1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which car would you lease for 3 years?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by sportin_life, Feb 8, 2012.

Which car would you lease for 3 years as a short term option before upgrading?

1. BMW 3 series

18 vote(s)
    25.4%
  2. BMW 5 series

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Audi A5

23 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Mercedes C-class coupe

6 vote(s)
    8.5%
  5. Mercedes E-class coupe

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Other

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  1. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

I'm finally finishing up my training so will get a "real" job in about 6 months. My plan is to trade in my current car for a leased car, then purchase a larger car when my income is more stable since I'm seeing a large uptick in income this year but want to save for a couple years first.

I'm having an extremely difficult time deciding which car to lease for 3 years. I don't have any family or kids yet, so which would you guys recommend if you were in my shoes:

BMW 3 series (the new coupe isn't out yet)
    BMW 5 series (with the bump in 3 series prices, the 5 series price seems close to a loaded 3 series)
    Audi A5 (heard performance is bad though?)
    Mercedes C-class coupe (doesn't look that great, but I want a relatively smaller car)
    Mercedes E-class coupe (much better than C-class, but might be too big since I don't have family)
    Other (not sure what else to consider)?

I'm leaning more toward the BMW's since I wouldn't have to worry about maintanence either during those 3 years. I'm after a small-mid size car with decent performance but low hassle. What do you guys think?

2. Gambino

Gambino Member

I'd hold on to the car you have now til' you can afford to buy a new one. that's just me though
    If i had to choose though, it'd be the 5 series

3. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

That was my initial plan, but my current car (Acura TL) is 6 years old. I want to try to trade it in before it has any major problems and I'm getting a large bump in pay this year (my salary multiplies by 6x), so I see the lease as a loaner until my finances are fully stabilized.

4. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Coming from a cheap SOB. Calculate how much the car would cost over 3 years and then pay cash for a car in that price range, [​IMG]

~Kurt

5. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

The BMW's are great drivers, but austere and very pricey. They're also -- forgive me, because they're truly a blast to drive -- a bit cliche. The 3-series especially screams junior account exec with his first bonus. The Audi is elegant, and probably has the best interior, but I don't care for turbocharging, especially in city traffic. As for Benz, well, they're also cliche while also being relatively sedate.

I have an Audi A4 Avant and love it, and though it's gorgeous to behold, I think it's underpowered. (Handling is good, though.)

My wife has an Infiniti G37 sedan. And, frankly, it's the best car we've ever had. You can't argue with 328 horsepower, and the exterior styling is fantastic. It has also been 100% problem-free. My only gripe is the interior, which is nice, but not nearly as nice as the Audi's. (Then again, it was also several grand less expensive and boasts more features.)

If you haven't tried the Infiniti, get thee to a dealership.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  6. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Finishing residency or fellowship (cards)?

7. okay.w0w

okay.w0w Senior member

i was in a similar position. i went with the c-series. the interior was way better than anything else i sat in.

8. ettebe

ettebe Senior member

When it comes to cars, I am quite biased. I like Lexus over the competition (i.e Audi / MB / BMW). Seeing my parents had two different GXs over the years. When I start making some good money, I'd probably get myself the CT.

9. catside

catside Senior member

Love 335 if you are into driving and not too much comfort. Blast to drive.

10. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Senior member

I agree with catside, the 335i is the way to go on that list. That twin-turbo inline 6 engine is phenomenal, really powerful with decent gas milage and hardly any turbo lag. If you're looking for a small, sporty, luxurious car, you can't go wrong with the 3 series, seeing that they basically invented that segment. That said, they have become a bit bourgeois in the last decade or so, but I don't think that's a deal-breaker.

My girlfriend has a 2006 Audi A4 with the same (2.0T) engine as the current A5. Although it's a really really nice car, it lacks the speed and handling of my far from pristine 1997 M3, but the ride (with the sport package) is just as hard. The turbo lag is pretty annoying, put your foot down in 5th or 6th gear and nothing happens for about 4 seconds.

Mercedes is mainly selling you a badge, they fall behind BMW and Audi in performance and quality; I'd look elsewhere.

If you're not as concerned with performance, you may want to look at the Acura TSX. My friend just got a new 2012 and I was amazed at how well equipped and comfortable it was. Another friend has a new Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 that he's thrilled with. It seems like it would be pretty much on par with the A5 - better performance (41 more horses) less luxury - for a whole lot cheaper.

Hope my two cents can help. Good luck and congrats on the promotion!

11. GreenNYC

GreenNYC Senior member

Cars are a personal taste but I find the current Acuras to be among the ugliest ever made. Have you considered the S5?

12. stevent

stevent Senior member

A six year old TL shouldn't really have any issues.

You can pick up a lease return 5 for just a bit more than the price as leasing a low end 3 for three years

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  13. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I would find much cooler shit than cars to blow my money on, like art, furniture, rhinestone-encrusted pocket pussies, or first edition copies of Moby Dick. At the very least, I'd spend it on stuff that comes with ownership.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  14. Macallan9

Macallan9 Senior member

:facepalm:

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

if you're not one of those 'car guys' who obsesses over lap times and horsepower and "mod-ability", all those options are similar enough while city driving. just test drive all of them and something will grab you about one of them - whether it be looks, the interior, the way it drives or some killer feature. either that or someone (most likely BMW) will offer you a killer lease deal and you'll just stop looking.

if i were faced with those options, i'd probably end up with a 335 coupe.

16. Berzerk91

Berzerk91 Well-Known Member

I love my E Class coupe although the 335 is definitely a great alternative. I just wasn't a fan of it's appearance.

I wouldn't say MB falls below Audi in performance, I don't know where that came from. I can destroy A5s and A6s with my car in Sport mode. Benz definitely ranks below BMW and Infiniti in terms of speed though. The E-Coupe really isn't that big by the way, I park next to a 3 series at work and it's only a little longer even though it seems way bigger. Although I doubt you'll end up getting it. I also managed to get the maintenance package for free with my Benz along with US Open tickets and stuff. They've really treated me great.

I definitely wouldn't go with the Audi, underpowered and overpriced, plus they have horrible lease rates. Just because the MSRP is the same doesn't mean the lease rates will be similar. The BMW 5 series is awesome if you're okay with the size/having a sedan.

I highly recommend the Infiniti G37 coupe also, I could have an IPL G37 for what I pay for the Benz and sometimes I wonder "what if?". The interior isn't as nice as the other cars but it's so fun to drive.

Do you understand how to negotiate and calculate a lease? It isn't rocket science but I have a spreadsheet for calculating lease rates if that helps. Just need to look up the residuals and money factors and figure out what the MSRP vs invoice price will be and plug it in.

17. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

didn't vote but if i did i would go with "Other" with "Other" being an M3.
    -Jeff

18. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

:facepalm:

19. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

:cheers:

:fistbump:

:nodding:

:thumbs-up:

20. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Senior member

Thanks for that thoughtful rebuttal Berzerk91. I must say I have much more experience with BMW's and Audi's than Benzes. However, I did drive a 2007 CLK 500 recently. Although that massive V8 provides plenty of power, I never could shake the feeling that I was driving the car the size of a whale. It feels every bit as heavy as it is.

I also tend to define "performance" more in terms of handling than horsepower, especially on the subject of German cars. On that note, the steering on the CLK was very muted and unresponsive, I had a hell of a time just getting the thing into the garage. I'd hope that the C and E class coupes are very different cars from that one - Mercedes must have killed off the CLK name for a reason.