a new A5?

13. junior varsity

you cant lease a CPO without getting put in the ass by unfriendly rates
    i wouldnt get an s5 - the v8 has been there for a million years and its not the most efficient engine in the world.
    i want to get the a5 b/c the 2.0t gets DECENT (at least) mpg for the daily commute
    and audis are extremely safe and practical with awd

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  14. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

You will, of course, need the right tires as well.

15. sonick

sonick Senior member

+1, RWD with proper snow tires will out-perform AWD with all season tires.

16. david3558

david3558 Senior member

I voted for the C-Class coupe, but I'm biased as I have a '12 C350. I get pretty great gas mileage and the car's got a totally refined interior (especially when compared to the C class of just last year). It's surprisingly spacious inside and the panoramic roof gives the illusion that it's "airy" when the shade is drawn back.