• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Allen Edmonds Shoe to get

Mathew J

Reaction score
So I am in a bit of a pickle, I had a pair of AE burtons that served as my "nice" pair of shoes which I had to lose because they were dreadfully tight and killed me every time I wore them (for whatever reason I was convinced I was an 11D when in reality I am a 10 1/2 EEE)

Other than that I had two beater pairs of Florsheims, one brown the other black...the browns just fell apart (Sole fell off), the blacks are starting to go...

So I need a new pair of shoes at least, really two but right now I can only swing one, I also am going through the shoe bank as I can't dump 300 on a pair of shoes that I will wear daily and probabily kill with time. I loved the weybridge style but alas even with their sale the close to $300 price tag was a bit much, would rather buy two seconds for that one.

With that said here is what I have found is available to me, and which would you get of them and what color, I like the deep brown but am leaning black since I don't have a pair of default dress shoes any longer:

and the list with pictures:

Manhattan (Cognac)

Allen-Edmonds-Manhattan.jpg

Hale (Black, Chili, Merlot)

Allen-Edmonds-Hale.jpg

Perry (Black)

Allen-Edmonds-Perry.jpg

I am leaning towards the manhattan and hale but wondering what the concensus was here...thanks

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Hale is definitely the nicest. In-fact the rest, with the possible exception of the Perry, are all kinda horrible.

greyinla

Reaction score
Hale will probably be the most versatile.

I can't dump 300 on a pair of shoes that I will wear daily and probabily kill with time.
It's been said before, but two pairs of shoes rotated, w/ shoe trees, will hold up better than one pair worn daily, then replaced. And if $ is tight, have a pair of sole protectors put on to save you the cost of a resole. You can get many years from a pair this way.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hale......

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this list, Hale x100000

You should really get Strands with the 10% discount instead though.

caligula455

Reaction score
I vote Hale only from this list, but also second the Srands.

nothing wrong with brown default shoes either.

trader

Reaction score
if someone put a gun to my head and made me wear one of those shoes i would have to pick hale...

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
if someone put a gun to my head and made me wear one of those shoes i would have to pick hale...
+1, could not have said it better myself

Edit: On 2nd thought, maybe you should go with the Berkeley
thumbs-up.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads