• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Allen Edmonds Shoe to get

Nas

Reaction score
I think those are all ugly besides the Hale and Perry.

Mathew J

Reaction score
So if you go hale then what color? I am torn between the black and the deep brown and I was leaning more towards the Hale anyway, thanks

Which are strands and what is this 10% spoken of?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the Hale Merlot out of those choices. Do not pay retail or you're crazy.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greyinla
Hale will probably be the most versatile.

It's been said before, but two pairs of shoes rotated, w/ shoe trees, will hold up better than one pair worn daily, then replaced. And if $ is tight, have a pair of sole protectors put on to save you the cost of a resole. You can get many years from a pair this way.

So this is my game plan, I live up north and work in a field where dress isn't much of a concern, but I am trying to move up so looking better helps...

The winter is comming and I have a pair of beater AE commuters that I will wear in the worst of it and slum it up....I will try and save for another pair of nice shoes then, it is hard dedicating the money to them when I really don't "need" them given my work doesn't require me to look at all presentable.

I was going to get something dressy yet versitile for the office, have some sole protectors put on, and then only wear them for work.

I am tired of spending a few hundred a year on crap shoes only to have them fall apart, too many only go for maybe 9 months which is why I am looking for something nicer.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Get the Hale Merlot out of those choices. Do not pay retail or you're crazy.

Thanks, these are all from the bank/outlet...I have worked with the guy in freeport and am working with him again.

The hale is about 180 so not over my budget, but the perry is something I also like for a little less money.

And the hale I am torn between the merlot or the black...the conservative side of me says go black as I won't have to buy a new belt
smile.gif

greyinla

Reaction score
You could always get the Hale in both merlot and black.
smile.gif
For your purposes, the Perry might not be a bad choice for winter, either, as it already has a full rubber sole.

Either way, you shouldn't be spending a few hundred $ a year on shoes that fall apart. If you're walking around in the slush, even a pair of Red Wings or gore tex hiking boots would have to be more economical.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greyinla
You could always get the Hale in both merlot and black.
smile.gif
For your purposes, the Perry might not be a bad choice for winter, either, as it already has a full rubber sole.

Either way, you shouldn't be spending a few hundred $ a year on shoes that fall apart. If you're walking around in the slush, even a pair of Red Wings or gore tex hiking boots would have to be more economical.

Typically I spend about $150/ year on shoes at least, the last two pair I had were florsheims and were about 80-90 each, bought them about two months apart and in less than a years time they fell apart.

same story with J&Ms I had prior and then some Eccos....

and with the Perry having a rubber sole that knocks it off my list, thanks for that info.

Stony32

Reaction score
+1 for the Hale. I'm not a fan of the Perry's blucher style and slightly squared toe. The wholecut Manhattan would be second choice, but there's something about the broguing I dont like.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hale as the least gruesome looking outta that pack.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Hale as the least gruesome looking outta that pack.

lol, so this is saying they are all bad huh
smile.gif

fwiw here is what I really liked,
allen234365_73355_jb.jpg

Don't know if those are considered ugly

I also checked out the strand, and while nice they are a bit dressy for my work, would love a pair though.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Any other thoughts or suggestions appreciated, thanks and thoughts on colors as I like all three...(Chili, Black, Merlot)

phillyesq

Reaction score
I'd go with the Hale in black, with Hale in Merlot as a second choice. Since you don't have a lot of depth in your shoe rotation, this is the choice -- it will give you a very solid option.

click here

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
if someone put a gun to my head and made me wear one of those shoes i would have to pick hale...

I'm probably a shoe noob so can someone explain why these shoes look bad? Too me, they all look fine...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads